Horn goes off when key is turned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
The other day after washing my truck the horn went off..
didnt think nothing of it because it stopped. Now everytime I turn the key it goes off,
this made me pull the fuse. Now the problem is , it drains the battery.

I had no issues before this, so I think its related, has anyone ever came across this and fixed.

the horn switch is part of the air bag and the only other thing is the clock spring.

my airbag was replaced last nov. for the recall.

any help would be appreciated.

2004 Ram Laramie 5.7

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's most likely going to be related to the clock spring. Or the harness up the column is chafed somewhere.

OP
OP
dorkfish

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
thanks for the reply, im leaning towards that as well, while doing a parasitic draw test fuse #51 is the problem, this runs the radio cluster courtesy lamps glove box underhood lamp map light and diagnostic connect. is there somewhere I can find a wiring diagram to see if any of these are connected to the clock spring. I know some radio controls are and the horn as well . im trying to see whats all on that circuit

OP
OP
dorkfish

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
I pulled my clockspring off and opened it up to inspect the ribbon.
it looked ok, I metered all the wires and they checked , so now im not to sure.
Ill still replace it because its not that much.

is there anything I should be looking at ?

OP
OP
dorkfish

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
since Im waiting fr a replacement clockspring i have been doing some testing.

Before doing anything besides pulling my fuse horn, my battery would drain in about 1-2 days.
this never started until they day the horn went off while I turned the key, then pulled the fuse.

did the draw down test with everything in, including the horn,, fuse 51 was causing the drain

pulled horn fuse, same results

removed clock spring, same results, still a draw on 51
reconnected battery for ***** n giggles with out clock spring and im still charged after 3 days.. confused on why I still have a draw on 51 but not draining.

EDIT: I just checked amp draw again because as I wrote that earlier, it did not make sense that I still had a draw on 51,,, upon rechecking the draw,, I had no draw with the clock spring totally disconnected from the loop.
Once my part arrives I will post an update, in case anyone else is having this type of issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
dorkfish

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
turns out it was the clock spring as indicated,

beware of the ebay buys, although it was cheap in my case it needed modification.
1st the signal cancel arms were larger not thinking I put it on anyway. the very first rotation it got stuck and broke the yellow pin the sits in the steering wheel.

what I did was pull the cancel switch ring on the clock spring and swapped them from old and new, it was a direct fit. then I just super glued the pin back on, installed and works great.
see pics..hope this helps someone else

cs2.jpg cs1.jpg

ZZedmonds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
I have a 2005 1500 that started doing the same thing. Clock spring is on order. I hope that does the trick.

OP
OP
dorkfish

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
forgot to post an update.. after I replaced the clock spring I had the same problem, ended up being the horn pad, work out a deal with the dealer to diagnos and replace the pad for a total of a $100. havent had an issue since

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
forgot to post an update.. after I replaced the clock spring I had the same problem, ended up being the horn pad, work out a deal with the dealer to diagnos and replace the pad for a total of a $100. havent had an issue since

Hello dorkfish,
We are certainly happy to hear you were able to solve your concern with the help of your dealer. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We're always happy to help.
Laura
RamCares

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
The horn problem seems to be common. 1 amp is read at fuse 51 and battery drains in couple days. The horn switch or relay in pad goes bad. 1 amp at fuse 51 may be my nirmal for a period after truck us shut down,though. Multimeter must be left on continuously for at least minute or you will always get 1 amp reading. So much stupid.

Last edited: