Horn operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Haven’t found anything in the search on this. I have 2016 1500 BH. Anyone notice how hard it is to beep the horn? I’m talking like when your driving through a parking lot and someone starts to back out and you want to give a little warning toot. I can tap tap tap until I pass them and nothing. Or the light turns green and you want to give a wake up toot. Unless you really press down for an annoying full blast I can’t seem to get a spot for a courtesy beep. Anyone have this issue? Is there a spot I’m missing that you can hit that is more sensitive?

thanks.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's definitely a known "characteristic" of our RAMs. Maybe it's not a thread but I've read it in the post mentioned by Handicap 15. My 2012 was like that and honestly I haven't checked if it was addressed in my 2019 (for that reason I don't use it much, so I don't recall). I'd imagine if it uses the canbus it's the same, but now I'm curious....

I agree to the friendly taps but since we can't, it makes me rarely use it. I had my fill of needing to blast people to move, in my other truck ← ← ← :D.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont have this issue with my 2011 maybe its only a thing in later years?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have this issue with my 2011 maybe its only a thing in later years?
Yes it seems to be something about how the horn goes through the bcm in addition to normal relay(s).

Bcm from 2013+ is different than earlier, the issue probably started around 2013 I bet. It is annoying and I'm honestly surprised they haven't been forced to fix it because the delay seems like it could be considered a safety issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah my 13 is almost like it asks if I really want to before it works.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It IS annoying. I don't honk a lot, but you always get the person in front texting, not taking off on the green light and want a quick honk to wake them up, but it ends up being a long honk by the time you hit it the right way. Why can't they just put a couple small buttons on it, like the old cars?

May have to see if anyone offers an aftermarket one so I could add a button to the dash...

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
My 2015 Big Horn allowed small taps on the horn and I think my 2018 does so as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I just checked mine again, if you just hit it real quick and let go it will honk real quick but it's delayed. If you hold it down until it sounds then you'll get a real long honk.

Regularjay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes SUPER annoying in my 2013. It's like it has super stiff springs under the horn pad - you really have to punch the pad to get it to work.

Kevin H1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven’t found anything in the search on this. I have 2016 1500 BH. Anyone notice how hard it is to beep the horn? I’m talking like when your driving through a parking lot and someone starts to back out and you want to give a little warning toot. I can tap tap tap until I pass them and nothing. Or the light turns green and you want to give a wake up toot. Unless you really press down for an annoying full blast I can’t seem to get a spot for a courtesy beep. Anyone have this issue? Is there a spot I’m missing that you can hit that is more sensitive?

thanks.
My 14 same way have to drive my fist into it and like u said full blast or nothing

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yes SUPER annoying in my 2013. It's like it has super stiff springs under the horn pad - you really have to punch the pad to get it to work.

The horn pad sort of rocks on a pivot in the center, so if you push it on the left or right side real quick and let go it'll honk real quick. If you push in the center nothing will happen. I was doing that in the beginning then realized you're supposed to push on one side or the other. But it is pretty stiff.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had a 13 and now a 17, and they are both the same. Push hard enough to lose control to get a beep. Also, I don't know where the horn is mounted, but it seems louder in the cab than it is outside.

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2014 1500 the horns are located inside the left front fender above the tire. You need to remove then fender well cover or remove the battery and fuse box to get to them. Domb place to put them.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree totally-my Bighorn has a Big horn- and it takes a hell of alot pressure for it to sound and when it does it is loud and long. You cant just tell someone infront of you to move along-its always a long freight-train blast!! And then its embarrassing -its like"I wasnt that pissed off-just telling you the light is green" and forget about saying bye-bye to friends with a toot-toot!---Its a blahhhhh!!!! so loud it wakes their neighbours. I thought i was the only one who noticed this-I dont even use it anymore.