Horsepower gains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A buzz kill would be spending 3k on a truck and still getting beat by the idiot in the Honda. As the OP put it. He asked for opinions and he's gettin them. They may not be what he wants to hear. But it's his money and his truck.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or reality kicks in!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Amazing how fast a buzz kill comes on a thread.
Next we will here if you do 40 in a 30...we could run over a puppy...or a little kitten.

Buzz kill???.....:think:...... Please..... I love spanking ricers light to light or 0-60..... I just don't make or leave them in a cloud of smoke. Unless you have diesel, making a cloud of smoke off the line is a bad thing and causes bad/really bad things to happen SPECIALLY on a public street.

And YES damn-it you could run over a puppy or kitten or even a kid going 40 in a 30 on a public/residential road....:nono:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I almost hit a puppy last night in my neighborhood doing 15 in a 15. That would of made me feel bad an "kill my buzz" but I got a soft side for puppies. Cats not so much

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
Basically I am tired of a truck having only 215 horse at the crank…

And cats are worthless

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
And to the person who said I was just seeking opinions and I may not be happy with what I'm hearing.

You are kind of correct…

Basically I was looking to see if anyone had ever taken on a project similar to this and maybe get some of his insight.

What I have heard so far is nobody has done anything like this with the v6.

This doesn't mean I still won't try this a project for a couple years in the future, but I like to plan. And by then maybe something else for my engine may be available.

However, when I do tackle this project I will be sure to post everything on this forum pictures included.

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
I don't think 3 grand will get me up to 450…

If i got beat by an idiot in a rice burner, I would not care.

I still am supporting my country, and I would never subject myself to being stuck in a little ass car, unless it was a viper.

kdarr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
Truckin...the guy was just talking about leaving a rice burner in smoke...in jest. Oh course that leads to truck sliding...safety hazard BS. Oh course He or I would endanger anyone.
Lets try not to take everything literally...that is what I meant by a buzz kill. Oh course...in jest about the puppies and kittens...you turned that into me hitting Kids.

Dude, you really have to lighten up.

FYI...thanks

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
Most superchargers are in the 5-6k range plus tuning. Thats with no engine mods.

Like i said, i still have my original tires from 04, so you dont need to melt your tires to get a little rush every now and then. Sometimes its just nice knowing you have the power if you need it.

kdarr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
Dma, love the superbees and rumblebees...you are a lucky man.

I looked into a supercharger...5-6 K...gonna start saving.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thnx!
I drive them both very easy.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most superchargers are in the 5-6k range plus tuning. Thats with no engine mods.

Like i said, i still have my original tires from 04, so you dont need to melt your tires to get a little rush every now and then. Sometimes its just nice knowing you have the power if you need it.

Original tires still? How much do you drive it? Ive never had tires that last 10 years =O

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Work is only six miles round trip and i switch to my company supplied work truck during the day. Rumblebee has 26k miles now. I bought it a few months ago but the 04 dakota i traded in only had 32k and i just replaced them because they were starting to crack.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Truckin...the guy was just talking about leaving a rice burner in smoke...in jest. Oh course that leads to truck sliding...safety hazard BS. Oh course He or I would endanger anyone.
Lets try not to take everything literally...that is what I meant by a buzz kill. Oh course...in jest about the puppies and kittens...you turned that into me hitting Kids.

Dude, you really have to lighten up.

FYI...thanks

Lighten up?.......Guess you don't know what sarcasm is. Of course since you didn't catch it the first time, should have figured you probably wouldn't catch it there either. Of course I would hope everyone would have a little common sense when doing any sort of speeding while on a public road, but everyone knows that common sense and going over the speed limit doesn't always go hand in hand (some people are just idiots when it comes to driving). The OP asked what the harm was, and the safety issues are the harm. Of course if you want to get even more into the rest of the safety hazard "BS" like blowing a tire and other harm to your vehicle as well as others that "could/can" happen while creating that nice big cloud of smoke we could go on all night but that wouldn't be a whole lot of fun. That being said I am right, leaving a cloud of smoke is good for movies, not real life... And of course I would bring children into the mix when talking about things that you (not meaning you directly, but as in anyone who reads through the thread) could hit while speeding down a street. Puppies and kittens don't really have the same shock and horror value as a little kid / toddler / person out pushing a stroller has. Of course since we are not suppose to be talking about anything realistic or serious, I guess butterflies and fairies should be used instead.

So please, sit back on the couch, grab a cold beer, and relax a little. :cheers:

BTW...... Thanks and have a good night

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
ramman87 - My wife's Nitro has the 3.7 in it and it has some pep to it, scoots around town nicely but it is also about 1000lbs lighter than a rcsb ram. There is nothing wrong with that engine but it should never have been put into a heavy truck. Figure the engine is rated at 210hp at the crank stock, that is right around the 150-160 mark at the wheels. In a car, its not horrible, but in a truck it just doesn't cut it.

Just to get a better idea, to hit what a bone stock 3rd gen 5.7 hemi puts out, you will need to add at least another 100rwhp. By all means, if you want to try to build the engine up, and not just slap a supercharger or turbo onto it, then please do so. Just know that there are no superchargers or turbos specifically for the 3.7 because they kept blowing the engine. The piston ring lands were not strong enough to maintain the boost. So if you are wanting to build the engine up you literally need to rebuild the engine, then get the performance parts, then have a means of custom tuning it.

If it were me, I would add up the cost on what it would take to purchase everything and unless you can do it all yourself, figure out the costs to have a shop do some of the work, and the down time in which the truck will be down to add all the parts to it to figure out if it is something you are willing to invest in. Odds are it will be cheaper to either buy a new engine/trans combo and PCM/TCM or trading in your truck for one identical to it with a 5.7 instead of the 3.7.

Or better yet, if you just want to have a quick street truck while keeping the same truck, the same 3.7, shave off as much weight as possible and do what ever bolt-ons as you have available (which I believe is a tuner, exhaust and cai, maybe a custom ground cam if you can tune it). You wont get near the hp increase as a hemi or 4.7 for that matter, but shaving off as much weight as possible can offset that hp difference a little.

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
truckin151 that was a great post.

I see where you are coming from.

A sensible point of view would be to just put in a new motor, but that is just to simple to me.

I love a challenge, and am capable of doing a very large amount of the work myself.

I am hoping that in the future maybe a blower kit will become accessible.

Trust me I want to take this engine down to the block get everything milled and then every single piece i put back on will be a performance piece capable of handling boost.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If you want the challenge, see how much weight you can reasonably drop off the truck to make the power to weight ratio a little better. Then figure in the performance mods. It'll never be a 12sec truck, but you could probably get it to where a stock hemi is with less hp by reducing the weight and some moderate engine work

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
I have a question? Besides for removables(spare tire, seats, a/c, etc) and lighter rims & tires. What else can you remove? Are you suggesting replacing things with lighter aluminum ones? Im just curious and maybe my inquisition will give the OP more ideas.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Go Roadkill style: Ditch the hood.

Increases engine cooling anyhow. :D