Horsepower gains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
Hello, what are ways to boost overall horsepower,

I am interested in all possibilities with the exception of a cold air intake, and a chip.

However, what about exhaust system or building a whole new engine.
Using performance parts.

Your thoughts are appreciated

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Why not on the CAI and chip/programmer? Have bad experiences with them before?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're gonna need some way of custom engine control after adding any power adder whether it be cam, heads, larger displacement, nitrous, or forced induction.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
A supercharger is a quick start.
Its expensive and a bit of work but one way to increase power. It certainly feels like a different engine when boost kicks in.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^Oh, but he'd need a different intake system as well as a tuner for it to operate properly.

:laughing1:

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
The reason I am not interested in a Cold Air or Chip, is because I plan on supercharging the truck. So its going to have its own intake, and I will have to update the computer for the supercharger anyway.

However, I have just a lowly v6, trying to make the truck into a sort of sleeper. Anyways, Research I have done shows the average twin-screw supercharger can increase your engine horsepower by about 50%. So I think if I can boost engine HP before I supercharge, the gains by the supercharger will be bigger. Also I think if i build an engine with stronger parts, I may be able to run more boost, without blowing the thing.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
Headers and a good exhaust so you can push all that forced induction out more easily.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The reason I am not interested in a Cold Air or Chip, is because I plan on supercharging the truck. So its going to have its own intake, and I will have to update the computer for the supercharger anyway.

However, I have just a lowly v6, trying to make the truck into a sort of sleeper. Anyways, Research I have done shows the average twin-screw supercharger can increase your engine horsepower by about 50%. So I think if I can boost engine HP before I supercharge, the gains by the supercharger will be bigger. Also I think if i build an engine with stronger parts, I may be able to run more boost, without blowing the thing.

To put it quite plainly: you're going to blow the bottom end of a 3.7 out as there are no aftermarket parts for those engines available.

Hell, you'd almost be better off building a 4.7 out.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Save save save and buy a Hemi. I'm glad i didn't build my old V6

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Building out a 3.7 will end in heartbreak. The bottom end of that engine will not withstand forced induction for very long. If you need V8 power, get a V8. It will be money invested instead of "blown". LOL

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
I was afraid of that answer. This is the first vehicle I ever had, and its truly a great truck.

I just wanted to make it a little sportier and faster once I got a new daily driver.

And I wanted to keep the same engine, but if I have to do an engine swap…idk

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was afraid of that answer. This is the first vehicle I ever had, and its truly a great truck.

I just wanted to make it a little sportier and faster once I got a new daily driver.

And I wanted to keep the same engine, but if I have to do an engine swap…idk

Engine swaps are a headache and very expensive. Just buy a Hemi equipped truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Or maybe you could remote turbo it and have a custom tune done....

Then when you blow up that engine, swap everything over to manual control and drop an old school 440 in it. :devilfinger:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Start shopping for a new engine, then a new trans, then update the rear end...... By the time you are done, picking up a used truck with a hemi will probably be cheaper

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
Does anyone know where I can find a turbo for the 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi or a supercharger? Or if they even build one?

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
I'd rather keep the same truck, the overall cost of the job is not something i am very concerned about.

A headache of an engine swap is something I look forward too.

Everything can be accomplished with patience and drinking.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make it look good Any money thrown at performance is just gonna be disappointing. I remember a fire s rocking his 3.7 ram for 6-7yrs it was a sweet slow ride.

OP
OP
R

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
From anybody with experience doing any sort of 3.7L mods.

Do you know what they can all handle.

There was a time in the mid 2000's where, pro charger? made a supercharger kit for the 3.7 so obviously it can handle a little bit of a boost, but how much.

Overall plans for this truck are to loose some weight, change rear end gears and the tranny, make it faster 0-60 essentially. However, i'm a horsepower *****. Rough ideas on how much a 3.7L can handle until it ***** it pants.

I truly appreciate all comments on this and all the help offered.