How do i remove the belt from my 2011 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know this is probably dumb question but I want to make sure I do it right but I need to remove the belt from my 2011 it has the 5.7 . ive never really done anything with these motors so want to make sure I do it right ,I have a squeaking type of noise and want to take it off and check things out , the belt looks good I even used a little belt dressing on it but it comes right back so kind of thinking it something else making the noise I did pick up a new belt so got that just in case . so if anyone's got any picks of what I need to loosen up and what I need to do that would be great , and thanks

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if you pop the hood there should be a diagram showing you the belt routing and location of the belt tensioner. pretty straightforward.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that's what I thought I looked the other day and couldn't find it any other rigs I have/had always had one right on the support but nothing I can find on this truck .

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 2011 doesn't have a diagram either. Just draw out the routing on a piece of paper. Order a new belt from Rockauto or Amazon. The gatorbacks are real good in my opinion, they have recently been bought out by Continental.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My first truck was a 95 Dakota and it would have a squeaking. Ended up being the water pump. But every pulley basically got replaced trying to find that damn noise.

I also found the belt to be making noise a little. Was told bar soap helped, and it did better then the belt dressing and made it smell good haha.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2011 doesn't have a diagram either. Just draw out the routing on a piece of paper. Order a new belt from Rockauto or Amazon. The gatorbacks are real good in my opinion, they have recently been bought out by Continental.

got a new belt just in case i needed it but have a feeling the noise might be something else . not sure which pulley to loosen to remove belt .

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found it easier to remove the belt by goin from the bottom with my breaker bar to move the tensioner pulley. then go back up top to remove the belt.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found it easier to remove the belt by goin from the bottom with my breaker bar to move the tensioner pulley. then go back up top to remove the belt.

which one is the tensioner pulley ? is it the one about in the middle of the motor and what size socket does it take ? about how much do I need to loosen the bolt to get it to move ? thanks

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
which one is the tensioner pulley ? is it the one about in the middle of the motor and what size socket does it take ? about how much do I need to loosen the bolt to get it to move ? thanks

man, dont get me lying to you. It has been a year. It is one in the middle on a spring loaded arm. Socket size : the one that fits? :crazy: put it on with your breaker bar and you will basically be moving the arm, not removing the pulley.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
man, dont get me lying to you. It has been a year. It is one in the middle on a spring loaded arm. Socket size : the one that fits? :crazy: put it on with your breaker bar and you will basically be moving the arm, not removing the pulley.

ok thanks , the next day it doesn't rain i'll take a crack at it . I'm still wondering if its one of the pulleys that's making a noise I looked at the belt the best I can and it looks good its only got 15,000 on it .

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently had a squealing noise from the belt didn't have time to deal with it and didnt know if it was the belt or pulley so I had the dealer take care of it when they did my recall. I think it was around $80 for belt and labor and no more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently had a squealing noise from the belt didn't have time to deal with it and didnt know if it was the belt or pulley so I had the dealer take care of it when they did my recall. I think it was around $80 for belt and labor and no more issues.

I picked up a gates belt think it was $28 so have that . haven't got any recalls on mine but I do need to take it in soon the rear seal in the rearend is leaking and I have some kind of a bounce/shake that starts in the rear and goes to the front of the truck which they are going to check out they thought it was out of balance tires but that's not it .

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I see your from VT who's your dealer ?

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have brought my truck to Paquins, didnt buy the truck there but they have treated me right thus far. I do my own general maintenance but if its above that then Id use them again.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have brought my truck to Paquins, didnt buy the truck there but they have treated me right thus far. I do my own general maintenance but if its above that then Id use them again.

i bought mine at crosstown in Littleton NH and have had my service done by them so far . I have got between my self and my kids 5 rigs from them [ 2 were bought 3 were / are leases ] but thinking of looking for another dealer not real happy right now with the sales dept. and the same with there service dept. local dealers are the worse cant make a deal with them .

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
does anyone have a picture or diagram of how the belt goes around ? I tried taking pics but couldn't really get it . I tried look around on the web to no luck , thanks

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a different vehicle I had there was a serious squeaking coming from the belt. I replaced it with a Dayco brand which was quiet for about a week. I took that back off and aquired a Gates brand which lasted almost a month until the squeak came back. My parts guy took it back and gave me a Goodyear gator back belt in return. 50k miles later I still didn't have a squeak from the belt. The difference in the Goodyear and the others is the Goodyear has cross cuts which the other dont. Now with all that said, when you have the belt off make sure ALL of the pulleys are clean and rust/debris free. If need be take a wire brush and scrub the pulleys as necessary before re-installing the belt. Also draw yourself a diagram of the belt routing before removal so it saves you time and aggravation when installing it.

OP
OP
O

outdoorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On a different vehicle I had there was a serious squeaking coming from the belt. I replaced it with a Dayco brand which was quiet for about a week. I took that back off and aquired a Gates brand which lasted almost a month until the squeak came back. My parts guy took it back and gave me a Goodyear gator back belt in return. 50k miles later I still didn't have a squeak from the belt. The difference in the Goodyear and the others is the Goodyear has cross cuts which the other dont. Now with all that said, when you have the belt off make sure ALL of the pulleys are clean and rust/debris free. If need be take a wire brush and scrub the pulleys as necessary before re-installing the belt. Also draw yourself a diagram of the belt routing before removal so it saves you time and aggravation when installing it.

Ok thanks for the info ill make sure to wipe off etc the pulleys but is it just me or is it a tight squeeze in there ! lol seems like most of the newer rigs have a lot more room then these rams . I cant remember what brand I did buy now its on my back seat of the truck .