How effective is your air con on new 2500's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RedDuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Likely a silly question. Is there anything that can be done (within reason) to improve the cooling performance? As I say, 2020 2500 Limited.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Likely a silly question. Is there anything that can be done (within reason) to improve the cooling performance? As I say, 2020 2500 Limited.

One class I attended the instructor, who has a shop way down in Brownsville, Tx said that he knew of several places retrofitting 134 into the new vehicles in order to make the HVAC colder. He said that it works, but that it is technically illegal. Seeing as I'm in the twilight of my automotive career, I can't really see spending north of 10 grand to tool up for the new stuff.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine is okay. I find it takes a long time to cool off the truck when it’s been in the sun all day versus shade, think the black dash just absorbs the heat like crazy. Once the truck is cooled off it’s fine, but when it’s 90+ here the humidity is like 20%. Hottest day a couple weeks ago it was 106 with 9% humidity.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
do you have a electric fan for cooling on the radiator cuz the old way sucks lucky a easy fix on older rams theres a fan for the 6 fits right in ! but feel you would want a turner set 190 to keep things really cool when in the 90 s outside ! not sure do these trucks have the old type resore can on them not mine but think could be the problem guessing went to school and mine has been crap for years ! really need to have gauges to see the low and high top off looking at the high saw on u tube ! got mine pretty good top off but was a pain to do a few days !

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been north of 90 degrees here in CT for most of the last month. No complaints at all, its a little loud at full steam, if i could find anything to complain about.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For you guys disappointed with the AC have you noticed if the air coming out of the passenger side vents is cooler than the air coming out of the driver side vents?

I have single zone AC so i can't comment, but several guys on HDrams.com have noticed this, and I may have accidentally stumbled across why this is while doing some logs with AlfaOBD trying to get a 12" Uconnect working properly in my tradesman.

Ted B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took delivery of a new 2500 Limited Mega cab. Traded a 2015 1500 Sport (same cab). Love the truck in every respect except the air-con. I don't think it's just my imagination that the cooling coming out of the vents on Lo is not as cold as it was on the 1500. For sure it takes much longer to cool this cab than the 1500 cab and they are very similar in size.

Before I take it to the dealer too heck it out, anyone have any advice? Thanks

Ted B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take to get checked out ASAP. My 2011 2500 blows ice cold and cools fairly quick. I am in the space coast area. It’s hot!!

S11871G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a problem with the 2019 and 2020 ram 2500 and 3500 air conditioners I have had mine to the dealer twice. They confirmed that their brand new trucks on the lot had the same issue. The issue is the driver side center vent blows 10 to 12 degrees warmer than the rest of the vents. So the driver is getting warm air while the passenger is getting cooler air. Even on a cool morning when the vents are on cool with the AC off, that vent blows warm air while the other three blow the same temperature as the outside air. FCA does not have a fix for it yet. They are trying to say its normal until enough people complain. If you pinch off the heater core hose your AC temps will go to normal like what any other R134A system will run for temps.
I tracked mine down myself, The problem seems to be with the driver side blend door leaking hot air from the heater core. Chrysler refuses to fix it and they dont want to admit to the defect due to the huge cost of pulling the dash and heater box on thousands of new trucks. The issue is most likely the heater box manufacturer/supplier, since Chrysler likely buys it from another vendor.
By the way, I am ASE Master and advanced level certified and have multiple Heavy duty certifications. I worked for Chrysler for 11 years and I was Chrysler Master certified in All Chrysler academy curriculums until 2014 when I left Chrysler.

Last edited:

SCUBAJAKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Diesel
My 2001 Diesel had a basic three or four position switch controlling the fan speed, and that AC could freeze you out on a hot summer day. My brand new 2020 Limited just doesn't have the same ability.

S11871G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By the way, 2019 and 2020 Ram 2500/3500 ARE an R134A system.
Here's the performance chart directly from techconnect and here are the readings I got on my truck from the vents. It doesn't even meet their own specs.
Here is the Chrysler customer care number to call after two or three dealers refuse to fix it for you.

20200601_222250.jpg

20200601_222201.jpg

Last edited:

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have brand new 2020 1 week old 3500 Mega Cab 6.4. I got rid of my 2016 Mega Cab 6.4. They both cool well. We have a 2020 Crew Cab 6.4 here at work, 8000 miles or so that doesn't get that cold. I know what you are talking about but I am glad mine is cold.

German Shepherd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Went with a buddy to have his 2020 Ram 1500 AC checked out. It was not cooling the cab as he thought it should. First thing out of the service managers mouth, I kid you not, was "are you sure you have the windows rolled up". I thought my buddy was going to deck him. Ended up going round and round until he took the guy for a ride and his cab never cooled off. Eventually had to leave his truck there for a few days to get it right. They claimed bad coolant, on a brand new truck! If you find a good dealership that takes pride in doing their customers right keep them on your Christmas card list. You are blessed!

beepster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a newer member here and own a 2019 1500. As I have read, the general consensus on this forum is that the a/c on the new generation Ram SUCKS...I have owned virtually all brands over the years and agree with this consensus. It seems that most new models of any brand have their glitches which are generally ironed out over a couple of model years...so it is with the RAM. Living in central FL I feel it worse than some of the others. Otherwise I love the truck.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went with a buddy to have his 2020 Ram 1500 AC checked out. It was not cooling the cab as he thought it should. First thing out of the service managers mouth, I kid you not, was "are you sure you have the windows rolled up". I thought my buddy was going to deck him. Ended up going round and round until he took the guy for a ride and his cab never cooled off. Eventually had to leave his truck there for a few days to get it right. They claimed bad coolant, on a brand new truck! If you find a good dealership that takes pride in doing their customers right keep them on your Christmas card list. You are blessed!

It's not the dealership in regards to the inept A/C.... it's the friggin EPA/Government and the new 1234yf refrigerant, plus the design of the actual heat exchanger (condenser).... You should see the cross section of one of the tubes! There are subchannels that are TINY! They are less than half the size of the 134a condenser! Also, the new kiddos working on these new-fangled HVAC have better been schooled about proper addition of A/C oil.... because any oil added upstream of the condenser on the high side will cause a restriction in the condenser and the refrigerant can't pick up the oil in that TINY cross section (about the diameter of a sewing needle, thus lower cooling!