How long to Bilsteins last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I'm at 106k on my 2017 and have the same 5100s on them since 1000 miles, all street/highway miles. I don't really notice anything odd with them, but the butt gets used to things over time so I'm not sure if its time to replace. How long do these typically last? Is there better out now? I saw the Fox 2.0 but the price makes be wanna cry a little. Been doing some 100k mile maintenance and these are next on the list, along with the transmission fluid/filters. Thanks for any help. Need off here for a while and need some enlightenment.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shocks do wear and they should be replaced every 50k miles to keep you suspension performing at its best. With that said, if youre driving on the street/hwy only a lot of people don't change them at the 50k miles mark because if they feel good and they're not leaking then they're not reminded their shocks need to be replaced. So If they feel good to you and they're not leaking leave them be and enjoy. If youre overhauling parts and you're happy with your current shocks just get a brand new set and call it a day. If you want to upgrade, now you have an excuse given the amount of miles. Fox 2.0's will ride better than 5100's any day of the week onroad and more offroad but if you're not offroading you won't notice a lot of differences though the 2.0's should feel even more sportier than 5100's, 5100's will be of course more cost effective in this instance.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used to be a saying that at 100,000 mile Bilstein are still 90%

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with that many miles they should be replaced. As mentioned 50k or so is the usually life for a shock/strut. As far as better options there are a ton, just depends on what you want to spend. 5100's are just a small step better than stock so options are plenty that are better than 5100's. In the 5100 price range the only other option worth looking at is the Eibachs and they are pretty equal

Message me if you would like a quote on anything.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Thanks gentleman. Will probably just replace the 5100s with the same. All 4 corners. And grease the hell out of all my bushings... Have a squeak that I can't track down. Any other suspension places to check? Running Mevotech uppers.