How to access the windshield washer reservoir for cleaning the screen on 2019 2500 6.4L New Body Style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXTornados

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My windshield washer has not been spraying water on my windshield, it only spits water when I press the button. I can hear the pump running. I have checked to see there is a leak in the tubing - no problem there. I have used an air hose to blow out the lines - all clear, water was sprayed on the windshield and when blew the line back to the reservoir, the lid blew off! Rather funny and I got wet. I press the button to spray water on the windshield, it takes a while, but only a spit of water comes out when pressing & releasing the button.

I took the driver wheel well liner down and couldn't access the connection where the water is sucked out of the reservoir. I was able to see it through the top of the engine, but was unable to get it to turn or pull out. Afraid to force it lest I break it and pay more to fix.

I have looked online and found that on the 2019 Classic style, there is a screen that gets clogged and after cleaning, it works great. Of course, there is no instructions on how to access the reservoir on my model. There is no Chilton manuals for my model and there is no forum threads that tell or show how to access the screen.

Does anyone have any help to guide me to fixing it myself? Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TXTornados

TXTornados

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
UPDATE: I flushed the reservoir with water and out came slime and gunk but it is not fixed. It still doesn't spray the water out like it should normally. Almost seems like there is a kink in the tubing. Any ideas?

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same truck you do, and I don't have the problem. My nissan NV200 I use for work had a similar problem. The dealer lost the cap when servicing once. I never really thought of it as a big deal. Then when the squirting problem showed up, I found a dead mouse in the bottle. Had to flush out the slime and clean the bottle real well to get it all working again.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same truck you do, and I don't have the problem. My nissan NV200 I use for work had a similar problem. The dealer lost the cap when servicing once. I never really thought of it as a big deal. Then when the squirting problem showed up, I found a dead mouse in the bottle. Had to flush out the slime and clean the bottle real well to get it all working again.

That might have save you from haveing the mouse eat your wires.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
UPDATE: I flushed the reservoir with water and out came slime and gunk but it is not fixed. It still doesn't spray the water out like it should normally. Almost seems like there is a kink in the tubing. Any ideas?
Try flushing it again with 70% or 99% rubbing alcohol,and quit using Rain-X washer fluid.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Have you ever used RainX washer fluid?
I did and it screwed up my washer thingy's...lol

I took it all apart and put in a new washer fluid pump (like $15 for the part), and then removed the washer fluid tank and thoroughly rinsed it with hot water and 99.9 alcohol and final rinse with boiled kettle water.
All works perfect now!

OP
OP
TXTornados

TXTornados

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Have you ever used RainX washer fluid?
I did and it screwed up my washer thingy's...lol

I took it all apart and put in a new washer fluid pump (like $15 for the part), and then removed the washer fluid tank and thoroughly rinsed it with hot water and 99.9 alcohol and final rinse with boiled kettle water.
All works perfect now!
Come to think of it, I did use RainX. Unfortunately, I can not find any repair manuals on removing the washer fluid tank or accessing it. I searched Youtube, forums, Mopar sites, Google & DuckDuckGo searches, couldn't find instructions to take it apart except to take to dealership. Not looking good.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Come to think of it, I did use RainX. Unfortunately, I can not find any repair manuals on removing the washer fluid tank or accessing it. I searched Youtube, forums, Mopar sites, Google & DuckDuckGo searches, couldn't find instructions to take it apart except to take to dealership. No looking good.
I think you'll have to take the grill off to access the washer fluid bottle,but try the rubbing alcohol trick first. If you get it working again,run a few tanks of rubbing alcohol through it,and do not use Rain-X in it,it has a habit of gumming up things,just use the cheap stuff from your local gas station or wherever you buy your washer fluid from

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been using RainX for years, in three different vehicles. Never had a problem. Except for the mouse in my previous post.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the rainx doesn’t play well with others. If you use a different brand/kind they will coagulate. Read that somewhere on the internet so it’s gotta be true.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've been using RainX for years, in three different vehicles. Never had a problem. Except for the mouse in my previous post.
Do a search on here,there's lots of stories about Rain-X not being compatiable with Rams washer system.Personally i'd just avoid it myself ,but thats just my 02 on it. Techinically you're not supposed to polish or wax a windshield,but everytime i wax or polish a vehicle the windows also get the same treatment,and so far it's never caused me any issues in 50 years of driving,but again,that's another one of them it's only my 02 :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Rain-x warning on container

No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Your Ram has a Plastic reservoir, a plastic motor housing, a plastic delivery tube

That isn't related to the issue. Rainx doesn't affect plastic. That statement is telling you it's not intended for use ON plastic.

As for the OP. Do what @Wild one and other post said. Clean it with IPA. 70-90% (purchase it on Amazon or local hardware store)

If that doesn't work, you will likely have to do some replacing.

Issue with Rainx, is over time the additives will be come gelatinous. This will cause clogs and/or cause issues for the motor.
As some people have used it for 'years'. It all depends on where you, washer fluid, how many times to use it (eg. sitting around for long time)

My guess is the motor is damaged. it might still work, but not correctly.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The only issue I ever had with Rain-X is that it coats the the level sensor in the tank and the truck thinks it's low on fluid.
Never had a problem with it spraying

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rain-x warning on container

No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

Your Ram has a Plastic reservoir, a plastic motor housing, a plastic delivery tube
That isn't related to the issue. Rainx doesn't affect plastic. That statement is telling you it's not intended for use ON plastic.

As for the OP. Do what @Wild one and other post said. Clean it with IPA. 70-90% (purchase it on Amazon or local hardware store)

If that doesn't work, you will likely have to do some replacing.

Issue with Rainx, is over time the additives will be come gelatinous. This will cause clogs and/or cause issues for the motor.
As some people have used it for 'years'. It all depends on where you, washer fluid, how many times to use it (eg. sitting around for long time)

My guess is the motor is damaged. it might still work, but not correctly.
That is for the Rain-X Original Glass Treatment - the stuff you squirt directly onto the windshield - not the Rain-X Washer Fluid Additive. Like this stuff:

1687096853369.png

OP
OP
TXTornados

TXTornados

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I appreciate the replies. I will siphon out the water and flush with alcohol. If that doesn't work, there seems to be no instructions on how to access the reservoir pump connection, except taking to a dealership. I can not find any repair manuals on removing the washer fluid tank or accessing it. Does anyone know where repair manuals are?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I watched a video, made by A1 Auto
The guy removed the Rams grille , 4 screws, 2 in plastic, 2 in metal, different threads
the motor is on the drivers side of the radiator shroud.
That motor is held in clips, the hose must be on the backside of the radiator shroud

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My windshield washer has not been spraying water on my windshield, it only spits water when I press the button. I can hear the pump running. I have checked to see there is a leak in the tubing - no problem there. I have used an air hose to blow out the lines - all clear, water was sprayed on the windshield and when blew the line back to the reservoir, the lid blew off! Rather funny and I got wet. I press the button to spray water on the windshield, it takes a while, but only a spit of water comes out when pressing & releasing the button.

I took the driver wheel well liner down and couldn't access the connection where the water is sucked out of the reservoir. I was able to see it through the top of the engine, but was unable to get it to turn or pull out. Afraid to force it lest I break it and pay more to fix.

I have looked online and found that on the 2019 Classic style, there is a screen that gets clogged and after cleaning, it works great. Of course, there is no instructions on how to access the reservoir on my model. There is no Chilton manuals for my model and there is no forum threads that tell or show how to access the screen.

Does anyone have any help to guide me to fixing it myself? Appreciate the help.
Do not use rain x it will do that