How to add a bug screen for your coolers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I looked and looked for a good ready made bug screen for my 18’ 2500 with no luck. So I pulled the grill today and made my own. I started by pulling the grill and layed it on a blanket to keep from scratching it up. Then took a piece of 1/8” mesh hardware cloth that came in a roll 3’x10’ and used half of it. I used zip ties to fasten it to the black honey comb grill on the back side. Just get it centered up to start with the square ends. Fasten the screen in a couple of places to hold it in place. Then take a pair of heavy scissors and cut the ends a little long but following the radius of the grill. After you get the top cut you can push the extra material up under the chrome trim and finish fastening it to the grill. Now here’s where you are going to need some help. Leave the bottom part like it is and holding the grill feed the bottom edge down behind the bumper. It won’t go in without being cut. Center it up and mark it. Take it back out and make the cuts. There’s 3 of the little plastic push pins on the very bottom and behind the bumper and air dam. Take those out and feed the screen down the front and out the back side and trim the excess off. Put the pins back in and you will have to poke holes in the screen for them. Put the grill back in and you’re good to go. The black zip ties don’t show up at all on my black grill and you have to look really good to see them at all up close. Hope this helps someone. I did the same thing on my 08’Silverado in 08’ and it still looks and works great. Not 1 single bug in my radiator or condenser coil.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not a bug one in any of my coolers yet and I live in the bug capital.

Tech357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I also did a self made bug / screen /s for the coolers.. Did this very first thing after getting the truck.. Used gutter leafguard from the hardware store for the biggest part, and for the hole in the bumper used the harder mesh gutter covers in black and trimmed as necessary.. Took a few hours to get it all looking decent, but well worth the effort and time. Needless to say,, I am glad I did it.. small rocks can do some damage at highway speeds as I had a trailblazer radatiror damaged and lost AC Refrigerant due to a small rock hitting the high pressure side. Never again ;) Cheaper to " PROTECT" then have to replace.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ve got 3k miles on my 2500 now and not 1 bug or a single bent cooling fin. Just made a trip down to the Gulf Coast and still looking good.