How To: Add Factory Keyless Enter N Go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see that to install rear door proximity handles they just splice into the front door proximity handle wiring.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the rear proximity door handles?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see that to install rear door proximity handles they just splice into the front door proximity handle wiring.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the rear proximity door handles?
There’s no such part number because it’s not an option offered on Rams. The rear passenger door would just use the same part number as the front passenger door. What I can’t quite figure out is how the rear driver handle is done, since the front driver door handle has the key hole in it. The rod lever would be upside down if a passenger handle is used on the driver side. The only thing I can think of is to take the rod lever off the old rear driver door handle and install it in the correct orientation on a front passenger side handle.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s no such part number because it’s not an option offered on Rams. The rear passenger door would just use the same part number as the front passenger door. What I can’t quite figure out is how the rear driver handle is done, since the front driver door handle has the key hole in it. The rod lever would be upside down if a passenger handle is used on the driver side. The only thing I can think of is to take the rod lever off the old rear driver door handle and install it in the correct orientation on a front passenger side handle.

Jimmy,

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, that the parts don't exist. There is a video of someone taking apart a door handle to paint. I think we could use that method to take a driver door handle apart and move the proximity handle part to a rear door handle base. I might have to give that a go and see what happens....

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jimmy,

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, that the parts don't exist. There is a video of someone taking apart a door handle to paint. I think we could use that method to take a driver door handle apart and move the proximity handle part to a rear door handle base. I might have to give that a go and see what happens....

Hey guys,
Yes there is no rear door handle for the driver's side but the process for changing them out and marrying the two together is rather simple. I posted a couple pictures and instuctions, a few weeks ago of the connector you have to take apart to make the swap. That's the hardest part. So scroll back through the posts.
Then you very easily remove the pin by just using a drill to barely remove the metal that has been mushroomed over the one end. Being careful not to drill into the plastic. After that it's nothing more than putting the two together. You will need to go to the hardware and get yourself a small bolt and nut to replace the original pin. I got a stainless steel one just for the corrosion security but not necessary. Put a small amount of red Lock-Tite on the bolt and nut (only) for final installation, so you don't run the risk of the nut backing off inside the door. Also don't tighten to tight. It needs a very small amount of play to work right when you lift the handle.
I didn't want to split up my original door handle and keep the set together so I bought two very nice used ones and the body shop is painting the base for mine to match. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did anyone figure out factory routing in the door of the door handle wires? Not getting the wires into the door, but where are they kept and routed up to the handle.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What I’m referencing is to once in the driver door where is the wire from the factory routed in/on the door card to the handle.
That link I posted is it. That’s the actual factory route of the wires to the handle. That i620 connector just plugs into the existing harness which goes through the door.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That link I posted is it. That’s the actual factory route of the wires to the handle. That i620 connector just plugs into the existing harness which goes through the door.

Yup I missed it.

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I remembered someone had asked about the tailgate at some point. How to make that work with the passive entry for guys who live and work out of their truck beds.

What is to stop you from splicing into your driver's side door antenna, running another four wire harness from the drivers antenna and door buttons back to your tailgate. Adding another door antenna inside the tailgate itself. Then installing a generic weatherproof (momentary) push button. Let's say underneath the tailgate where it would be hidden by the outer lip?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The sensor for unlocking the doors is not a button type, you would need to have something like that back there to make that happen.

At that point, it might be possible to adapt one from a main handle to the tailgate handle itself. Then a separate momentary button (like you suggested) to actually lock the truck if you wanted to.

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What about a 2019 tailgate handle? They have them with passive entry.

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I am wrong? However, I have to disagree. All the button on the handle is doing is temporarily making the connection to unlock when the key is nearby. Agreed that the button on our door handles may sense our body's and use us as the conductor to do make the switch, meaning it need not be depressed for instances when your thumb slides off the button. It might still make the switch. Which would explain the car wash scenario when the handles get wet? That I don't know for certain. But what happens in the winter when you have gloves on the it can"t detect the human touch? The button has to be pushed down. Technically you should be able to just touch the two wires at the door handle and open it with out a passive entry handle.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I am wrong? However, I have to disagree. All the button on the handle is doing is temporarily making the connection to unlock when the key is nearby. Agreed that the button on our door handles may sense our body's and use us as the conductor to do make the switch, meaning it need not be depressed for instances when your thumb slides off the button. It might still make the switch. Which would explain the car wash scenario when the handles get wet? That I don't know for certain. But what happens in the winter when you have gloves on the it can"t detect the human touch? The button has to be pushed down. Technically you should be able to just touch the two wires at the door handle and open it with out a passive entry handle.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. Since I dont have the handle in my truck yet, I didnt realize the button works as a toggle (i.e. lock AND unlock)

In that case, yeah you should be able to do what you mentioned. Small button somewhere tied into the driver handle wires. The only thing I would wonder is if its not just a plain on/off signal, but rather some encoded something or other. Probably not an issue, though.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The button on the outside of the handle will only lock the truck, so, you can’t press it once to lock, then again to unlock. Same with the inside of the handle will only unlock. Also, to unlock, your thumb doesn’t need to be on the outside button at all. You could just take your index finger alone and reach behind the handle and touch it to unlock. This is why I don’t think a simple momentary switch will work. I don’t think it can discern which function to perform- lock or unlock.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The button on the outside of the handle will only lock the truck, so, you can’t press it once to lock, then again to unlock. Same with the inside of the handle will only unlock. Also, to unlock, your thumb doesn’t need to be on the outside button at all. You could just take your index finger alone and reach behind the handle and touch it to unlock. This is why I don’t think a simple momentary switch will work. I don’t think it can discern which function to perform- lock or unlock.

Kinda figured as much. My G37 only has a button so I have to press it to lock OR unlock the car.

My wifes car has proximity handles for unlock AND lock....depending on where you touch the handle it will lock or unlock.

Of course, now, my RAM will have to be a 3rd way of doing things.