How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
I had thought about doing something similar.. don't care for the look of those, but i want to find something similar but more contemporary looking.

I dont need the OEM overhead.. especially since i just want it for lighting and nothing else.. and especially at $125+..

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is why i did this looking for a early model ford one they are chrome and clean looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can makes any of it work looks like 3" clearance under hump.yellow with violet stripe is door opening light and you have one wire that is constant 12 volt. The female plug is in the overhead ..be careful not to cut out a lot a little at a time till you find where they glued the plug down or you could cut some wires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To make aftermarket work you will need two one way diodes which will go between the all time hot wire and the map lights one for each side you will then stop all three lights coming on when you use the switch while reading or looking for something.

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have just the map light console with back window slider button in my 2010. If I bought the one with the home link is it just plug and play?

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screw it. I'm just gonna try it. I think it will work. Anyone want to buy my Overhead Console with the rear window slider button and obviously the LED and Map lights? $50 shipped. PM me.

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the one I was gonna buy fell through. Anyone have a lead on one with Homelink and the rear slider?

Dachikzuki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help with constant

Hi all, I know this is an old post but thank you very much for it as it was very helpful. Everything is done except I think I added the "yellow lt blue" by using my multimeter and finding out which extra pin had power. The one I added was obviously wrong because the wipers stopped working and the turning signals wouldn't work. It started acting funny.

I've read the entire thread and can't decipher where I'm supposed to add that constant power cable on the harness. "Middle one of the bottom three on the green harness" makes sense if the pictures were still on this forum. Can anyone tell me anything more specific?

Thanks again for the great thread.

fanooch77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what am i doing wrong? got dark on me but i double checked wires and over head console does not work with doors and if i push one map light both lights come on together. shouldn't just the one I'm pushing come on my brain is fried ran out of light what could be wrong here any ideas

i taped the center wire on green plug that was giving me constant juice the other 2 wires i tapped in the drovers column. the green plug only had the dome light wires running in to it using 2 prongs on the same side (opposite side of plug that the center wire that was giving constant power)

colors on my wires don't match what everyone says they are on here

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thinking about adding the basic maplight console, but also wonder: Is there enough real estate (internal and external) where the "homelink" would be, or the slider switch, to add a couple 12v "cigar lighter" power plugs to plug in some devices? (Radar, GPS, Emergency Lights, etc?)

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have three consoles for sale

1 from a 2014 1500 with compass module, no sunroof of slider switch
in excellent condition.
2 from a 2014 1500 with compass module and slider switch
small minor scuff on trim bezel
3 from 2012 with home-link and slider switch
in excellent condition.

All come with pigtails and or new plugs no mounts

FYI I have all the part numbers and 2d drawings for all the connectors and know where to purchase all the plugs and pins including the compass / home-link plug (not the slider or sunroof connectors though). I also have some extras if interested shoot me an email will post pics tonight or tomorrow.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Making Homelink Work

Great info cptwing, thanks. I have a 2014 Ram Big Horn with overhead console but no Homelink. I just bought a console with the homelink module but it came w/o the plugs. Can you assist with where I can get the plugs/wiring info to tap into the existing wiring? I can make one I believe - pin 1 Fused positive, Pin 2 is GND and pin 3 is LIN BUS CBC 2 I think but not sure about the wiring to get the homelink to work.
Update: I read several more posts about this and confirmed that my new compass module with Homelink was a direct plug and play swap; once all back together, the compass and homelink all worked and info center indicated button was learning my visor remote when I programmed it.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Great info cptwing, thanks. I have a 2014 Ram Big Horn with overhead console but no Homelink. I just bought a console with the homelink module but it came w/o the plugs. Can you assist with where I can get the plugs/wiring info to tap into the existing wiring? I can make one I believe - pin 1 Fused positive, Pin 2 is GND and pin 3 is LIN BUS CBC 2 I think but not sure about the wiring to get the homelink to work.
Update: I read several more posts about this and confirmed that my new compass module with Homelink was a direct plug and play swap; once all back together, the compass and homelink all worked and info center indicated button was learning my visor remote when I programmed it.

You planning to sell the take-off? It's plain-jane, right? no window switch either? PM me, I might be interested in it if can find an agreeable price/trade. Thanks!

hdvespa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up guys. My truck currently has that center console. How do I pull it down to add something like a 12v plug for radar detector and GPS? Also does anybody know what fuse the map lights are connected to?