How To - Column to floor shift Conversion..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I can confirm that this works for anything with a 6 speed. I just completed this swap using all of the parts and steps listed here.

I have a 2013 Ram express with a 6 speed. I converted it to a console then did this...

****TAKEN from another forum so ALL Credit goes to them!!!**********

You can use shifters from earlier years but the color lighting will be different...

Center Consol auto shifter
shifter is 5LP381X9AA - best one to get - light is white.
5MD141X9AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/premium - black)
5MD141U7AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/premium - beige)
5LP381X9AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/o premium)
52855896AA Automatic Floor Shifter $264.18 - allmoparparts.com
68024883AC Shifter Jumper Wire $ 16.87 - allmoparparts.com
52109706AC Lever Manual Control $ 14.71 - allmoparparts.com
52104371AG Bracket/Shifter Cable $ 15.04 - allmoparparts.com
52855956AG Gear Shift Control Cable $ 86.47 - allmoparparts.com
1GE44GTVAB Column Cover ( brown ) $ 36.35 - allmoparparts.com
1TL461TVAA Brown Shift Handle w/Stitching $ 73.82 - allmoparparts.com
1NN49DX9AA Rubber Mat for Bottom of Bin $ 5.44 - allmoparparts.com

Steering Column Cover:
1GE44GTVAB ( BEIGE - actually dark brown ) or 1GE44XDVAB ( GREY - actually dark graphite - 2012 and earlier) Need to get the part number for the 2013 black. I used the 2012 you can't notice (but I do...)

Shifter Handle [optional]:
1TL461TVAA ( Brown handle w/stitching from Longhorn ) or 1TL461DVAA ( Graphite handle w/stitching from Limited )

To change the shifter handle: pull the bottom chrome piece at the bottom of the shifter. Be careful when you do it as its a delicate ( flimsy ) piece of plastic.

To secure the shifter to the console, I purchased 3 - M6 1.0 U-Nuts and 3 - M6 1.0 X 35mm hex bolts from the local hardware store. It was much cheaper than the auto parts store.

Disassembly...
1.) Remove the cupholder liners and the tray liners

2.) Remove the 2 screws in forward tray - Phillips head screw driver
3.) Remove the 5 screws in the bin/compartment - 7mm socket
4.) Remove the chrome bezel - gently pull to unclip
5.) Remove the larger bezel surrounding the bin/compartment - gently pull to unclip
6.) unplug/Disconnect the 12-volt power supply ( if applicable )
7.) Remove the bin/compartment
8.) Remove the cover under the steering column with your OBDII connector - 2 Philips head screws then gently pull to unclip
9.) Remove the lower console trim piece by the drivers foot - gently pull to unclip
10.) Remove the steering column cover - 3 #15 Torx screws in the bottom
11.) Remove the top cover first, then the bottom cover
12.) Disconnect/pry-off the cable from the shifter handle
13.) Unbolt the bracket from the steering column - 3 #27 Torx
14.) Disconnect/unplug the wires and remove the entire shifter assembly from the vehicle
15.) Go under the truck and disconnect/pry-off the shifter cable from the transmission
16.) Unbolt the large bracket and replace with the large bracket purchased - 13mm socket
17.) Unbolt the smaller bracket and replace with the smaller bracket purchased - 10mm socket
18.) Pull the cable thru the firewall and remove

Reassembly...
1.) Route the new cable thru the firewall and down to the transmission
2.) Go back under the truck and connect the new cable
3.) Drop the new shifter into the hole
4.) Route the new cable into the console and attach the ball end to the shifter
5.) Mount the new cable into the holder at the end of the floor shifter assembly
6.) Locate the wires you disconnected/unplugged during column shifter removal and plug these into your new jumper wire
7.) Route the wire into the console and connect/plug it into the floor shifter
8.) Using the U-Nuts and hex bolts purchased from the hardware store, bolt down the console - 10mm socket
9.) Replace 2 of the 5 screws in the bin/compartment ( cup holders ) - 7mm socket
10.) Check for operation and toggle ( manual shift ) function
11.) Adjust as necessary at the transmission end, and once satisfied, continue with reassembly
12.) Replace the larger bezel surrounding the bin/compartment - gently push to clip
13.) Replace the 2 screws in forward tray - Phillips head screw driver
14.) Replace the chrome bezel - gently push to clip
15.) Replace the steering column cover with the new one purchased, bottom cover first, then the top cover - 3 #15mm Torx screws in the bottom
16.) Replace the lower console trim piece by the drivers foot - gently push to clip
17.) Replace the cover under the steering column with your OBD connector - gently push to clip then 2 Phillps head screws

Note: With the jumper harnesses they are selling now, there is no need to splice any wires to get the 'PRND +/-' to light up. It's a plug and play item now.

Notes from previous posts: When you connect the cable at the transmission, put the shifter in P ( park ), go under the truck and make sure all the play is out of the cable. pull it off the trans shift ball bracket, extend it out and see if it lines up with the ball, if you need to move it either way you need to readjust the ball bracket to the position of full cable extension. It is only correct if it starts in P or N.

I had the same problem when I did mine. I took the cable loose at the transmission and moved the bracket 1 tooth forward toward the front of the truck. Works great now. I got mine working perfect now thanks to this. I put it in park, unhooked the shift cable from the bracket, popped the clear piece out but not off and moved the eyelet to match up with the ball, popped the clear piece back in.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Cool do you have any before, during and after pics? I would do this but I have the transfer case shifter on the floor already, and it would be too exspensive to change that over as well.

Post some pics please.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
So I can confirm that this works for anything with a 6 speed. I just completed this swap using all of the parts and steps listed here.

I have a 2013 Ram express with a 6 speed. I converted it to a console then did this...

****TAKEN from another forum so ALL Credit goes to them!!!**********

You can use shifters from earlier years but the color lighting will be different...

Center Consol auto shifter
shifter is 5LP381X9AA - best one to get - light is white.
5MD141X9AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/premium - black)
5MD141U7AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/premium - beige)
5LP381X9AA Automatic Floor Shifter (2013 and later - w/o premium)
52855896AA Automatic Floor Shifter $264.18 - allmoparparts.com
68024883AC Shifter Jumper Wire $ 16.87 - allmoparparts.com
52109706AC Lever Manual Control $ 14.71 - allmoparparts.com
52104371AG Bracket/Shifter Cable $ 15.04 - allmoparparts.com
52855956AG Gear Shift Control Cable $ 86.47 - allmoparparts.com
1GE44GTVAB Column Cover ( brown ) $ 36.35 - allmoparparts.com
1TL461TVAA Brown Shift Handle w/Stitching $ 73.82 - allmoparparts.com
1NN49DX9AA Rubber Mat for Bottom of Bin $ 5.44 - allmoparparts.com

Steering Column Cover:
1GE44GTVAB ( BEIGE - actually dark brown ) or 1GE44XDVAB ( GREY - actually dark graphite - 2012 and earlier) Need to get the part number for the 2013 black. I used the 2012 you can't notice (but I do...)

Shifter Handle [optional]:
1TL461TVAA ( Brown handle w/stitching from Longhorn ) or 1TL461DVAA ( Graphite handle w/stitching from Limited )

To change the shifter handle: pull the bottom chrome piece at the bottom of the shifter. Be careful when you do it as its a delicate ( flimsy ) piece of plastic.

To secure the shifter to the console, I purchased 3 - M6 1.0 U-Nuts and 3 - M6 1.0 X 35mm hex bolts from the local hardware store. It was much cheaper than the auto parts store.

Disassembly...
1.) Remove the cupholder liners and the tray liners

2.) Remove the 2 screws in forward tray - Phillips head screw driver
3.) Remove the 5 screws in the bin/compartment - 7mm socket
4.) Remove the chrome bezel - gently pull to unclip
5.) Remove the larger bezel surrounding the bin/compartment - gently pull to unclip
6.) unplug/Disconnect the 12-volt power supply ( if applicable )
7.) Remove the bin/compartment
8.) Remove the cover under the steering column with your OBDII connector - 2 Philips head screws then gently pull to unclip
9.) Remove the lower console trim piece by the drivers foot - gently pull to unclip
10.) Remove the steering column cover - 3 #15 Torx screws in the bottom
11.) Remove the top cover first, then the bottom cover
12.) Disconnect/pry-off the cable from the shifter handle
13.) Unbolt the bracket from the steering column - 3 #27 Torx
14.) Disconnect/unplug the wires and remove the entire shifter assembly from the vehicle
15.) Go under the truck and disconnect/pry-off the shifter cable from the transmission
16.) Unbolt the large bracket and replace with the large bracket purchased - 13mm socket
17.) Unbolt the smaller bracket and replace with the smaller bracket purchased - 10mm socket
18.) Pull the cable thru the firewall and remove

Reassembly...
1.) Route the new cable thru the firewall and down to the transmission
2.) Go back under the truck and connect the new cable
3.) Drop the new shifter into the hole
4.) Route the new cable into the console and attach the ball end to the shifter
5.) Mount the new cable into the holder at the end of the floor shifter assembly
6.) Locate the wires you disconnected/unplugged during column shifter removal and plug these into your new jumper wire
7.) Route the wire into the console and connect/plug it into the floor shifter
8.) Using the U-Nuts and hex bolts purchased from the hardware store, bolt down the console - 10mm socket
9.) Replace 2 of the 5 screws in the bin/compartment ( cup holders ) - 7mm socket
10.) Check for operation and toggle ( manual shift ) function
11.) Adjust as necessary at the transmission end, and once satisfied, continue with reassembly
12.) Replace the larger bezel surrounding the bin/compartment - gently push to clip
13.) Replace the 2 screws in forward tray - Phillips head screw driver
14.) Replace the chrome bezel - gently push to clip
15.) Replace the steering column cover with the new one purchased, bottom cover first, then the top cover - 3 #15mm Torx screws in the bottom
16.) Replace the lower console trim piece by the drivers foot - gently push to clip
17.) Replace the cover under the steering column with your OBD connector - gently push to clip then 2 Phillps head screws

Note: With the jumper harnesses they are selling now, there is no need to splice any wires to get the 'PRND +/-' to light up. It's a plug and play item now.

Notes from previous posts: When you connect the cable at the transmission, put the shifter in P ( park ), go under the truck and make sure all the play is out of the cable. pull it off the trans shift ball bracket, extend it out and see if it lines up with the ball, if you need to move it either way you need to readjust the ball bracket to the position of full cable extension. It is only correct if it starts in P or N.

I had the same problem when I did mine. I took the cable loose at the transmission and moved the bracket 1 tooth forward toward the front of the truck. Works great now. I got mine working perfect now thanks to this. I put it in park, unhooked the shift cable from the bracket, popped the clear piece out but not off and moved the eyelet to match up with the ball, popped the clear piece back in.

What year was your console from?

OP
OP
N

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My console came from a 12 so you have to add a ground for the one the charging ports for it to work (you do it under the seat at the plug just tap the current ground). Also it doesn't have the USB in the arm rest but that doesn't bother me.

Jesse Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this conversion, bought all the parts listed above.

i have a 2012 RC Express and purchased the console with floor shifter from a 2012.

everything bolted up perfectly.

Regardless of what it says above, i did have to run a jumper wire to make the PRND light come on. I think this only applies for 09-12

**IMPORTANT**
the new cable that is ordered is NOT adjusted.

once everything was installed i turned the truck on and went through the gears, when i put it into Park and took my foot off the brake i was actually still in Reverse (shifter showed i was in park).

Last edited:

Bdaman069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to do this to my 2013 tradesman, i already have a console from a donor truck that came with a shifter, i tried finding the parts listed above but they say they will not fit my truck, do i have to use year specific parts or just accept what i find based on the part numbers above.