How to DELETE the Active Grille Shutter System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got around to deleting the AGS - Active Grille Shutter system from my truck.

This system is designed to do a few things revolving around fuel efficiency. One of them being bringing the engine temperature up to the factory set operating temperature of about 203* F. If you put a lower temp thermostat in your truck for performance reasons these shutters will fight you and try to restrict airflow to bring you back to 203*.

Also I need to make room for my procharger intercooler so these had to go! :D

Overall my temps have dropped dramatically now and my E-Fan barely kicks on. Also I haven't noticed any change in MPG yet and in combination with some other mods my fuel economy is much higher than stock currently. (See my other videos for more on this)

Here is how to delete them!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, another great video, so Jason doesn’t sell these anywhere, you have to just send a message?

Did you do anything with the hood cable or maybe transfer that clip to the core support?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is facebook the only place he sells this bracket? Would you happen to know how far this actuator is supposed to move? It seems like it would be pretty easy to make one.

I'd prefer just to buy one rather than messing with it though.

Good video! I have been wanting to delete the shutters for a while.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt it’s the same thing, there’s no way you could make any money at that price

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered one today. Didn't want to reinstate my Facebook but, I think it was worth it. Should be here in a few days.
Thanks for the video Boosted.

Did you get it figured out Jb1? The Facebook guys price was pretty reasonable too I think.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Is there anyway to change the temperature when the shutters are activated? If that could be done via a tune that would be the best of both world for winter and summer

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya JB1, thats weird there isn't a good pic of it. But what the hell, it's worth a shot at that price....lol

Screenshot_20180511-194228.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just installed the CFT delete kit. Its just a screw, spacer nut, and lock nut that installs in the same spot alot of people put screws in. It also comes with a spacer and bolt to mount at the top of the core support where one of the factory 13mm bolts was holding the AGS in. Hopefully it works out, but for $5 I won't be to upset if it doesn't.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great video man! If i had these on my truck I would be doing this

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the CFT delete kit. Its just a screw, spacer nut, and lock nut that installs in the same spot alot of people put screws in. It also comes with a spacer and bolt to mount at the top of the core support where one of the factory 13mm bolts was holding the AGS in. Hopefully it works out, but for $5 I won't be to upset if it doesn't.

No pics ?

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thats pretty cool if it works! Keep us posted!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No pics ?

Slipped my mind. It came in while I was doing the yard so I just installed it real quick. If you look at the H&S Ecodiesel oil cooler install manual it comes with a very similar delete kit/mounting situation.

Thats pretty cool if it works! Keep us posted!

I've gone about 200 miles since the install and haven't gotten a CEL yet. Dropped my IAT another 4 degrees over just deleting the middle slats with the Vararam intake and I averaged 18.5 MPG highway(65-80mph) on the lie-o-meter which isn't calibrated for the 34"s on the truck. Not too bad considering all the fuel economy crap is removed and MDS is disabled. I won't consider it a success until it has some more significant miles on it which likely wont happen until after I start moving in the next few months.

Reactions: JB1

ejaquez13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, So I removed my AGS assembly shroud and shutters a year ago and everything was great, better air flow, cooler temps etc. But now I'm between a rock and hard place as the my check engine light came on and two separate scans gave me the P1D73 ACG assembly. Called around and dealerships states Chrysler no longer sells just the actuator and you have to buy the whole assemble, shutter, shroud etc for 400.00 dollars.

has anyone found away around just unplugging the actuator and not tripping a check engine light?

thanks in advance

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello, So I removed my AGS assembly shroud and shutters a year ago and everything was great, better air flow, cooler temps etc. But now I'm between a rock and hard place as the my check engine light came on and two separate scans gave me the P1D73 ACG assembly. Called around and dealerships states Chrysler no longer sells just the actuator and you have to buy the whole assemble, shutter, shroud etc for 400.00 dollars.

has anyone found away around just unplugging the actuator and not tripping a check engine light?

thanks in advance

Any decent tuner can delete the shutter code ,if you're tuned.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you want to delete the AGS? I guess I could understand if you put a colder thermostat in and are tuned but from a guy who’s still pretty much stock, why is a necessary mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I removed the 4 center shutter blades and my temps stay around 190-195 when I get to operating temp. I am stock and I'll stick with what I've done.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed the 4 center shutter blades and my temps stay around 190-195 when I get to operating temp. I am stock and I'll stick with what I've done.

How did your gas mileage take the change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
How did your gas mileage take the change?

My stop and go gas mileage didn't noticeably change but I'm getting 24 mpg (+/-)on the highway...but that's driving at no more than 5 over the posted limit.