How to get the engine brake to work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I really want the exhaust brake when going down a hill which has 12% grade warnings and switchbacks. My truck is a 2022 3500 Longhorn 4x4 carrying a camper weighing 5,000lbs. This road is unpaved, there are no roadside barriers and the road is narrow with a vertical face on one side and nothing but air on the other.
The road speed is about 45 to 30 km per hour, so I would expect some exhaust braking to be available.
I had the trailer mode on and the orange light full exhaust on, but only received the occasional help from the exhaust brake. By the time the exhaust brake came on the speed had picked up enough that I had to use heavy braking to get the ride back under control.
Things finally got hairy enough that I just selected 1st gear and used what engine braking was available, which means lots of foot pedal braking, for the next 20 km down the mountain side.
My brother has the 2022 Ford and barely had to touch the foot brake, so how do I get the exhaust brake to work when I need it on my 2022 Ram?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had the trailer mode on and the orange light full exhaust on, but only received the occasional help from the exhaust brake.
If the orange light is on, you should feel the engine trying to slow the truck down when you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, no brake pedal needed. (If your a two foot driver, take your foot off the accelerator pedal). Minimum speed for the exhaust brake is 5 mph.
If the green light is on the exhaust brake is actuated when you start to apply the brakes.
Either mode works in conjunction with the cruise control. Either mode works very effectively, Pulled about 10K with my buddies 3500 CTD, only had to use the brakes for coming to a complete stop. His fiver is close to 18K and the exhaust brake has no problems slowing that trailer either.
If the exhaust brake isn't working as described you probably need to take the truck to a dealership to have it looked at.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My brother has the 2022 Ford and barely had to touch the foot brake, so how do I get the exhaust brake to work when I need it on my 2022 Ram?
The correct labeling is "exhaust" brake. In your DIC, you can select a reading that shows the amount of braking horsepower created by the turbo. There isn't much braking by the exhaust brake at lower RPMs and the exhaust brake disengages at 1,200 RPM. I always run mine in auto mode (green light) with tow/haul selected. Tow/haul mode allows the exhaust brake to work to maintain speed while downshifting the transmission to keep a higher RPM.

As far as your comment about your brother's 2022 Ford, and I'm assuming he has a Powerstroke, repeated towing tests seen in many Youtube videos (TFL for example) have, over the years, demonstrated the Duramax and the Powerstroke exhaust braking to be far less effective when compared to the RAM Cummins exhaust brake. So this comment makes no sense.

What gear is the transmission in and what RPMs are showing? What is your axle ratio?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
With tow/haul engaged with the EX brake on auto not Full in my 2022 the EH brake will stay engaged down too around 900/1000 RPM, it sounds like yours is faulty and needs to be inspected to investigate why its not engaging properly...

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don’t think the exhaust brake will work if the torque converter on the transmission is not locked. Too slow of speed and too low rpm.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Was out and about so tried to see how slow I could go to get EH brake to engage, best I could so was in Tow mode the EB on Full and limit trans to 4/4+ gear, then it would come on if I was going at least 35 MPH (about 56 kmh) and then let off the accelerator pedal, hope this helps. Edit I also carrying about 1000 of weight lbs in the bed.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You said "carrying a camper ...". Does this mean an in-bed camper versus a trailer? I definitely notice much less exhaust braking when carrying a load in the bed versus towing my 13,000 pound trailer. Also notice a little more when pulling my 4,000 pound utility trailer than with a load in the bed.

This makes me think the computer is modulating the exhaust brake many factors such as based trailer connected / not connected, inertia from a heavier trailer, brake pedal force being applied, tow / haul mode on or off, auto / full exhaust brake, speed, etc. It is not like the old Jake Brake systems that you push a button or move a lever and get exhaust braking regardless of what else is going on with the vehicle.

GCecchetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CDT
There are three parameters that have to be met for the exhaust brake to engage. The engine RPM needs to be at or above 1500, vehicle speed at or above 30MPH, and the torque converter has to be locked up. Any of those conditions not being present, the exhaust brake will not engage.

It’s a pain in the ass, we have some very steep hills where I live where I really want the exhaust brake, and I find myself accelerating to try to get it to set when I really need to be slowing down.

When it is engaged, it works quite well. I run my truck in tow/haul with the exhaust brake on auto as my normal driving condition, but I do have 41” tires on my truck:)

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The correct labeling is "exhaust" brake. In your DIC, you can select a reading that shows the amount of braking horsepower created by the turbo. There isn't much braking by the exhaust brake at lower RPMs and the exhaust brake disengages at 1,200 RPM. I always run mine in auto mode (green light) with tow/haul selected. Tow/haul mode allows the exhaust brake to work to maintain speed while downshifting the transmission to keep a higher RPM.

As far as your comment about your brother's 2022 Ford, and I'm assuming he has a Powerstroke, repeated towing tests seen in many Youtube videos (TFL for example) have, over the years, demonstrated the Duramax and the Powerstroke exhaust braking to be far less effective when compared to the RAM Cummins exhaust brake. So this comment makes no sense.

What gear is the transmission in and what RPMs are showing? What is your axle ratio?
I am aware of the repeated testing to establish the superiority of the Cummins exhaust brake over other brands, so why would the 2022 Ford diesel be so much more effective in this real life test? What am I doing wrong? As I stated i finally just pulled the 2022 Ram into into 1st gear and left the orange light on and in trailer mode for the rest of the steep road section. AS the Cummins sped up past 2,900 RPM I would apply braking to bring the RPM down to about 1,800 Rpm and then let the RPM build again - which in this case happened quick and I needed a lot of braking.
Just the facts, so What should I have done?

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

The axle ratio on my 2022 Longhorn is 3.75

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If the orange light is on, you should feel the engine trying to slow the truck down when you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, no brake pedal needed. (If your a two foot driver, take your foot off the accelerator pedal). Minimum speed for the exhaust brake is 5 mph.
If the green light is on the exhaust brake is actuated when you start to apply the brakes.
Either mode works in conjunction with the cruise control. Either mode works very effectively, Pulled about 10K with my buddies 3500 CTD, only had to use the brakes for coming to a complete stop. His fiver is close to 18K and the exhaust brake has no problems slowing that trailer either.
If the exhaust brake isn't working as described you probably need to take the truck to a dealership to have it looked at.
The engine brake works great at highway speeds and around town - love it! But not so great with a heavy load at slow speeds under 45 kph on steep roads. The trailer mode will hold the exhaust brake on down to 28kph and then manual brakes are required after that. It feels like everything is working normal, just not so great on steep twisty road. It is hard to find another road as steep to practice on, and the wife said she isn't going with me either.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My EB works exactly like Crash said in post #2. Not sure about all the comments regarding rules and conditions, only know mine works perfectly. I tow my 9800# trailer down an 8mi, 6-8% grade with EB on auto, in TH, and the cruise control @ 55mph and never hit the brake pedal.

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Was out and about so tried to see how slow I could go to get EH brake to engage, best I could so was in Tow mode the EB on Full and limit trans to 4/4+ gear, then it would come on if I was going at least 35 MPH (about 56 kmh) and then let off the accelerator pedal, hope this helps. Edit I also carrying about 1000 of weight lbs in the bed.
Well that sounds similar to my scary ride. At no point on the road down into Bella Cola can you go as fast as 56kph and expect to make the next hair pin corner. Which is why I used engine braking as the exhaust braking would not come on even at 2,900 rpm in 1st gear.

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There are three parameters that have to be met for the exhaust brake to engage. The engine RPM needs to be at or above 1500, vehicle speed at or above 30MPH, and the torque converter has to be locked up. Any of those conditions not being present, the exhaust brake will not engage.

It’s a pain in the ass, we have some very steep hills where I live where I really want the exhaust brake, and I find myself accelerating to try to get it to set when I really need to be slowing down.

When it is engaged, it works quite well. I run my truck in tow/haul with the exhaust brake on auto as my normal driving condition, but I do have 41” tires on my truck:)
So sad to hear that as that is NOT what I wanted to read. I know how well the 2022 diesel Ford works as I drove my brothers truck before i bought my Ram Longhorn. With a goose neck trailer hauling my 16,000 pound cat out of a steep gravel road that Ford was simply amazing. I could hardly wait for the delivery of my brand new Longhorn!
At one point on the steep part of the gravel road at about 30kph in 4x4 the truck went over some wash board. The wheels lost traction in the exhaust brake mode, the mode kicked off sensing a lock up, and I had to hit the brakes. As the trailer brakes came on and the Ford got under control again the exhaust brake came back on. Beautiful!!
I could hardly wait to get my new Longhorn with it's superior exhaust braking. Oh well. I still like my Longhorn, just a little humbling about the exhaust brake system management not being that great after all.

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You said "carrying a camper ...". Does this mean an in-bed camper versus a trailer? I definitely notice much less exhaust braking when carrying a load in the bed versus towing my 13,000 pound trailer. Also notice a little more when pulling my 4,000 pound utility trailer than with a load in the bed.

This makes me think the computer is modulating the exhaust brake many factors such as based trailer connected / not connected, inertia from a heavier trailer, brake pedal force being applied, tow / haul mode on or off, auto / full exhaust brake, speed, etc. It is not like the old Jake Brake systems that you push a button or move a lever and get exhaust braking regardless of what else is going on with the vehicle.
Unfortunately you are probably correct that the Ram trucks have some software parameters limiting the use of the exhaust brake that makes braking unavailable when you REALLY need it. Dodge might have to buy a Ford and copy their engine exhaust brake control software.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Unfortunately you are probably correct that the Ram trucks have some software parameters limiting the use of the exhaust brake that makes braking unavailable when you REALLY need it. Dodge might have to buy a Ford and copy their engine exhaust brake control software.
I doubt the engineers / programmers purposely programmed it to not work when you need it.

FWIW, I am quite pleased with the exhaust brake on my 2016 6.7. It works as expected. I think it is like any other driving aid, one needs learn how it works and use to ones advantage. Perhaps 5000 Lbs produces much less inertia than the 13,000 Lbs I am hauling and the exhaust brake responds accordingly. For the situation described in the OP, I would probably use tow/haul mode and drop down a gear or two manually.

I just noticed the OP says "carrying a camper". If that means a bed mounted camper then perhaps the lack of something plugged into the 7-way plug is altering the way the exhaust brake works. I wonder if putting a plug with a resistor in the 7-way socket to simulate a trailer would help make the exhaust brake more "active".

OP
OP
Y

yamadooPolcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What is the value of the exhaust braking gauge? This will tell you if it is working. It sounds like you are getting no exhaust braking at all and if turned on, then something is broken.
Value of the exhaust braking gauge? I have the Off Road package of gauges, but I don't remember seeing a gauge like that.
I'm getting lots of exhaust braking at highway speeds. But once the truck is in a steep slope, and I want the exhaust brake to hold the truck from running away, it doesn't switch on. I tried various combinations of Exhaust Brake selections and Trailer on or off. I let the truck roll and gravity pushed the engine in first gear up to 2,900 rpm, but nothing I tried would kick on the exhaust brake when the truck is on a steep hill and under 55kph.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Value of the exhaust braking gauge? I have the Off Road package of gauges, but I don't remember seeing a gauge like that.
I'm getting lots of exhaust braking at highway speeds. But once the truck is in a steep slope, and I want the exhaust brake to hold the truck from running away, it doesn't switch on. I tried various combinations of Exhaust Brake selections and Trailer on or off. I let the truck roll and gravity pushed the engine in first gear up to 2,900 rpm, but nothing I tried would kick on the exhaust brake when the truck is on a steep hill and under 55kph.
Page 105, Vehicle info,

Vehicle InfoPush and release the up or down arrow button until the Vehicle Info menu item is highlighted in the instrument cluster display. Push and release the right arrow button to enter the submenus items of Vehicle Info. Follow the directional prompts to access or reset any of the following Vehicle Info submenu items: Tire Pressure Coolant Temperature Transmission Temperature — If Equipped Oil Temperature Oil Pressure Exhaust Brake — If Equipped Boost Pressure — If Equipped Diesel Particulate Filter — If Equipped Oil Life Fuel Filter Life — If Equipped Battery Voltage Gauge Summary

GCecchetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CDT
As I said above, to get the exhaust brake to engage the engine RPM needs to be at or above 1500, vehicle speed needs to be at or above 30 mph, and the torque converter needs to be locked up. Any of these parameters not being present and the exhaust break won’t set.

If you think about it, the most common condition where the exhaust brake would be used is open road towing. Long down slopes on highways, freeways, etc. This is likely the use case they designed around, and the exhaust brake works quite well in these conditions. In slower, tighter back road or off road conditions, it’s much more challenging to get all three parameters set. From my experience using tow/haul mode helps by getting engine rpm up, but the vehicle speed at 30 mph can be tough on tight, twisty, and steep down grades. Without question though, the most challenging parameter to set is the torque converter lock up. You need to have the rpm and speed parameters present long enough to allow the transmission to lock up the torque converter, and with the less than stellar automatic transmissions in these trucks, that isn’t as quick as we would like. Talk with someone with a manual trans, and I assure you they’ll tell you the exhaust brake is awesome.

All that said, when you understand what the TCM/ECM needs to see to set the exhaust brake, you’ll find that will be able to get it to work most of the time you want it to.

My fix for this is going to be doing the ATS Diesel Alison swap. Not cheap, but hands down the right trans to put behind a Cummins.

Last edited: