How To Install 2010 Ram 1500 hidden winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PD2BP253

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any Rebel owners in South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia or surrounding areas willing to let me borrow your truck/hang out for a day or two for a free winch plate?

Unfortunately I live in Texas and can't loan you my Rebel for the plate... Will this tray will be able to accommodate a 9-12K winch behind the Rebel skid plate? If so, I'm extremely interested!

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately I live in Texas and can't loan you my Rebel for the plate... Will this tray will be able to accommodate a 9-12K winch behind the Rebel skid plate? If so, I'm extremely interested!

It should be able to. But this all depends on if I can get a rebel to test it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeMcK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dan, Where in SC are you located? I go to Allendale all the time to hunt. I have a 2015 Express. Will this fit?

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dan, Where in SC are you located? I go to Allendale all the time to hunt. I have a 2015 Express. Will this fit?

I'm back and forth between Greenville and clemson all the time

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bfcdf63e4bf1c4f1e6cfa3491b278f11.jpg
5df4805924083b2f6fdaa319ed5e9926.jpg
This is everything you get with a raw mount. The tubes come raw, not black.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 Ram 1500 hidden winch install

Hemi

This plate is for 1500 tow hooks that are mounted horizontal. 2500 hooks are vertical and have a different pattern. I could make a mount if somebody let's me borrow a 2500 (cummins or Hemi). But people do install power wagon winches in the hemi 2500s. I'll try to find a link for you. I don't believe the powerwagon fits on cummins trucks because of the intercooler

dannycandler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can use my truck if we can't find a time that is good for the both of us. I live north of Atlanta and don't mind making the trip.

bottoms ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Y'all have inspired me. I used a 12,000 pound winch. I primed and painted it black, it looks great I think. 4aaf610e851b8d7aaa26ab0ea3e5fa85.jpg9954f7fa1b5834e36d9797fdebcc5b54.jpg

This is basically how I did mine. Lots of measuring and tack welding.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is basically how I did mine. Lots of measuring and tack welding.

Only the side plates are tacked on. The plate itself has 3" welds every 3". That was just my first plate. The new ones I'm making are a lot cleaner now that I have it figured out. 73b5eb24d3cc4998afac83e955efe2bb.jpg

Andy L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my 2009 winch installed

I won a 12000lb winch at an auction and was going to resell it but was so inspired by your posts I thought I would give it a try.
Thanks for all the tips.

Attachments

• IMG_0867[1].jpg
    IMG_0867[1].jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 308

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate that I'm having to do this but people need to realize something about these mounts. All costs for making these come out of MY pocket. Do not contact me asking how much a mount is. The price is a couple posts back. Contacting me about shipping is fine since it is different for everybody. If you're not serious about buying one then do not contact me. I've had way too many people pretend to be interested then decide against it and waste my time.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever get one installed on the Bighorn style bumper yet? I know I contacted you a few months back you were going somewhere to try one out? How did it come out?

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it has been brought to my attention by a very kind member that I should share some of my knowledge about this. So lets start with a little of the basics. Personal preferences and costs of these systems vary from person to person. There are hundreds of different winches and options you can use with these. You can use either a synthetic rope or the wire cable. Winch loads vary by a lot. But the rule of thumb is that the winch be twice the weight of the vehicle. So ram 1500s weight about 5500 pounds, give or take. This means the winch should be 11,000 to 12,000 lbs. I strongly recommend against anything below 9,000 lbs but it is your choice and I am not responsible for anything that may happen. And generally winches above 12,000 lbs run on 24 volt systems or are hydraulic and I would also stay away from those unless you plan on doing some serious modifications. When choosing a winch for this mount and your truck you need to keep in mind that there are certain dimensions the winch needs to adhere too. The height of the winch needs to be less than 12" (really less than 10" but this varies depending on the fan you have). Length is not as important because generally the mounting dimensions are centered but if you are concerned you can contact me and I will be more than happy to help.

Now lets talk about fairleads. There are two types: hawse and roller. Hawse fairleads are low profile and are to only be used with synthetic rope. Roller fairleads are the larger type with the rolling tubes on each edge. These are meant to be used with wire cable but can also be used with synthetic rope but once again I do not recommend it.

Accessories are also a factor in personal preference. LED light bars are the top accessory that comes into play with these mounts. If you would like to mount a light bar above or below the fairlead then I would suggest looking into mounts that fit your type of fairlead. That is currently the only option for mounting a light bar in that area but I am working on mounts that go on either side of the fairlead, so if you're interested in those contact me. Wireless winch controllers are also a nice accessory to have. The only warning I have against these is keep them in a safe place where they cannot accidentally be pressed and the winch spools itself in.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

hmlowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Dantheman, I would be interested in one of your custom hidden winch mounts for my 2016 1500 4x4 Big Horn. Please let me know what you need to start the process,
Thanks, hmlowe

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Dantheman, I would be interested in one of your custom hidden winch mounts for my 2016 1500 4x4 Big Horn. Please let me know what you need to start the process,

Thanks, hmlowe

I will pm you when I get a chance, it's a lot to throw at you and I need some info first.

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rule of thumb for a winch is your vehicle weight multiplied by 1.5. That should be your minimum weight. I had a Ford ranger with a 8,000lb winch. I wouldn't trust 8k with a full size pick up.