How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram is still throwing up an unknown engine light code. Funny thing is it went back for a service today, I took the UJQ 8.4" screen out and put its original back in. Engine light went away by this morning and there was no light at all, and dealer found no codes. Put the 8.4" screen back in and an hour later the engine light came back. Again no codes visible in AlfaOBD.

Is there any setting in Alfa associated with the 8.4" uConnect screen that needs changing when upgrading? I cannot see any. It just works, except for this damn engine light.

Edit: Just wondering. Mine still has the manual aircon controls with the Infotainment aftermarket surround, and the 8.4" screen. Do I still have to change out the HVAC module even before I put in the ATC conversion harness? As an aside, I just had the panel off under the steering column last night and noticed it is actually already fitted with the cabin temperature sensor but nothing is plugged into it!

Last edited:

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I’m guessing that it’s safe to assume that if I see an 8.4 listed on eBay that supposedly came out of a 2019 Ram but has a part number that starts with 682 that they stuck an older radio into the 2019 bezel unit?

wlsz2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know if media hub from a Wrangler will work.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.png
    IMG_0025.png
    301.8 KB · Views: 16

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Anyone know if media hub from a Wrangler will work.
I've been wondering that myself... Size like very similar to 13-17 ram hub.

Just watch out, some of the Jeep hubs have the connector angled down vs out the back and you won't have room in console to plug it in.

Edit: 68505684AA eBay Link
Yep, main power connector out the back, but USB is out the top and would likely be a fitment issue

Last edited:

NIGHTSBIRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 bighorn. Originally it had the RA2 I am trying to update to the UAS. The upgrade worked however I have a single zone MTC with a from the factory 7 speed fan. Do I need the conversion cable or can I just splice in the connector with ground, power, can, and hazard? The bezel i bought it the single zone MTC no auto. I do not have a variable compressor that I am aware of. I would prefer not to have the auto. With my original 3 dial system the system works as it should from the knobs but not the radio(it does show them change on the screen) thanks in advance.

Figured it out. Post can be removed

Last edited:

fangul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey everyone, im just adding my 2 cents to this, if it helps anyone.. I purchased an ebay UAQ that came out of a 2021 Charger. Trying to find one out of a RAM was getting cost prohibitive . The one i found I got it for a great deal, it has a small scratch, but its basically not visible.. I said what the hell, let me try it out..It was NOT a direct fit, but it was easy enough. Some people will cringe at this, but at some point, you just do what needs to be done!! I basically used some snipps and had to remove a few of the cast metal mounting tabs, as they dont match up to the truck screw mounting holes, and also, they would not let the bezel snap into place.
Now, The only thing holding the radio in place is the bezel, but, it has not moved at all, doesnt vibrate, and its solidly in there..It takes a bit of finesing to get everything back together, but its pretty easy..For the amount of money saved, it was worth it for me to go this route...
Everything on the radio works 100%, (except the soft buttons for seat heaters..but thats a given for any of the radios..) so to get those soft buttons to work, I purchased the heated seat emulator C-INT4CK from infotainment.com, which is the exact same thing as the Jailbreak Enzo from Customtronix..Now, I did have some issues with the infotainment unit, long story short, the unit would not activeate the soft buttons..tried to get help with their techs, they arent that helpful, and Idont think they really know what they are doing when it comes to the Enzo. Its impossible to contact them via phone, and emailing back and forth gets frustrating...I finally reached out to Magnus at Customtronix, he immediatelly sent me a firmware update file, and all was good..If any one needs to go this route, just buy directly from customtronix and save the headaches!
Now to get android auto to work!
I purchased the usb media conversion harness from MpGrimm2, which worked great! I was looking around for a media hub, and again, on ebay i found for really cheap, a media hub out of a Alfa Romeo Stelvio..It seemed very similar in size to a Ram one, so again I said, what the hell, and i bought it..low and behold, it works!! kind of...lol...when i plug in my phone, it quickly goes to Android Auto, and all functions are good and correct..the issue is, at truck start up, if a phone is not plugged in, the radio screen has a window pop up that says "media hub not recognized" or something along those lines..as soon as phone is plugged in, it goes away and all is good...Maybe someone knows how I can fix this small issue? But all in all, for less than $600, Im prettty happy, and really enjoy having the AA avialable for maps/navigation...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@fangul
What APPLICATION VERSION is your UAq radio on? (v40.1 is latest. SW update may help).

Dealer menu: key in RUN, then press and hold TEMP UP + TEMP DWN + FRONT DEFROST for 5-10 secs.. (check radio info section)

What's the PN of the USB Hub you used?

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Customtronix Enzo also lets you add aftermarket front cam and an extra video input?

(& Yes, unfortunately InfoT's 4c seat interface module has never worked consistently as a fix for the seat controls... Maybe for a very specific config/trim of 13 - 15 trucks.)

Magnus & crew at Customtronix just seem to have a better understanding of the BCM/radio software. While contact via email can be difficult (overseas) the few folks that I know of that went with their setup have been able to get squared away.

Last edited:

fangul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
@Mpgrimm2
I could not access the dealer menu in my head unit, tried multiple times. I wonder if having the Enzo connected is affecting the operation?

PN of USB hub-6843 7454 AA-001
The warning messages I get at start up are "device not supported" first, and then "hubs not supported"

Yes you see correct, the Enzo let's you ad cameras and video input.. it comes with a 4 button strip pad that you can press to change the inputs, but it looks out of place in the truck, and not asthetically appealing in my opinion... Looks like it glows in the dark
What I found out is that you don't need the pad to access the inputs, you can hold down the radios menu button for 2 seconds, and then you can scroll through the 4 inputs..
I've been thinking of hooking up a back up camera to my travel trailer, and using one of the inputs in the enzo would be great, rather than having another dedicated screen in the cab just for the camera..

fangul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Magnus at customtronix was very good at getting back to me via email.. Usually id email him in the afternoon, and by next morning id have a reply ..

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@fangul
Yes, the Customtronix may be keeping you from accessing the dealer menu...

You can try unplugging it temporarily and then try the buttons again, or the second way to the dealer menu is to press and hold the lower left & right corners of the screen (but it doesn't always work for me).

& It seems like that Alfa Romeo 68437454AA USB Hub is nearly the same size/shape as the 2018 Ram hub in the OP (68328704AD) minus the front mounting lip and you would likely be better off with the ram hub if you've already made the cutout and it might fix your device not recognized issue.

fangul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'll try the screen method, if not, I'll see if I can try this weekend to remove the customtronix, see what happens!

Thanks for the help!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Tried to find my answer in this thread but was unsuccessful. Will a Canadian UAS work in a US truck? P/N 68461704AC
Just an fyi... While it will generally work...

I have seen some occasions where the Canadian UCs/UCq get stuck in metric units which also makes getting the HVAC Temp control to work correctly a problem in the USA trucks and vice versa.

I'd recommend a 4th Gen RAM 4c 18-21 USA unit for USA truck and Canadian unit for Canadian truck if at all possible. Of course if the if price is right, it may be worth the risk.

wannabeS4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Just an fyi... While it will generally work...

I have seen some occasions where the Canadian UCs/UCq get stuck in metric units which also makes getting the HVAC Temp control to work correctly a problem in the USA trucks and vice versa.

I'd recommend a 4th Gen RAM 4c 18-21 USA unit for USA truck and Canadian unit for Canadian truck if at all possible. Of course if the if price is right, it may be worth the risk.
I found a 4c from a US truck for the same price as the Canadian version and it should be arriving today. Thanks

DLearious88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve got a 2014 Laramie cummins and I’m wanting to update to a 2018 radio with Apple CarPlay/NAV. I wanted to know if anyone in here knows if a 2018 8.4 UConnect out of a Charger will work in a Ram. If it can work how do you go about it loading up the Ram screen/options and not the screen for Chargers?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve got a 2014 Laramie cummins and I’m wanting to update to a 2018 radio with Apple CarPlay/NAV. I wanted to know if anyone in here knows if a 2018 8.4 UConnect out of a Charger will work in a Ram. If it can work how do you go about it loading up the Ram screen/options and not the screen for Chargers?
Read through the thread, I am sure I have read that it will work and update to Ram after a couple run cycles. But highly recommend not getting Nav, it is an expensive option you have to update and that makes it not current all the time. You can use your phone maps through the 8.4. there was a 8.4 UAS unit for sale in that section.

simsinater

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn Laramie
Engine
I've had to fix it for people with 15 1500s and 15 2500/3500 gas and diesels. For people that have added the factory heated seats after the fact, its quite easy to get it to work on the radio screen also.
Can I ask what the fix is? I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins. I don't have the physical buttons (Aux 1-5 buttons instead) so I would definitely need the soft buttons

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Can I ask what the fix is? I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins. I don't have the physical buttons (Aux 1-5 buttons instead) so I would definitely need the soft buttons

CuylerTech hasn't been on here in a couple of years, hopefully someone else knows.