How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed this in the UAS radio in my truck. I was wondering how in the world they managed to get burn-in on such a new screen. I haven't seen this in years. Although, as you mentioned, it does seem to go away after a while. That, or I just don't notice it anymore...
So i researched it, it's a known issue with the LCD used is cheapo, so in cold temperatures the liquid in the display becomes more dense and won't refresh as fast as it should. So the bright white text or icons will ghost for a while then slowly fade as the systems warms up.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Maverick87r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking for the Media hub adapter. If anyone has one. Going to try out a UAQ and Ram usb hub in my 16 rebel

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Even with my connections at FCA I’m still trying to get my uconnect to work with the new radio. It’s very difficult to get it working through FCA

You have to enable sirius travel link with AlphaOBD. It’s not a default setting in the UAx as it was in Ra3/4. The new UAx radios read it from the BCM. You have to turn it on in the BCM for it to show on the UAx radios

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

@Lawsuit11 Today I got as far as having SiriusXM GUARDIAN activate an account linked to the radio under my name with the donor vin on my UAQ. I have a pin# and an account with a free trial. I installed the app on my phone and my pin# worked enough to open the app and gave me the selections, lock / unlock / start / stop. It initiated the process but gave me a "failed" message trying to make a connection. Somewhere in the BCM or ? there has to be something we need to turn on.
So far I have Sirius XM, Travel Link and AT&T hot spot working.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_9462.jpg

What's the latest sw and nav maps version? This is what I have

Txs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Version 10 is the latest map update.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What's the best way going about to upgrade the maps? How much is it at the dealer? Is it done via usb? What about the eBay listings I've seen? Etc etc [emoji2371]

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the best way going about to upgrade the maps? How much is it at the dealer? Is it done via usb? What about the eBay listings I've seen? Etc etc [emoji2371]

I haven't used the ones listed on Ebay but I know a few guys have successfully updated their maps that way. I personally prefer to purchase mine directly from the Uconnect website in case I have any issues I know I can contact them but that's just me. The dealer doesn't update your maps. You purchase the map updates from the Uconnect website. Just go the the site and click map updates and follow the prompts for your year and model. The updates come in a USB stick and you download them directly into your truck. I think mine was $149. If your radio is originally from another vehicle it is important that you use whatever year truck it came out of as the year you order. Example your truck is a 14 but your radio came out of a 15 then when you order you are going to want to order the update for a 15 Ram. Looks like your Firmware is 17.09.01. I think someone has successfully updated the maps with that Firmware version but I am not positive. They prefer you to have version 17.11.07 or higher. Also make sure when you install the actual map update when it asks for the Vin# use your Vin# NOT the Vin# of the truck the rafio came out of. The update takes over an hour to install and it seems like it freezes in several spots. Don't turn the truck off or do anything. This is normal. Just let it go through its download. There are videos on YouTube that show the process.

Last edited:

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't used the ones listed on Ebay but I know a few guys have successfully updated their maps that way. I personally prefer to purchase mine directly from the Uconnect website in case I have any issues I know I can contact them but that's just me. The dealer doesn't update your maps. You purchase the map updates from the Uconnect website. Just go the the site and click map updates and follow the prompts for your year and model. The updates come in a USB stick and you download them directly into your truck. I think mine was $149.

Ok thanks [emoji1303]
What about the radio sw version. Is it the latest with that bug issue? I bought the radio on eBay and did the upgrade.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks [emoji1303]
What about the radio sw version. Is it the latest with that bug issue? I bought the radio on eBay and did the upgrade.

I just added to my original reply so check it again for more info. You may be ok with 17.09.01. I think someone else successfully updated with that version. It will ask you for your firmware version when you do the actual update. If it's not high enough it won't let you continue until you update.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just added to my original reply so check it again for more info. You may be ok with 17.09.01. I think someone else successfully updated with that version. It will ask you for your firmware version when you do the actual update. If it's not high enough it won't let you continue until you update.

The radio was listed out of a '16. Mile said tho it was listed wrong. It's from a '17 ... how can I be 100% sure. Is there a website I can cross reference?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The radio was listed out of a '16. Mile said tho it was listed wrong. It's from a '17 ... how can I be 100% sure. Is there a website I can cross reference?

Mpgrimm2 is usually has the best cross reference data. It's always good to try to get the Vin# off of the truck the radio comes out of to verify the year.

Cillys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mpgrimm2 is usually has the best cross reference data. It's always good to try to get the Vin# off of the truck the radio comes out of to verify the year.

Lol. Ok. Yeah he's pretty good. No idea about what truck it came off of so I'll just go by Mike [emoji1303]

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol. Ok. Yeah he's pretty good. No idea about what truck it came off of so I'll just go by Mike [emoji1303]

Wrecking yards are usually pretty good about listing the correct year the radio comes out of. Your radio may have come out of a 16 built late in the year. I am not sure what would happen if you were a year off when you order the map update. The Firmware updates are for specific years as well. I was fortunate when I bought my radio the Vin# was supplied with it.

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is there any difference in a UAx radio coming out of a Mexican RAM??

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Wrecking yards are usually pretty good about listing the correct year the radio comes out of. Your radio may have come out of a 16 built late in the year. I am not sure what would happen if you were a year off when you order the map update. The Firmware updates are for specific years as well. I was fortunate when I bought my radio the Vin# was supplied with it.

Cillys
If I recall, the PN listed when you bought it was a 68270661Ax which is a 2017 Ra4 VP4-NA radio. You can see details in the Ra4/UAQ 8.4 FW info thread https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1125799

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Is there any difference in a UAx radio coming out of a Mexican RAM??

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. Can't say for sure how it would work in a USA ram. We do know you can get away with a Canadian UAx radio since they still have USA maps and use the same radio frequencies.

M² Mods.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone is looking to do this mod I have a UAS radio for sale in the buy and sell section. Feel free to get a hold of me.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If anyone is looking to do this mod I have a UAS radio for sale in the buy and sell section. Feel free to get a hold of me.
For those looking...
What's the PN?
Is it a Canadian UAS?

M² Mods.