HP/TQ rating for stock 9.25 rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hihemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was getting the telltale whine from the rear end, so I took it in to the shop. Sure enough, the gears were worn. I have an aftermarket warranty, but the warranty company's inspector denied the claim due to "power enhancing parts that increased hp/tq levels beyond what the manufacturer designed it for". I have a CAI and I swapped out the muffler... not exactly high horsepower producing mods. I get that insurance companies will always try to get out of paying high-dollar repairs if they think they can.

I informed them of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, but they claimed not to understand, and that it doesn't apply. It's a federal law, so yes it applies. Anyway...

Before this winds up in court, I'm going to try and show them that the 5 hp I gained from those mods are not enough to exceed the design specs of the stock rear end. The only problem is that I can't find what the stock 9.25 LSD rear with 3.92 is rated to. Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You are finding out that warranties are worthless whether they are factory and/or aftermarket. I wish you luck. As for the spec on the axle I don't think I have every seen it stated. Personally it seems I have to freshen mine every few years which I feel is excessive for my power level.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
maybe 10 or so hp gained from an intake and muffler. I bet your truck hasent had the 2 recalls for the rear end done.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell them you'll get the attorney general involved if they don't want to honor the warranty.

OP
OP
H

hihemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe 10 or so hp gained from an intake and muffler. I bet your truck hasent had the 2 recalls for the rear end done.

I had the dealership pull the vin for active recalls and nothing came up. I have a feeling this is going to drag out for a while...

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you the original owner of the truck and not in Canada?

This would be covered under the lifetime drive train warranty when originally purchased and Chrysler would fix it.

As you stated the intake and muffler would have nothing to do with a rear end failure.

OP
OP
H

hihemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just thought I would provide an update for my warranty dilemma. Received a check in the mail today for $2000, the cost of the repair they should have covered in the first place. I guess taking the time to educate the warranty company on the finer points of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act paid off! Thanks to all those who offered input on this.