Hp tuner with set up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2006 ram 1500. Throwing in a D1-SC. Upgrading to srt 4 stage 1injectors. Plan I’m using Diablo T2. Was instructed by Jay Greene to get an Hp tuner MPVI2. My question is how does the process work? Jay has been great in answering my questions. Didn’t want to bother him anymore so I decided to bother everyone here lol. I’m not computer savvy, I’m assuming I’d need a laptop. I know with blowers there’s always room for adjustment but I’m just looking for plug and play. I thought I’d be able to give my setup upload tune and be done. I realize that driving conditions need to be recorded and sent to get best tune. Do I basically purchase an hp tuner and how does one purchase the “credits” is it specifically 2 credits for license to work on vehicle? Would I need to purchase more credits to do other things to the same vehicle? I don’t want to be stuck on a laptop with the vehicle so if someone can pinpoint how the procedure works I’d appreciate it. There are some vids on YouTube but they sometimes go into 30 min tangents till getting to the point. When you purchase an hp tuner does it already come with credits?

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2006 ram 1500. Throwing in a D1-SC. Upgrading to srt 4 stage 1injectors. Plan I’m using Diablo T2. Was instructed by Jay Greene to get an Hp tuner MPVI2. My question is how does the process work? Jay has been great in answering my questions. Didn’t want to bother him anymore so I decided to bother everyone here lol. I’m not computer savvy, I’m assuming I’d need a laptop. I know with blowers there’s always room for adjustment but I’m just looking for plug and play. I thought I’d be able to give my setup upload tune and be done. I realize that driving conditions need to be recorded and sent to get best tune. Do I basically purchase an hp tuner and how does one purchase the “credits” is it specifically 2 credits for license to work on vehicle? Would I need to purchase more credits to do other things to the same vehicle? I don’t want to be stuck on a laptop with the vehicle so if someone can pinpoint how the procedure works I’d appreciate it. There are some vids on YouTube but they sometimes go into 30 min tangents till getting to the point. When you purchase an hp tuner does it already come with credits?
HP Tuners is a bit complex for someone who has never done any tuning. This is how the HP Tuners process works. First, purchase an MPVI2. When you buy the MPVI2 from the HP Tuners website you will have the option to purchase vehicle credits when you checkout. Once the purchase is complete you will need to download the VCM Suite. The VCM Suite is where you will do everything when it comes to tuning this vehicle. Now, with vehicle credits, once you license a vehicle with a credit you will always be able to tune that vehicle and you do not have to purchase any more credits for that specific vehicle.

Im guessing that Jay Greene is using HP Tuners to tune a truck like yours and wants to use the data recording capabilities of HP Tuners to be able to look at your logs and make edits to the file in HP Tuners and then send it back to you to be flashed to the vehicle. Its actually a pretty simple process to create logs and send the log file to a tuner.

Also, if you want to make any changes to your tune you will have the full capability of HP Tuners to do it but if you do make sure you have a fresh copy of the current tune and only change one thing at a time until you have a greater understanding of what is happening in the tune. It is really easy to make a mistake so when you are learning it is much easier to make a change, drive the vehicle, and if you dont like the change that you made you can easily revert back to the previous setting.

Good luck with you project!

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Understood, thank you. Lastly, do I need a programmer such as a T2 or i3 or can the tune be installed via laptop and hptuner?

yesitsgotahemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this post is a little bit old, but just in case you are still trying to figure it out, no, you don't need any programmer. The HP Tuners OBD2 device (MPVI2) connects to your computer and can read from the ECU and also write tunes to the ECU.