Humidity and water drops inside the front windshield after rain & sun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

Whenever it rains and then the sun comes out the inside of the windshield always get so humid and has water drops

I have already checked all the inside of the cabin but I couldn't find any humid spot.

Where do you think it could come from? Where do you think I should look now?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hi,

Whenever it rains and then the sun comes out the inside of the windshield always get so humid and has water drops

I have already checked all the inside of the cabin but I couldn't find any humid spot.

Where do you think it could come from? Where do you think I should look now?
Have you checked the storage bins in the rear seats or along the floor by the doors? Pull up the trim and see if the carpet is wet. If you have that much moisture on the inside of windows, there is probably a leak somewhere.

When I had a leak, I bought a couple buckets of damprid from Lowe’s and now my cab is dry as a bone. I keep one bucket in the cab at all times now, they last about four months before they are solid. It’s cheap insurance against corrosion to the electrical system.

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I couldn't find any wet spot inside the cabin. Rear window doesn't leak. Storage bins are dry. Carpet is dry everywhere.

Could it maybe come from somewhere in the vents for the air coming towards the windshield?

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the inputs!

I have now checked further and here you go: between the rear seats and the rear wall and it is wet there!
Not sure where its coming from.

Will have to use the water hose...
As I understand it could be:
- the rear windows
- the sliding middle window
- the 3rd brake light (which I sealed actually)
- the 2 rear vents.

Where is the water coming down from the roof/ sunroof??

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sunroof drain tubes run down the cab corners, exit rear wall to the side of the vents.

Left

Right

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Thanks for the inputs!

I have now checked further and here you go: between the rear seats and the rear wall and it is wet there!
Not sure where its coming from.

Will have to use the water hose...
As I understand it could be:
- the rear windows
- the sliding middle window
- the 3rd brake light (which I sealed actually)
- the 2 rear vents.

Where is the water coming down from the roof/ sunroof??
When checking the rear slider, there is two drain holes on either side that get plugged up and the track fills with water and spills over running down the back wall, you can blow them out with air or if you don’t have a compressor you can use a can of dust off for electronics, the straw that comes with the can is the perfect size to fit in the drain holes. If it’s the cab vents, you can put a bead of silicone around them or replace them, they aren’t expensive. If it’s the rear window seal, you can use silicone again to seal that up or have it taken out and resealed but that would be pricy if it broke during removal. Luckily for me it was the vents and the track drain holes when mine was fogging up.

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the inputs guys!!

I have now used the water hose and I have now found the problem...Not the vent holes, not the rear window, not the rear slider windows.......But the sunroof. On the back end of the sunroof some water is coming out and is then dripping on the headliner and then it just runs down the rear pillar.

I checked the end of the drain holes on the rear wall of the cabin but they were not clogged (!) As I don't have any compressor etc... I then blew hard some air from my lungs backwards to the sunroof and it seems to work...At least for now. Water is now coming out of the drain holes on the rear of the cabin.

I have inspected the two front drain holes of the sunroof and they are ok.

Not sure how I can check the 2 rear drain holes on the sunroof however :(
I will also clean the edge of the sunroof and I am wondering if I should apply some grease on it to have a better seal?? What do you think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:

Well beside the sunroof which is fixed now, there is another way that the water in coming into the cabin.
The front windshield was again wet today :mad:

As the humidity seems to come from the dashboard I have checked but couldn't find any wet spot there or in the front seats etc....

However I do see some mold inside the engine hood where there are these big vents close to the windshield.

Water-leak.png

So I suppose that some water get there in these vents and cannot "escape"?? And maybe also get into the cabin maybe....

What are these vents meant for? Is water supposed to get there? If yes how does the water go outside?

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Question for you... Have you cleaned you windshield glass inside really good lately? Use Windex or better yet, vinigar and water
Any oil or dirt on the glass gives a slot for moisture to "hang".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Water getting in the fresh air normally drains out the left and right sides.

The hood liner may be getting water dripping on it from the washer nozzles. They just snap in the hood.
That's what mine were doing.
Water Leaks thru Washer Nozzles onto Hood Liner.jpg

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for you... Have you cleaned you windshield glass inside really good lately? Use Windex or better yet, vinigar and water
Any oil or dirt on the glass gives a slot for moisture to "hang".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes the inside windshield is 100% cleaned ;-)

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Water getting in the fresh air normally drains out the left and right sides.

Where can I find these 2 drains?

And what are these vents in the front of the windshield for?

Last edited:

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Where can I find these 2 drains?

And what are these vents in the front of the windshield for?

The water drains out of the cowl near each hood hinge.
The cowl's grille openings let air into the cabin via the air intake housing.
That housing's opening is just above the cabin air filter that's behind the glove box.