Humming in front end no one can find it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisRoden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Again - I been chasing this darn humming sound for 2 yrs now - I do not know how many parts I replaced and it still doing it - sounds exactly like wheel hub assembly in the humming that you get. Increases in sound with speed. Does not make a difference if turn left or right or under power or coasting.
If jack truck rear end up and place jack stands under axle, run truck up to 80 km or so - so noise

So this time around, I replaced the needle bearing and the stub shaft, seal and the cv joint on passenger side. I also replaced the stub shaft, seal and needle bearing and CV Joint on Drivers side. - No difference
Previously (within last 8 months) replaced both from wheel hub with Timkens - no difference- twice
Replaced rear driveshaft seal at rear end (had very small leak and caught it first day)
Replaced all fluids in both differentials and transfer case, replaced all U Joints, replaced both upper and lower control arms. Replaced the bushing at bottom where strut attaches to lower control arm. Replaced sway bars.

Still no difference- everything tightened to factory torque. the shake I had is gone after the parts (whole front end stubs shaft, cv joints, ect) but this dam noise almost sounds louder now

Moving tires from front to back makes no difference

Any ideas guys?

Feel very slight vibration in steering wheel that seems like it be related to the sound - maybe power steering somehow- no leaks or problems but I stumped- truck does not make the sound when rev engine and in park so its not engine related - that why I don't think its power steering system but I getting desperate

Truck has 177000 km but most suspension and drivetrain is newer lol

any and all ideas welcome- could struts make this kind of sound maybe - if it was round mating surface where seal went on rear differential- maybe that would do it but I think it would do it when up on jack stands so I ruled that out in theory

Thanks
Chris

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
maybe not your issue but i chased a noise for about a year myself but i only heard it on the highway. Turned out to be the front/lower end of my driver side wheel well plastics flapping in the wind. It was missing some hardware but i didnt notice it because it always sat in its correct position when stopped. Good luck

JohnKoegel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too have been chasing down a mysterious drivetrain noise and vibration for almost 2 years. My genius dealership in all their wisdom have replaced the front drive axle and CV shafts twice now under warranty. Now here I sit in my truck with 104000 MI on it. They literally replaced my front drive axle only a year after replacing it the first time and sent me home with a bad rear differential.
Literally 15 trips to the dealership complaining about this particular vibration and now they tell me it's not their problem. I'm past a hundred thousand miles now. Thank you very much FCA.

montana goat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Again - I been chasing this darn humming sound for 2 yrs now - I do not know how many parts I replaced and it still doing it - sounds exactly like wheel hub assembly in the humming that you get. Increases in sound with speed. Does not make a difference if turn left or right or under power or coasting.
If jack truck rear end up and place jack stands under axle, run truck up to 80 km or so - so noise

So this time around, I replaced the needle bearing and the stub shaft, seal and the cv joint on passenger side. I also replaced the stub shaft, seal and needle bearing and CV Joint on Drivers side. - No difference
Previously (within last 8 months) replaced both from wheel hub with Timkens - no difference- twice
Replaced rear driveshaft seal at rear end (had very small leak and caught it first day)
Replaced all fluids in both differentials and transfer case, replaced all U Joints, replaced both upper and lower control arms. Replaced the bushing at bottom where strut attaches to lower control arm. Replaced sway bars.

Still no difference- everything tightened to factory torque. the shake I had is gone after the parts (whole front end stubs shaft, cv joints, ect) but this dam noise almost sounds louder now

Moving tires from front to back makes no difference

Any ideas guys?

Feel very slight vibration in steering wheel that seems like it be related to the sound - maybe power steering somehow- no leaks or problems but I stumped- truck does not make the sound when rev engine and in park so its not engine related - that why I don't think its power steering system but I getting desperate

Truck has 177000 km but most suspension and drivetrain is newer lol

any and all ideas welcome- could struts make this kind of sound maybe - if it was round mating surface where seal went on rear differential- maybe that would do it but I think it would do it when up on jack stands so I ruled that out in theory

Thanks
Chris
had same problem. stub shaft replaced with kit for canada. replaced driver side wheel bearings fixed the problem..