Hurricane durability questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so both the Hurricane I6 engines, (SO & HO), have an aluminum deep-skirt blocks with Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA)-coated 3.31-inch cylinder bores.

Don't Chevy, Ford and most other manufacturers use the ductile iron liners in their performance vehicles?

(I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here but hope this scenario doesn't go down like the Chevrolet Vega's ill fated aluminum block engine without iron liners.)

----------

That said, I had entertained the thought of upgrading my low mile 2016 Longhorn but I think I'll sit this one out for a while.

Your thoughts?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok so both the Hurricane I6 engines, (SO & HO), have an aluminum deep-skirt blocks with Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA)-coated 3.31-inch cylinder bores.

Don't Chevy, Ford and most other manufacturers use the ductile iron liners in their performance vehicles?

(I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here but hope this scenario doesn't go down like the Chevrolet Vega's ill fated aluminum block engine without iron liners.)

----------

That said, I had entertained the thought of upgrading my low mile 2016 Longhorn but I think I'll sit this one out for a while.

Your thoughts?
Getting in at first has pluses and minuses. I would think Ram did their homework enough to not put a troubled engine in, that would be disastrous for them. But having it at first gives you both warranty and the chance to sell for a better price if you jump out early. What I mean is that if there is a bug to work out, you could sell or trade early enough that the full impact to used value wouldn't have hit much. That may sound a bit messed up, but is a way to consider upgrading now. Good luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ferd did the Plasma arc lined cylinder sleeve bore, W low tension piston rings, on the 2018 5.0 cayote for it to be an oil pumper and use a Qt of oil every 2,000, there fix was to give you an upgraded dip stick W hash marks moved and told customers to add another Qt of motor oil when refilling.

OP
OP
P

Poram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good comments. I'll probably hold off for a year or more on upgrading.
I guess a person could always opt for an extended warranty for peace of mind.
:hmm:
---

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m thinking time will answer your question. I never buy a new engine in the first year.
I understand the sentiment, and would tend to agree. But it's not the first year for the Hurricane engines. They're on their second year in the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. You could say the 2025 Ram will be the third year for these engines.

Tonysr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
From what I read and was told by local dealer, they haven't seen problems with the Hurricane engine in the Jeep Wagoneer but like with anything even the Hemi didn't have problems until they went to Cyl. deactivation. My 2005 had no engine issues even at 250K miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Durability issues usually don't show up in the first through third years of production, but especially in the first year. Of course its mileage dependent as well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108005 miles.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I understand the sentiment, and would tend to agree. But it's not the first year for the Hurricane engines. They're on their second year in the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. You could say the 2025 Ram will be the third year for these engines.
I understand that they have been used for several years in BMWs. Not that I find that promising. I would wait.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L

----------

Your thoughts?
Frankly, a 3.L engine with twin turbos is pushing all the HP and torque out of a small displacement engine can deliver. It barley gets much better mpg as the 5.7. What's the point?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If the PTWA on the bores is like the Ford, it is around 0.004" thick. Seems like the block is basically trash if it gets a nick or gouge in the cylinder wall. I suspect few shops will have the specialized equipment to re-coat the bores. I guess you could increase displacement by boring it 0.002" over. :D

That and no oil dipstick, it seems like this is designed to be a disposable engine. At great expense to the unlucky owner.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Will these be like a real hurricane ? In the news when new , then destruction , then it just falls apart into pieces ? Who pays for a new engine when that sensor fails ? My 2014 had a failed oil pressure sending unit under 8,000 miles and 6 months old.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ferd did the Plasma arc lined cylinder sleeve bore, W low tension piston rings, on the 2018 5.0 cayote for it to be an oil pumper and use a Qt of oil every 2,000, there fix was to give you an upgraded dip stick W hash marks moved and told customers to add another Qt of motor oil when refilling.
Porsche has used coated aluminum cylinders for years with good results. Ford owners and Porsche owners are lightyears apart in terms of diligence in being sticklers for timely maintenance.
There! I diluted the mix with a douse of water! ;)

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From what I read and was told by local dealer, they haven't seen problems with the Hurricane engine in the Jeep Wagoneer but like with anything even the Hemi didn't have problems until they went to Cyl. deactivation. My 2005 had no engine issues even at 250K miles.

MDS is not the problem, it was part of the very first hemi even back in 2005.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Frankly, a 3.L engine with twin turbos is pushing all the HP and torque out of a small displacement engine can deliver. It barley gets much better mpg as the 5.7. What's the point?
Emmisions, a common reason, well known for several years.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge and Durability dont go in the same sentence...lol...