HVAC fan switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
My fan switch stopped working. It was intermittent at first. A few times with the AC on I turned the fan off and theAC light stayed on. Does anyone have any suggestions to diagnose this issue. I appreciate any info.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
First thing would be to do a continuity check of the switches. Remove the radio bezel to get to the screws that hold the switch block in place, use a multimeter set to Ohms to check if the switches are closing or staying open. Check your connectors for corrosion when you have them apart.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it the switch or the resistor?

OP
OP
J

jcsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
The switch was working on all speeds so I assume the resistor was good, but electrics are not my forte

OP
OP
J

jcsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
Update; turned out to be the ignition switch on the left of steering column. Not the key tumbler. The contacts get hot and burned raising the resistance , and losing contact.This might help someone in the future. I was able to remove the shroud around the column and wiggle the switch , which got the fan working again while I waited for the new switch to come in.