Hydrolocked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, maybe they will end up totaling it after it's all said and done. The dealer doesn't have an estimate yet, they are still looking at it. I'm in the Bryan College Station area. It's just in between Houston and Austin.

Little too far from me or I would have you bring it to us for that estimate.

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Little too far from me or I would have you bring it to us for that estimate.

Yeah, it sucks. It's at a place called lithia dodge. I'm going to talk to insurance on monday I guess and see if I can get some sort of guarantee i'm set with the thing. In all honesty, I took it to the dealer anticipating higher costs to try to drive the estimate up. Guess we'll see :)

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so, I've tried that. I get told " I don't know ". Or , " Someone will call you with more information ". I spoke to the dealer earlier today and they said it should have never been attempted to be started. The transmi

I understand, but when the insurance company wants to fix it, you can't just say no thanks. At least, I don't think you can. Hence my coming here to ask questions. I've never been in a situation like this and was hoping for some feedback as to the best course of action.

Get them to repair it and then trade it on or sell the same day you get it back.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No diminution in value on 1st party claims in pa

Add on items add to the acv of the vehicle

In some states if water gets into the cab it' s a total loss.

All states have differet laws regarding salvage vehicles.

With that much water I'm surrised they are repairing it. Do they have a DRP that they will guarantee their work?

If no laws in tx regarding water into the cab it's all about the numbers. Our trucks are worth a lot and they hold their value so it takes a lot to total them. If you repair id sell afterwards. They can't force you to fix it. You can cash out then sell the damaged truck for savage and put both into something else. Good luck

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t know what all aftermarket parts you have, but is it possible for you return it to stock and have the re-evaluate the damage?

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No diminution in value on 1st party claims in pa

Add on items add to the acv of the vehicle

In some states if water gets into the cab it' s a total loss.

All states have differet laws regarding salvage vehicles.

With that much water I'm surrised they are repairing it. Do they have a DRP that they will guarantee their work?

If no laws in tx regarding water into the cab it's all about the numbers. Our trucks are worth a lot and they hold their value so it takes a lot to total them. If you repair id sell afterwards. They can't force you to fix it. You can cash out then sell the damaged truck for savage and put both into something else. Good luck

In texas, the mandated amount is 100% threshold. In some states it's like 50% or 45%, but in texas, they can hold out up to 100%. Granted, i don't know why they would. They are saying anything they fix they will guarantee for the life of ME OWNING the truck. It's non-transferrable though. This however won't put a guarantee on things they don't fix. I'm going to just get with the dealer and progressive and tell them unless they can guarantee me that the entire truck is going to have the same warranty as before, with the addition to corrosion and / or electrical issues for another 50k miles, then i'll likely tell them they can keep the truck as I dont' want it back.

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know what all aftermarket parts you have, but is it possible for you return it to stock and have the re-evaluate the damage?

Unfortunately, no. It has the following modifications.

• Wheels
  • Tires
  • Exhaust
  • headers
  • Airbags ( rear )
  • An air compressor is attached to the spare tire well. ( Custom brackets ) - This has leads to my rear airbags with a switch in the cab. This also has an output nozzle under the rear bumper I can use to inflate tires.
  • Lift and shocks
  • Multiple light bars ( in front )
  • Amp power steps
Even if I had the replacements parts, I don't have a place to remove half of those items. I don't have the wheels or tires from when I purchased the truck. The lift doesn't require stock items, but again, I have nowhere to take it off. It's on a lift at a dealer. Before that, they took the damn thing like 200 miles away. This is in addition to the wiring of everything, and labor costs for most of the stuff to be installed. It's quite a bit of higher-ish end items on the truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
In texas, the mandated amount is 100% threshold. In some states it's like 50% or 45%, but in texas, they can hold out up to 100%. Granted, i don't know why they would. They are saying anything they fix they will guarantee for the life of ME OWNING the truck. It's non-transferrable though. This however won't put a guarantee on things they don't fix. I'm going to just get with the dealer and progressive and tell them unless they can guarantee me that the entire truck is going to have the same warranty as before, with the addition to corrosion and / or electrical issues for another 50k miles, then i'll likely tell them they can keep the truck as I dont' want it back.

They likely will stand behind the work they do, but they can't guarantee the entire truck for everything. You need to be fair and reasonable and so do they. They need to return your truck to as close as possible the condition it was in pre loss. No more no less.

Your correct m tx is 100% of the acv and you deduct refinishing time in that calculation. I don't know where you are financially, but again you could take the repair cost, sell the damaged truck and put both into something else. You don't have to fix it if you don' want to. However the insurance carrier won't total the truck if the damage isn't there to support their claim file. Again it's all about the numbers. It would be good to know what the acv and salvage values of Your truck is. If the acv less salvage value is less than the repair cost for known damages, you could possibly make an argument for totaling the truck.

Insurance is a very highly regulated industry these days. There are carriers out there better than others but there is a lot of governmental oversight these days to protect the consumer, which is good.

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They likely will stand behind the work they do, but they can't guarantee the entire truck for everything. You need to be fair and reasonable and so do they. They need to return your truck to as close as possible the condition it was in pre loss. No more no less.

Your correct m tx is 100% of the acv and you deduct refinishing time in that calculation. I don't know where you are financially, but again you could take the repair cost, sell the damaged truck and put both into something else. You don't have to fix it if you don' want to. However the insurance carrier won't total the truck if the damage isn't there to support their claim file. Again it's all about the numbers. It would be good to know what the acv and salvage values of Your truck is. If the acv less salvage value is less than the repair cost for known damages, you could possibly make an argument for totaling the truck.

Insurance is a very highly regulated industry these days. There are carriers out there better than others but there is a lot of governmental oversight these days to protect the consumer, which is good.

ACV of the truck is 37000 ( from them ) with my add-ons. REpair costs are estimated to be 17000 ( Though, we're expecting a supplemental on this due to the issues that can't be seen yet ) the salvage value is about 13000 ( Plus or minus 1k ). Because the actual cost to repair the truck is so much less than tha acv, and they already know i'm not going to be eligible for diminished value, do I still have a way to try and convince them to total? The numbers don't really look good in my favor.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like you need to find about $7000 more damage to get them to consider totaling it.

I would bet the transmission is probably toast now too, it would have gotten water in it and since it has been sitting for a while now. Transfer case and front and rear diffs will have water in them too.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys,

Quick question. My truck made it out to the forest this weekend. It rained a bit, and long story short, it did excellent. That is.. until I found a 8-foot hole. The truck was submerged ( up to door handles with a 6 inch lift, and 35's ) and had about half a gallon of water in the intake. It shut itself off ( died while entering the " hole " ). Once it died, we called a tow truck they came and got us. Did not attempt to start the truck, but everything electric worked ( including my amp side steps ).

AFter it was all said and done insurance said " we're totaling it ". They took it about 200 miles away, then called me a week later and said " good news, not totaling it ". However; they tried to start it multiple times while it was on their lot.

They are taking it to a dodge dealer to have it " inspected ". Pretty positive the engine is ruined. None the less, progressive is saying it needs a new engine.

I'm extremely worried about letting them fix it and being okay with it. Does anyone with knowledge of how the insurance process works have any pointers? Water made it into the cab ( not much, about an inch or so, but it was 70% mud, and dried like mud ).

Thanks!

You should just keep quiet and be thankful they are fixing it!!! They do not have to cover any of it since it happened "Off road". I hydrolocked my motor in my jeep from puddle water splashing up, and my cold air intake sucking it in on my jeep JK. I had to pay $6K for a new motor out of pocket. Insuransce said they only cover it if it happens on a paved road.

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should just keep quiet and be thankful they are fixing it!!! They do not have to cover any of it since it happened "Off road". I hydrolocked my motor in my jeep from puddle water splashing up, and my cold air intake sucking it in on my jeep JK. I had to pay $6K for a new motor out of pocket. Insuransce said they only cover it if it happens on a paved road.

Typically, i'd agree with you. However; I did my homework before I purchased with progressive. Long as I'm legally allowed to be where I was, they will cover me. Their contract says nothing about lifted vehicles, and nothing about coverage being off road. so no, I don't feel thankful. This is why insurance exists, for accidents. I searched high and low before I settled with progressive. I too was worried they would not cover being off road and / or perhaps the lifted truck. After speaking with them numerous times, and reading over their contract I was pretty confident i would be covered. In fact, you likely weren't covered because you were using an aftermarket CAI perhaps? As far as I know, you can't be denied coverage as long as you were on a road that you were legally allowed to be on. Hell, in texas we have the off-highway road system managed by the state parks. It's kind of hard to say if it's not paved you won't be insured when literally hundreds of miles of legally driveable roads exist that are not paved. Using the logic of whatever insurance provider you had, I can't drive on my farm, or I can't go down a gravel road to get to work. I would have without a doubt fought that, that's legitimately an is issue. In order to get out to some of the oilfields we have to drive 10-15 miles on nothing but mud, dirt, and forest trails sometimes. Aside from that, I don't know how pa is, but we have farm to market roads that are sometimes nothing more than dirt, not even gravel.

Last edited:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically, i'd agree with you. However; I did my homework before I purchased with progressive. Long as I'm legally allowed to be where I was, they will cover me. Their contract says nothing about lifted vehicles, and nothing about coverage being off road. so no, I don't feel thankful. This is why insurance exists, for accidents. I searched high and low before I settled with progressive. I too was worried they would not cover being off road and / or perhaps the lifted truck.

State farm didnt cover my off road mishap. Guess I will look into progressive in the future. Thats good to know. Either your motor is hydrolocked, or it isnt. If you turn the key and just the starter clicks, its hydrolocked. As long as they change your front and rear diff fluids and tranny fluid, you should be fine.

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
State farm didnt cover my off road mishap. Guess I will look into progressive in the future. Thats good to know. Either your motor is hydrolocked, or it isnt. If you turn the key and just the starter clicks, its hydrolocked. As long as they change your front and rear diff fluids and tranny fluid, you should be fine.

State farm is one of the more widely known " approved " insurance providers for people that go off road. Everyone at work swears by them ( farmers mostly ) because they are so offroad friendly. This may be a state by state thing, but yes, if you want to go offroad, i would 100% look at progressive. They are a headache right now, but compared to what happened to you, I guess I am a bit thankful.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
State farm is one of the more widely known " approved " insurance providers for people that go off road. Everyone at work swears by them ( farmers mostly ) because they are so offroad friendly. This may be a state by state thing, but yes, if you want to go offroad, i would 100% look at progressive. They are a headache right now, but compared to what happened to you, I guess I am a bit thankful.

Yeah man when i found out they would not cover it, I was livid! It might be a state by state thing. I hope everything turns out the way you want man. But i would definitely have them check the tranny and diffs before its driven.

OzCop

Reaction score
Highland Village, TX...north of Dallas about 28 mi
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Ecodiesel
Engine
Ecodiesel
Adding the cost of engine repair or replace wouldn't total it? My honest guess is the motor is toast, and the entire fuel system is compromised given the water content. Sounds like it should be totaled...

OP
OP
yillbs

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so I got the final estimate, and it's much less thane expected.

The total includes the following.

• full detail
  • Engine replacement ( new )
  • Fuilds changed ( diff, front and rear )
  • Transmission flush with new fluid and general " cleaning "
  • All new fluids in the engine
  • Labor
Total came to 9650 installed ( no miles with standard warranty )

This doesn't include the cost of fixing the scratches and / or others.

Progressive wants to use a used engine ( even though mine only had 13k miles ).
I'm arguing that they agreed to put my truck back into the same state it was in before the accident, and before the accident the truck had a warranty. I won't know how that goes, but we'll see tomorrow. I still have to get the quote to fix my AMP steps, train horn, compressor, and a few other add-ons that was done to it. getting them to total is seems like it's not going to happen.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so I got the final estimate, and it's much less thane expected.

The total includes the following.

• full detail
  • Engine replacement ( new )
  • Fuilds changed ( diff, front and rear )
  • Transmission flush with new fluid and general " cleaning "
  • All new fluids in the engine
  • Labor
Total came to 9650 installed ( no miles with standard warranty )

This doesn't include the cost of fixing the scratches and / or others.

Progressive wants to use a used engine ( even though mine only had 13k miles ).
I'm arguing that they agreed to put my truck back into the same state it was in before the accident, and before the accident the truck had a warranty. I won't know how that goes, but we'll see tomorrow. I still have to get the quote to fix my AMP steps, train horn, compressor, and a few other add-ons that was done to it. getting them to total is seems like it's not going to happen.
That’ll definitely be an interesting one. I see your point on the factory warranty, but I can also see them asking for a betterment difference if you go new.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard bad things about progressive telling repair shops where and what parts to get and use. I'd really be suspect of the "used" engine they want to install. I've had progressive insurance for years however I've never filed a claim. Some of the story's I've heard of people dealing with them has made me consider switching company's. Hope you get good results.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley