I did a thing.. AEV.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was my first ever. It's not hard. Time consuming. If I would have had another adult person with me and a lift I would have been alot quicker. My 11 year old simply didn't have the lift or the knowledge of what I was asking him to be efficient.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat.

There's also a few of us around here to bounce questions off of or help if you get stuck. The instructions leave a bit to be desired.

Read this step by step about 5 times before you order.

This is the only cut I made with a 4" angle grinder. took FOREVER.

All the cuts after that I used my portaband. MUCH faster, much cleaner. If I can advise anything it's find a way to cut metal with out the death wheel. Portaband was difficult because you had to hold your mouth just right to get the cut you needed but again worth it.

Last edited:

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It was my first ever. It's not hard. Time consuming. If I would have had another adult person with me and a lift I would have been alot quicker. My 11 year old simply didn't have the lift or the knowledge of what I was asking him to be efficient.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat.

There's also a few of us around here to bounce questions off of or help if you get stuck. The instructions leave a bit to be desired.

Read this step by step about 5 times before you order.

This is the only cut I made with a 4" angle grinder. took FOREVER.

All the cuts after that I used my portaband. MUCH faster, much cleaner. If I can advise anything it's find a way to cut metal with out the death wheel. Portaband was difficult because you had to hold your mouth just right to get the cut you needed but again worth it.
Which portaband saw worked for you?

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just used the HF portable bandsaw. Afterwards I think a smaller Milwaukee would do it but I cant say for sure. Either way you're not going to have a straight shot at the cuts and the saw is going to be at an angle and you just have to power it through.

Or you have to find some other saw or just use a cutoff.

LV4WILN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size are your tires? Your truck looks great, looking at this lift and Superlift. Have you still been happy with the kit?

Last edited:

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for bumping this thread ^ .. I've been wanting one of these kits for a while to replace my 4" RC lift. I love the aluminum steering knuckles and proper geometry they give.. I emailed AEV a few months ago asking if they'd sell me just the knuckles but they said no :/ if anyone knows of any being sold used im all ears! Honestly the RC knuckles are probably the biggest factor that makes that particular lift ride worse than others.

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size are your tires? Your truck looks great, looking at this lift and Superlift. Have you still been happy with the kit?
295/75-18 off the top of my head. Yup still love it. Happy i dis it. Might change the wheels to get a different offset and run 37's. We'll see.

Thanks for bumping this thread ^ .. I've been wanting one of these kits for a while to replace my 4" RC lift. I love the aluminum steering knuckles and proper geometry they give.. I emailed AEV a few months ago asking if they'd sell me just the knuckles but they said no :/ if anyone knows of any being sold used im all ears! Honestly the RC knuckles are probably the biggest factor that makes that particular lift ride worse than others.
Well you're in luck, the full kits are back in stock.

Yeah I'ma **** but I like the kit...

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you're in luck, the full kits are back in stock.

Yeah I'ma **** but I like the kit...

I'd do it if I didn't already have the frame cut for the RC lift! I don't imagine it would be possible without some frame fabrication first :/

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I reached back out and AEV does in fact now sell the knuckles themselves. Here's the link they provided: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aev-nrm0054aa

These are apparently up to 25lbs lighter than the "competition" which I assume to be RC/Zone/BDS and their super heavy cast knuckles. I imagine that these would make a rather drastic improvement in ride quality since they're unsprung weight.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963