I Got Rearended Yesterday! :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coming home from work, someone slammed into me at around 40mph. It pushed me about 3 feet into the car in front of me.

Insurance is already on the ball with this. Got the shop and the rental in line.

I am hoping that they will allow for new paintable bumpers and paint them to match the truck, rather than putting on chrome ones.

I will need new exhaust too...

Crash1.jpg

Crash2.jpg

Crash3.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to belittle your bad luck, but it looks like you sure came out better than the car that hit you-- Hope your OK! I'm not sure of the price difference in the chrome bumpers and the painted bumpers but maybe you can work with the body shop.
Jay

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you are ok. This is why I love it my wife likes trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you are OK....did the airbags deploy?

lak8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Make sure you get the shop to check for rear frame damage.

It looks ok from my prospective, but i have a friend in autobody and he sees frames twisted all the time from rear hits. (much like the one pictured)
I really couldn't believe it when he showed me some pictures of "looks like normal damage to me" but frame had to be slightly pulled using a frame machine

Sorry if this is kinda downer news but better safe then sorry

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Chrome bumpers cost more... they should be able to get them swapped... now the cost to paint may be higher

Saw ur backup lights... have the same one.. make sure they swap it over

Michael Deery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
It looks like you fared better than I did when I got rear ended on the 14th. Although, I obviously can't see what happened under your car with the exhaust and the frame, etc. However, I can say that the truck definitely kept my son and me safe. Neither of us was injured. My RAM replaced a 2015 mini cooper s. Although they are well built, we definitely would have been injured in the mini.ram hit 2.jpg

OP
OP
17CrewCab1500

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never saw him coming, no air bags on my truck.
All ok, will have shop look at everything.
I know paint is expensive for my color. $150 for a half pint... Hope they will do that.. And then paint my grill to match, as it was off a 2014 and the color is a bit off since different color.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on your relationship with the body shop--or more specifically the painter, I've found that a couple cases of beer sometimes goes a long way----
:naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
17CrewCab1500

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worried a bit for the value of the truck now too. I wonder if it has to be "X amount" to be reported in an accident? I mean it's so far just the bumpers..

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know how they classify the severity of the damage? Maybe someone else can chime in.
Jay

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure they check the frame. I was rear ended in my 08 silverado. One guy hit me going about 30. The person behind him hit him going 50 and the last person in the line hit going 50+. I got a bump everytime. My visable damage was a little less than Mikes. However on Silverados the hitch mounts to the rear of the frame. It twisted the end caps of the frame such that the insurance company stated it needed a new frame and compensated me for one. I have a brother in law who is 2nd gen auto repair, said that he could straighten it and it would be fine as long as I wasn't going to trailer tow super heavy. Long story short that accident is why i am in a '17 ram now.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I never saw him coming, no air bags on my truck.
All ok, will have shop look at everything.
I know paint is expensive for my color. $150 for a half pint... Hope they will do that.. And then paint my grill to match, as it was off a 2014 and the color is a bit off since different color.

Sorry for your misfortune. That really sucks but at least the person had insurance and damage seems minimal. You can get painted bumpers to match any factory color off eBay from a reputable guy and they are like $600 a pop with mopar paint. I’ve been looking into it for my 18 as I’m not a fan of the chrome. Check them out bc when u factor in a new bumper and paint $600
Shipped is a good deal.

Also any car made after the early 90s has to have airbags... yours just didn’t deploy (lucky u as they make a mess and expensive to replace). Same thing goes for all cars after 2018 it’s manditory for them to have backup cameras. U look on the steering wheel below the ram and you’ll see SRS and same on the pass side dash, your prob also have the SRS on the seats for side suplimental collision.

OP
OP
17CrewCab1500

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is I better not have to pay for anything. His insurance should be paying for everything.
The shop I chose does all OEM stuff, so hoping they will be able to do the paintable bumpers rather than chrome and just paint them.

Just sucks the truck is so new.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
Similar thing just happened to me in my 2016 Outdoorsman. I was rear-ended while stopped in traffic to get in the PA Farm show. A couple days ago, I picked up my truck from its week long stay at the body shop. The best advice I have is to take close up pictures before the repair and closely examine it when you pick it up. I'll be going back for the second time to address issues I found. When I picked it up, I noticed my extra stainless steel security bolts were not installed on the license plate. They found them in the shop. When I got home, I noticed the plug that fills the hole where a hitch ball can be mounted to the bumper was missing. They are ordering one to replace it. Then I found the time to really look at it and saw the tailgate panel gap on the driver side is 2x that on the passenger side and the tailgate is not flush with the LR quarter panel. I thought I picked the best body shop around, so I'm a little disappointed. I trusted them too much and was in a hurry to make a kids doctor appointment. Lesson learned: close up photos before repair and close inspection after.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
And another thing. The other insurance company will put you in a compact rental car. In my case, the other person's Ins. Co. was Progressive. The rental company (Enterprise) said the Ins. Co. would have to authorize anything different. I called Progressive and they asked if I used my truck for work. I honestly answered No, but I do use it to carry stuff for other reasons and I absolutely needed 4wd. After a little back and forth, they called Enterprise and I got a 2017 Frontier crew cab for the week. Not the equivalent F150 that I hoped for, but better than a Hyundai Elantra.