P0700 Code thrown during road trip; new spinning ring noise when I got home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texasmetalhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi 4x4. On a recent road trip, I crushed the last 700 miles in 1 day, and got the P0700 code was thrown at me. Once I got home, there was a new noise that I have never heard before. I didn't hear the noise until I got home as it is louder at low speed, and it wasn't present at my last gas stop, about 350-400 miles prior. Note: I only drove in 2 wheel-drive this entire trip.

The noise sounds like a spinning ring, almost like an outer race on a bearing with 0 lube, and 1 of the rollers is starting to go. However, it's much louder at lower speeds than it is high speeds. It sounds like it is coming from the front/mid section of the vehicle and the noise is not present when stopped. After reaching 40 mph, the noise is much less audible. I can still hear it, but it sounds like it is spinning much slower when I am over 40 mph. Moreover, about a week before this trip home the trans pulled a fast one on me and had trouble engaging into 1st gear. I had to give it a lot of gas to get going, throughout the first 3 gears. Weirdly enough, I pulled over and turned the truck off. Restarted and no issues at all. Not even an Engine light.

Current Miles: 275xxx Trans: automatic

Can a rear dif make this noise? I'd be surprised if so. I'm not under the impression it's a wheel bearing in the front, as I've replaced both within the last two years.
My other thoughts are transfer case maybe, or torque converter? It sounds directly related to first gear in my trans, and I think the TCM needs to be replaced now. I think it may have failed to lubricate during my road trip, and as a result one of the internal bearings in the trans is ready to go. Seriously lost on this one, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.