I have a 2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500, are vans welcome here? If not - where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keepers51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I have tried to find a forum that is Ram Van friendly but have had no luck, just trucks so far. Is there a better place for me to look? I have a 2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500, my first ever Dodge, and have questions that are unique to the van.
For Instance:
It has 95k miles on it and I got it in June from California. In Arizona now. Since I took it out of the LA Freeway lifestyle and introduced it to what calls 'Primative Roads' it has immediately developed continuous chassis and/or suspension squonks, squeaks and creaks on every bump and uneven road surface change. Is there some overall chassis and/or suspension lubrication or cushioning that is need to attend to? I've had other vehicles here in the desert that haven't had this sort of harsh metal scraping and grating sound.
Also, when I was a young person working in gas stations there was a book that showed all models of vehicle lube points. Is there such a book or reference existing today? I need to know more about how and where to lubricate this 2000 Dodge Ram Van. Anyone know? Because I want to have a look for myself if I'm getting what I expect from a lube job.
I looked up 'Squonk'. Maybe not making squonk sound. ‍♂️. But another word that fits the category of squeaks and creaks. Maybe crackle?

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You are welcome to hang out with us. These guys put up with me, so you are going to be a big step up from that. We will help if we can.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome. An old Chilton's or Hayne's from 2000 laying around for a Dodge Van. Have you tried the library? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... That would be an interesting find.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only thought: Crawl under front end and look and work your way back: Bushings, arms, upper/lower, sway bar, drive shaft front/rear, just start looking for grease zerks. Maybe U know a Guy that has a garage and you can get the van lifted and you both can start looking: There should at least be points on the universals for the drive shafts, and maybe control arms and such. But alas, I searched and could not find any references on a google search. Only thoughts I have.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey OP, check this: IF U think this works, I sure as heck would not wait long to get it.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have tried to find a forum that is Ram Van friendly but have had no luck, just trucks so far. Is there a better place for me to look? I have a 2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500, my first ever Dodge, and have questions that are unique to the van.
For Instance:
It has 95k miles on it and I got it in June from California. In Arizona now. Since I took it out of the LA Freeway lifestyle and introduced it to what calls 'Primative Roads' it has immediately developed continuous chassis and/or suspension squonks, squeaks and creaks on every bump and uneven road surface change. Is there some overall chassis and/or suspension lubrication or cushioning that is need to attend to? I've had other vehicles here in the desert that haven't had this sort of harsh metal scraping and grating sound.
Also, when I was a young person working in gas stations there was a book that showed all models of vehicle lube points. Is there such a book or reference existing today? I need to know more about how and where to lubricate this 2000 Dodge Ram Van. Anyone know? Because I want to have a look for myself if I'm getting what I expect from a lube job.
I looked up 'Squonk'. Maybe not making squonk sound. ‍♂️. But another word that fits the category of squeaks and creaks. Maybe crackle?

See my posts 8,9 and 10.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I posted the factory service manual on here for the 1996 2500 v10 and v8s, diesel etc Ram. I would be willing to bet most of your van would be well covered by that as they didn't change much by 2000. If has the lube points

OP
OP
keepers51

keepers51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Thanks, turkeybird56, ordered it without a second thought.
I found an interesting article on Hemmings.com titled 'Lubrication Charts - chassis maintenance sure isn't what it used to be', followed by 40 comments with brief stories about the days they experienced working with these very reference materials and charts in the 50's and 60's and some hints on how I might start my search.

OP
OP
keepers51

keepers51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Thanks Dean2. I'll check that and see if there is a 2000 version.
After reading comments on the Hemmings.com Lubrication Article I definitely think the metal chassis parts need lubrication. For instance between the leaf springs, and associated bushings. Makes since since it just started when I took it off the highway and put it in the dirt and rough terrain is when the noises showed up. Just wish I had a creeper and hard froor instead of moving blanket on gravel!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
See lots of great people on here willing to help or just add their twoonie

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram Forum, allot of crusty and non-crusty folks on here you'll fit right in!!!! need some more pics of that rig, up here they are all in the bone yard.

OP
OP
keepers51

keepers51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Dean2, I didn't realize until this morning that the link 1996 Dodge Ram Service Manual.pdf was the actual manual. I thought it was just a pic. Wow, thanks! I have to research lubricants now that I've read petroleum based lube is harmful to some of today's steel components. Geez, things are getting more complicated!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Suggest you save it to your hard drive. The Google locations have been known to disappear from time to time. It also makes it easy to print out pages or to use a laptop to look at while doing work.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought we had to be crabby OF's here, mind you there is the lift it till its buggered guys .
I wonder with that van if some of could be the doors making a racket.
Any van I have been in , you could watch the road past your feet, but that's not a problem in sun country.
As others said , check all the bushing and body mounts
Welcome aboard From Canada

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat