I know. I know. Third brake light leak. Best fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello folks. My 2017 holds back water like a strainer.

I used the climaloc plus that is a good thickness and in my opinion did a great job of cleaning the surface and applying the sealer.

My truck now has been completely soaked. Finding massive puddles on my driver Side husky liner and carpet soaked in the back all the way to the front. My headliner is also stained in both rear corners however not wet to touch. I’m assuming they’re drying fast enough.

So, has anyone found a proper way to keep water out ?

And can my truck suffer serious consequences ? Water damaging electronics ? Mould ?

9a21d8eef9d25240ea9934d97b91dfe0.jpgc6aaf5c659ceb35a9c7cc6dddfaaa37c.jpg

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^

Glad it helped, yes fix it immediately it is so easy you will hate it if you don't do it like today or tomorrow. Yes I fricken got mold, that is how I knew I had an issue. Mold over everything in the back of my seat. Lucky after fixing it and removing everything, never had anymore issues. It is like a 1 out of 5 on mechanics easy scale, really easy to do. It is horrible ram didn't put a better seal there.

Chach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just took mine in to the dealer with the same issue. They replaced the seal and are replacing the headliner as we speak. Still under warranty, no cost to me

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just took mine in to the dealer with the same issue. They replaced the seal and are replacing the headliner as we speak. Still under warranty, no cost to me

Great. Should I mention the carpets ? Should I just lift them up on a dry sunny day and let air get underneath ? Maybe spray some Lysol spray ?? F*%^ I don’t want mould.

Or let them replace those too? This is embarrassing we have to worry about this

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Chach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Great. Should I mention the carpets ? Should I just lift them up on a dry sunny day and let air get underneath ? Maybe spray some Lysol spray ?? F*%^ I don’t want mould.

Or let them replace those too? This is embarrassing we have to worry about this

I would tell them every thing that got wet and mention black mold. They will probably think a little different if there's a health risk. Try to get them to replace everything, won't hurt to try.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would tell them every thing that got wet and mention black mold. They will probably think a little different if there's a health risk. Try to get them to replace everything, won't hurt to try.

Good point man. I paid decent money for this. Paid for extended warranty. I take care of my truck and I deserve to get my money’s worth and not have to DIY this. I deserve that I think

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
^^

Glad it helped, yes fix it immediately it is so easy you will hate it if you don't do it like today or tomorrow. Yes I fricken got mold, that is how I knew I had an issue. Mold over everything in the back of my seat. Lucky after fixing it and removing everything, never had anymore issues. It is like a 1 out of 5 on mechanics easy scale, really easy to do. It is horrible ram didn't put a better seal there.

Hey is it this stuff ?? That size?

M-D Building Products 1033 All-Climate Auto and Marine Weatherstrip, 10-Feet, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000I1QHA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FGbCBbEN3HWPG

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ yes 1033

When I hit your link this is what my amazon said...

You purchased this item on March 15, 2016.

Last edited:

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Keep in mind your local Home Depot carries it in stock. Give the rep this sku so they can check 319-612

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind your local Home Depot carries it in stock. Give the rep this sku so they can check 319-612

"This product isn't currently sold in stores/Delivery is unavailable for this product"

Apparently not sold by HD at this time.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
"This product isn't currently sold in stores/Delivery is unavailable for this product"

Apparently not sold by HD at this time.
Could be that not all Home Depot are the same. They sell it at mine. I literally just bought it today at HD

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be that not all Home Depot are the same. They sell it at mine. I literally just bought it today at HD

Yeah, must differ by location. I am in VA.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok so for those that brought it in to dealer what was the fix? I’m probably gonna bring it in soon and tell them to fix the light and headliner. However, I will pass if they just gonna cake the light in some sort of goo.

Thanks

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced the brake light bulb and Bed lights with led bulbs, then used silicone to seal it. I have a feeling the regular bulb generates a lot of heat and dries/warps the seal causing the leak. Just a thought though.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the brake light bulb and Bed lights with led bulbs, then used silicone to seal it. I have a feeling the regular bulb generates a lot of heat and dries/warps the seal causing the leak. Just a thought though.

Yep, makes sense! BTW, what bulbs did you use?

TXCOMT

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, makes sense! BTW, what bulbs did you use?

TXCOMT
The sylania zveo led lights. They were not the cheapest but they work and I get no error message

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Once they fix everything. I still would suggest replacing the seal. Let them do their thing so everything inside is fixed, but remove the new soon to fail seal they put on, and do the proper fix posted in this thread.

Their seal will eventually dry out and fail. The fix in this tread is final (as long as the adhesive sticks the weather stripping to the 3rd brake light).