Slapping sound when starting sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey folks.

Sometimes when I start my truck I hear like a loud tick or slapping sound usually lasts about 3-5 seconds ish and goes away.

2017 with Hemi.

Oil is the synthetic from dealer.

Should I even bother bringing it up to the dealer? They’ll just tell me it’s normal. And when I’m 18 kilometres over warranty something will break with my luck

Just did a search and found this! This is pretty much what it does to a T

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hey folks.

Sometimes when I start my truck I hear like a loud tick or slapping sound usually lasts about 3-5 seconds ish and goes away.

2017 with Hemi.

Should I even bother bringing it up to the dealer? They’ll just tell me it’s normal. And when I’m 18 kilometres over warranty something will break with my luck

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box
Mine is doing nearly the same thing on cold mornings or after its been sitting a couple of days.
I believe it's the oil not being thick enough to keep the rotating assembly coated properly. JMHO

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I believe if you search "hemi-tick" on this forum and you'll probably find plenty of info.

I know it’s been covered. But this is just on start up and goes away. Wondering if it’s a dif Issue ?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I know it’s been covered. But this is just on start up and goes away. Wondering if it’s a dif Issue ?

I listened to the video again and I see what you're talking about. It's a quick noise for just a couple seconds right? Seems like the hemi-tick does last a little longer than that. Maybe it is something like McBroom is talking about. It almost sounds like your rocker arms are a little dry or maybe the hydraulic lifters need some pressure and as soon as oil pressure comes up they quiet down. My 2000 Ram would do that if it sat for a few days. My wife's Acura MDX does it if it sits for a week or more. But every morning might be another issue.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I listened to the video again and I see what you're talking about. It's a quick noise for just a couple seconds right? Seems like the hemi-tick does last a little longer than that. Maybe it is something like McBroom is talking about. It almost sounds like your rocker arms are a little dry or maybe the hydraulic lifters need some pressure and as soon as oil pressure comes up they quiet down. My 2000 Ram would do that if it sat for a few days. My wife's Acura MDX does it if it sits for a week or more. But every morning might be another issue.

Hey. No worries. Yeah that’s the sound I am getting. On start up and goes away. Not like the manifold tick thingy lol. I goes days without moving the truck sometimes and notice that. But it’s also done that after it’s been driven.

I switched to synthetic to avoid issues like this ha ha. Maybe the synthetic is too thin ? Should be same weight as conventional right? 5-20?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 makes the exact same noise.

In my case, the only way it happens is if I start the truck, drive it very little (i.e. moving it from one side of driveway to another), turn it off, then go to start it again within 30-60 minutes.

If I do the same thing but let it sit overnight, it wont make the noise. If I drive the truck around the block then park on the other side of the driveway, next startup makes no noise. Ive had the truck sitting for a week or more and startup doesnt make that noise either.

Not sure why it does it, but it seems common for the 5.7L if you dont actually get the load and/or RPMs up during a "drive cycle".

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine hasn't done that with any of the 5/30's that tried, and now that I have 5/30 redline in it it is super quiet. JMO but I think the 20wts are just too thin and drain off leaving no protection on cold starts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine hasn't done that with any of the 5/30's that tried, and now that I have 5/30 redline in it it is super quiet. JMO but I think the 20wts are just too thin and drain off leaving no protection on cold starts.

I believe you’re right, however, they recommend 5-20 for MDS or something

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I'm running 0w40 PUP my MDS runs better then with 5w20

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I may have read every post on this subject in the forum archives. The conclusion "I" came to, is that some of our 5.7 and 6.4 engines experience O/N drain down that results in less than needed start up lubrication. I have also read here and in other publications that the 6.4 oil pressure, at start up, is in the 50's. It drops to the 40's and as low as 30's when the MDS activates. Have not been able to nail down a credible technical source to confirm that. I am am convinced that a 0-40 oil in the "warmer climates" is too thin at start up. Week after next I will drain the PUP 0-40 and try 5-40 Redline. RP or Amsoil filter. Our 6.4 with 5800 miles has the valve train dry start noise for about 1-2 seconds. If we do not start for 2 days, the noise last 4-5 seconds. My hope is, that RL has a different base oil formula than PUP, that adheres better at shut off. Will see.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine will do that when Im close to oil change time, fresh oil and sound is gone for another 5000 miles.

Are you running straight 0-40 PUP?
I am running straight 0w40 with the SRT Filter. My oil pressure at start up is around 58 psi cold. Cruising its around 42 to 45 psi. MDS stays on longer and comes on more often then ever.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks Fitz for the info [emoji12]!!

I will change my values to imperial and post numbers on oil pressure. I’ll try to remember that before I leave for work and keep it on that.

My oil life thingy says 68% and I usually change it at 20 or so. Equates to about 13000 kilometres for me as I’m straight no traffic drive to work doing about 50 mph. So idea conditions really. I tow my boat but it’s a 14 deep wife aluminum and not that heavy.

I’ll check my oil tonight too and report back

Thanks folks

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Thanks Fitz for the info [emoji12]!!

I will change my values to imperial and post numbers on oil pressure. I’ll try to remember that before I leave for work and keep it on that.

My oil life thingy says 68% and I usually change it at 20 or so. Equates to about 13000 kilometres for me as I’m straight no traffic drive to work doing about 50 mph. So idea conditions really. I tow my boat but it’s a 14 deep wife aluminum and not that heavy.

I’ll check my oil tonight too and report back

Thanks folks

Always a good day when we can post something helpful for other members.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They claim the 5/20 is for the MDS and to their credit some 5/30's have more affect on the MDS than others, however the 5/20 is all about gas mileage. I know there's some that are running PUP 5/30, and I have ran PP, Amsoil, M1 EP, and Redline all in the 5/30. Undoubtedly the Redline 5/30 runs the best, has no affect on MDS other than being the smoothest of all, and my engine is supper quiet.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a quick FYI - I havent experienced the 1-2 second "loud" lifter noise on startup (after shutting the truck off quickly then restarting within 30 minutes or so) since I switched to 5W-30 PUP. HOWEVER, I did that during warm weather, so Im not sure if its temperature related or not.

More than a couple people have commented that RL 5W-30 makes MDS engage and disengage smoother. The PUP in my truck made it a bit better than 5-20 PYB, but Im curious to try the unicorn blood in my engine at least once. I just worry it will be like a drug and Ill insist on using it forever!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline 5w30 over 500ppm Moly.

PUP 0w40 over 250ppm moly.

Moly Basics here.

Oil is very thick at start up, even 5w20 has a visc something like 50 depending on the temps. What the industry uses for dry starts is moly. Now, there are other things in redline left behind to protect metal that also can alleviate this. But even me with reldine if I let it sit for 3 weeks like I did the fires I will get the tick. But generally speaking it is very likely 5w30 redline will wipe this away. RP or Amsoil filters pair up well, Fram Ultra close. Read the synthetic oil filter thread my sig.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
this is pretty well spot on.

If I drive the truck from work to home, the next morning I do not hear that noise.

If I start up my truck just for a few minutes (for example to turn it around and back it up in the drive way), it will make the sound the next morning.

So, it appears the hemi doesn't like to just be started and ran for a few minutes. It needs driven, rpm's up and that oil pressure up and circulated.

My 2017 makes the exact same noise.

In my case, the only way it happens is if I start the truck, drive it very little (i.e. moving it from one side of driveway to another), turn it off, then go to start it again within 30-60 minutes.

If I do the same thing but let it sit overnight, it wont make the noise. If I drive the truck around the block then park on the other side of the driveway, next startup makes no noise. Ive had the truck sitting for a week or more and startup doesnt make that noise either.

Not sure why it does it, but it seems common for the 5.7L if you dont actually get the load and/or RPMs up during a "drive cycle".

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is this after the truck has been driven for a while where speed and rpm's have been up

or

is this the way it sounds after you've been on a short trip or just moving the truck around in your yard/driveway and you restarted it later?

Hey folks.

2017 with Hemi.