I know. I know. Third brake light leak. Best fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKSteven34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those of you who performed @Burla 's fix, does the brake light eventually return to a flush position or is it still sticking out due to the thicker weather stripping?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No issues with my rear brake light yet. How long does it take to start leaking?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those of you who performed @Burla 's fix, does the brake light eventually return to a flush position or is it still sticking out due to the thicker weather stripping?

Mine sticks out further than before, but not enough that anyone but me would notice. And I would only notice it if I was standing in the bed looking right at it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No idea. Mine didn't leak and it's a 2015, but I preemptively did this fix, and when I took the 3rd brake light off the seal was hard, so it was a matter of time.

I also did the mod on my friends 2017 (about a year ago), when I pulled his, the seal was still nice and soft.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No idea. Mine didn't leak and it's a 2015, but I preemptively did this fix, and when I took the 3rd brake light off the seal was hard, so it was a matter of time.

I also did the mod on my friends 2017 (about a year ago), when I pulled his, the seal was still nice and soft.

Thanks for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So my truck is in today and they are removing all my carpet and headliner. Cleaning and checking for mould. Replacing carpet if needed and headliner. It’ll be interesting what they say and do. He anticipated they will have it for at least two days.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my truck is in today and they are removing all my carpet and headliner. Cleaning and checking for mould. Replacing carpet if needed and headliner. It’ll be interesting what they say and do. He anticipated they will have it for at least two days.

It is my understanding, their fix is to use silicone to seal it. Once you get it back, I would suggest removing all the crap that they do, and do this proper fix.

PSA to anyone, this fix is cheap enough that it should be done on all Gen 4 trucks. It only takes a few minutes.

Chach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It is my understanding, their fix is to use silicone to seal it. Once you get it back, I would suggest removing all the crap that they do, and do this proper fix.

PSA to anyone, this fix is cheap enough that it should be done on all Gen 4 trucks. It only takes a few minutes.
Just got my truck back from the dealer replacing the headliner. I ordered the recommended stuff, installing this weekend. Thanks for the insight

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my truck back from the dealer replacing the headliner. I ordered the recommended stuff, installing this weekend. Thanks for the insight
I just ordered too. Will be fixing this before it's a problem.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, they didn’t have to strip the carpets out so that’s good. They took headliner and cleaned the stains and sealed the light with silicone which they said said they wouldn’t do as a “fix”.

I asked about when I have to change a light bulb and I got the answer well it’s not that hard to remove LOL.

FML

Anyways, can someone recommend a good aftermarket 3rd light that will withstand the pressure of the screws and new foam? I plan on installing the MD foam but when I tried on a amazon tinted 3rd brake light it completely cracked and broke apart.

I want a tinted 3rd brake light preferably LED and hopefully someone that has put on thicker foam. I knows it’s gonna be hard to find someone that did this but worth a shot.

Are the recons worth the $130? My $60 amazon light sure wasn’t

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, they didn’t have to strip the carpets out so that’s good. They took headliner and cleaned the stains and sealed the light with silicone which they said said they wouldn’t do as a “fix”.

I asked about when I have to change a light bulb and I got the answer well it’s not that hard to remove LOL.

FML

Anyways, can someone recommend a good aftermarket 3rd light that will withstand the pressure of the screws and new foam? I plan on installing the MD foam but when I tried on a amazon tinted 3rd brake light it completely cracked and broke apart.

I want a tinted 3rd brake light preferably LED and hopefully someone that has put on thicker foam. I knows it’s gonna be hard to find someone that did this but worth a shot.

Are the recons worth the $130? My $60 amazon light sure wasn’t

Use whatever 3rd brake light you want, but get longer screws so you dont have to suck it in so far... It will just stick out more, but no one will notice (but you).

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Use whatever 3rd brake light you want, but get longer screws so you dont have to suck it in so far... It will just stick out more, but no one will notice (but you).

So the screws are too short and that’s why it doesn’t pull the light and foam tight? I tried that with a cheap amazon light and it shattered the light.

What size screw are they ?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So the screws are too short and that’s why it doesn’t pull the light and foam tight? I tried that with a cheap amazon light and it shattered the light.

What size screw are they ?

When you do this change, the seal is thicker than stock. So to get the factory screw to fit, you have to push in hard. You could just get longer screws so that you don't have to press in as hard.

With the foam, I'm not sure, I pulled my factory and only put it back on with this rubber seal used for the fix.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Seems to be about 2 years. My 2014 leaked in October of 2016...almost exactly 2 years after I bought it. Dealer fixed everything. Flash forward to now, leaking again. Guess how long the warranty on the parts is good for? 2 years. I'm 2 weeks out from it and the damage being covered.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Revive! Lol.

Well, last night it rained quite a bit and this morning I noticed my headliner is soaked, floors soaked and puddle on my floor mats. What’s great about this is it’s middle of winter and it won’t dry for another few months yet [emoji107]

Dealer had previously fixed this a few months back and they used a sophisticated method of applying gobs of silicone. I guess that method doesn’t work! Who woukda thunk.

Anyways, 4 recalls, third brake light fix number two and and oil change. Yippie. At least they’re giving me a rental [emoji12]

brny67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thread, have to revive. I am doing this very soon.