I need diagnosis!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well...here's where I'm at now. (This is just what the service manager said after a Regional Tech was assigned to my truck....I thought he'd be the one working on it since Chrysler said he'd have my truck a few days....but no....he looked at it today and then left town...leaving the truck to be worked on by the techs at URSE that I have no faith in....)

Anyway.... (These are only the few things the Service Manager mentioned)

1. Transmission pan is leaking. Gotta remove and re-seal.
2. The put pressure 40-ish pounds on the coolant system (cause I smell coolant when I shut off the truck after at working temperature) and in 45 minutes the pressure had dropped to 21 pounds. They have no idea where it's leaking from. Could be head gasket or somewhere else....
3. Hood liner has white residue on it.... Gonna remove the liner and see if washer fluid lines are leaking.
4. Replacing puddle lamps again. ( 2nd time in 11 months.)
5. Put some sort of update on computer to help with drone and possibly transmission issue. (He didn't know much about it)
6. Rear door roller hinges are rusting....said I just gotta deal with that...it happens he said. They oughta be completely hosed by the two year mark (never had this happen on any of my other vehicles. Even the other two Rams.)

There's still many other things. He said the regional tech was gonna email him the rest of the stuff they have to do tonight. From out of town. I still can't believe the tech isn't even gonna work on my truck. After they sent him here cause URSE has not done well up till now, and I contacted Chrysler because of them sucking to begin with.

I'm beside myself....

The funniest part is, I got a rental truck (2500) and before I got back to my office the rear tire was seperating....they came and got the truck to get new tires....couldn't get them today....so they brought me a (1500), and it had the worst smelling interior....and my kids sat in the back seat and the seats were wet and got their clothes all wet/damp (there's were the musty smell was from....called and complained....after the their 2500's tires are done tomorrow there supposed to bring it back to me.....(I CANT CATCH A BREAK). :favorites68:

I'm completely hosed on this deal. Who knows how long I'll have the rental....and I'm sure when I get my truck back...if they take stuff apart, it most definitely won't be put back together correctly. My truck may never be right again. I'll have to fine tooth comb it when I get it back. To see especially if all wires, connectors, and clips are reinstalled.

:wtf2:
Funny, I was just changing the oil on mine today and noticed the transmission pan was seeping in the back too. I also smell coolant every once in a while after shutting my truck off and walking around the front of it, hopefully they can figure that out so I have an idea what to tell them when mine finally makes it to the dealer.

OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's rediculous to have problems like this on so many of our trucks when we pay $40k-$60k for them. Charge me used truck prices if I have to repair my new truck like a used old truck. And the dealers/RAM/Chrysler think we're a hassle when we expect them to fix or replace them. It's different if it's 5 years before the problems start. But when it's within weeks/or even the first year, there's no way they wouldn't be as angry themselves as we are. They need to step up. There's no reason a person should have to accept rebuilt transmissions or rebuilt engines if crap happens within the first year. Unless it's outright user error they should just replace the vehicle. It's like our $60k isn't worth as much as their $60k. Sorry for the rant! Just a little upset that these companies rarely think about the little guy.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I said this in another thread, but it seems crazy to me how one truck can have so many issues, and others be flawless.

I've had my truck for a little over a year now, and it has been almost perfect. My 6.4 has tons of power and I'm getting great fuel mileage. I had an issue with a TPMS sensor so far, and that's about it. Just recently one of my door handles keyless and go unlock sensor was working intermittently (I know, first world problems) and they have ordered me a new one.

I just don't understand how trucks coming off the same line can be so vastly different.

I hope you get your issues resolved soon, so that you can start enjoying your beautiful truck!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I said this in another thread, but it seems crazy to me how one truck can have so many issues, and others be flawless.

I've had my truck for a little over a year now, and it has been almost perfect. My 6.4 has tons of power and I'm getting great fuel mileage. I had an issue with a TPMS sensor so far, and that's about it. Just recently one of my door handles keyless and go unlock sensor was working intermittently (I know, first world problems) and they have ordered me a new one.

I just don't understand how trucks coming off the same line can be so vastly different.

I hope you get your issues resolved soon, so that you can start enjoying your beautiful truck!
It's amazing to me too . My truck has been near perfect for over 30k miles , lucky ones I guess .
I know they are built at multiple assy plants and each place will have different quality control , but wow , some really do have lots of issues ?
Some owners are just more picky than others , but some trucks do seem to have a lot of problems. ....

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I noticed this same stutter yesterday. Basically on an uphill right turn at a rolling stop (so still in 2nd gear). Kinda felt like the traction control wasn't able to sync up to the gearing and the rear kept slipping (totally dry paved roadway). Once I got straight it was fine. Very discouraging though. I'm gonna try to reproduce it today on my way home at the same intersection.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this very same issue since I got my truck, it only has happened to the truck when I make this one specific turn going home, and it only happens 30% of the time. And when it does happen it lasts for like less than a second. It is acceptable to me, more so than taking it into a dealer and have a bunch of guys crawling all over my truck never being able to see what I see or diagnose it with out making the problem threefold. I am a firm believer that after reading this entire post a few times some people I don't care what kind of vehicle you put them in will always find issues with it . I am a painter and think the paintwork on my truck definitely isn't up to par and if I painted it , it would be much nicer. However I'm not taking it back to them and insisting they do something about it and then get on a forum and talk about what a ****** product RAM is cause for real people don't feel like hearing it. Well unless they cant find anything good about their truck either!!!!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had this very same issue since I got my truck, it only has happened to the truck when I make this one specific turn going home, and it only happens 30% of the time. And when it does happen it lasts for like less than a second. It is acceptable to me, more so than taking it into a dealer and have a bunch of guys crawling all over my truck never being able to see what I see or diagnose it with out making the problem threefold. I am a firm believer that after reading this entire post a few times some people I don't care what kind of vehicle you put them in will always find issues with it . I am a painter and think the paintwork on my truck definitely isn't up to par and if I painted it , it would be much nicer. However I'm not taking it back to them and insisting they do something about it and then get on a forum and talk about what a ****** product RAM is cause for real people don't feel like hearing it. Well unless they cant find anything good about their truck either!!!!
If this was 20 years ago and these trucks cast $20,000 some problems might be acceptable. But when my tradesman with a couple options stickered for $41k I shouldn't have to put up with problems. If I screw up my job I am sure held accountable, why should the company making thousands of dollars from selling just one truck not held to the same standards? For now it is just a small issue, but if everyone let's it go what bigger issue will we have to deal with next? Where do we draw the line?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

As a person who has now had both, I agree. It's amazing.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Not sure what you're trying to get at with your post. I appreciate all the info sharing on this forum about the good & bad. I love my truck, but don't like what it did yesterday. I'm also a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I don't like people messing around with it unecessarily. However, if it's broke then damn straight it needs fixed. If you're okay living with any issues you experience and not having them fixed under warranty thats certainly your right. You've done a lot to your truck (looks great by the way), but mine's stock and I drive like Gramma most of the time. I shouldn't be having any issues IMO.

If my truck acts up I certainly expect it to get fixed under warranty. And for a $53K sticker price it shouldn't be having any issues in the first 50K miles anyway, especially completely stock & when I don't drive it like a moron. I also don't want to be towing my relatively lightweight travel trailer with my whole family and break down a few hours from home from an issue that was identified on this forum. I mean if no extra weight is involved and the rear is slipping that ain't a good thing in my less than qualified mechanical opinion.

Last edited:

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok so I tried yesterday to mimic what happened the day prior at the same intersection. I tried the right turn and hard acceleration from a rolling stop, but the transmission dropped into 1st before I gunned it and no slipping sensation.

I'm wondering if the computers and torque management are getting confused at that low rpm in 2nd gear and having a hard time determining whether to drop to 1st causing it to stutter.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A buddy of mine was in my truck when it had that shutting. He builds cars for living. He said no way it's the tranny. He said it has to do with the computer. He added "that's why I hate these new cars, too many computerized ****".

OP
OP
S

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry haven't been online in a while. But the answer was not solved. I went through Fiat/Chrysler and they sent a rep to check out all of my issues. And wouldn't you know it, they said the truck was performing as designed. After trying to get them to fix the issue again and again, they claimed the same answer, performing as designed. Complaining to the BBB did no good as well. The only benefit I received was Chrysler gave me a 7 year 100,000 extended warranty. Which leads me to believe that they know there's an issue, but they can't fix it and they don't want to just replace my truck with a new one. I even gave them the option of replacing it with a used one. Oh well....I guess they'll be fixin the issue on their dime for the next 7 years. Maybe they'll regret their choice after they've put more in warranty work than what they could have just replaced the truck for.

Still a sore subject. Very disappointed in Fiat/Chrysler even though they gave me the warranty. They probably assumed it would be a cheap way to keep me quiet. I'll never buy another Fiat/Chrysler product again. Not with this type of treatment. I didn't spend $50k on a truck to be treated like I don't matter when problems arise. Especially when the issue is of no fault of mine. It's a shame.....

They replaced the coolant bottle, they said that is where coolant was leaking....however I still have the coolant smell at the front of the truck (radiator area) every time I shut the truck off.

They did the body mount bushing replacements....that totally fixed the popping issue I was having.

They did a few other things as well.

Just as an afterthought.....since snow and ice are about over and the sun has been coming around. I did a good washing....and I'm noticing little specs of rust, almost like needle pokes of rust all through my bright silver paint on my passenger side bedside. Who knows what that will eventually become. It's just awesome since my truck just turned 1 year old in March. 17,000 miles and it's a piece of crap. But hey, at least it looks good from a distance.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well your tiny rust spots are from your brakes, semi metallic pads and the rotors, tiny bits of hot metal from braking hit the paint and embed in your paint and then rust, they are a pain to remove but they will come off

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Well your tiny rust spots are from your brakes, semi metallic pads and the rotors, tiny bits of hot metal from braking hit the paint and embed in your paint and then rust, they are a pain to remove but they will come off
This. My wife's white Sierra has these all over it. Every spring I have to take the orbital and compound to it. Takes me about 4 hours to get it all.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not just from your brakes. It's commonly called rail dust. But it's not just from railroads either. If you live in a snow area snow plows, plow blades also add to this.
Clay bar then orbital buff/polish.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is a quick video I got of mine a while ago. I couldn't get it to act up like I wanted to but pay attention to the rpm's, sound of the engine, and the shift handle for the transfer case.
https://youtu.be/-_wX9HcXzNY

Mine does that also... It's wheel hop I figured out, look in your mirror. You should see black marks lightly. (It's like in tire shake, my Tacoma did the same thing. Look up axle wrap)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine does that also... It's wheel hop I figured out, look in your mirror. You should see black marks lightly. (It's like in tire shake, my Tacoma did the same thing. Look up axle wrap)
No it isn't. It isn't really even capable of spinning the tires at those speeds let alone hopping the rear end. It is more like a misfire than anything.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I get mine wheel hoping all the time when I turn into a few roads (I'm 3500/leaf springs) and my transfer case stick gets bouncing, Rpms start going wacky, and when I look in the mirror I see black wheel spin marks like this = = = =, and usually does it in 2nd gear at about 25/30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk