I need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UgaSux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never changed oil in any vehicle and want to know what I need to change my oil in my 2012 big horn hemi 4x4 oil type/ amount/ filter, any info pointers would be appreciated
rutyrynu.jpg
5yvajege.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to use 5w20. Read synthetic oil thread for type, I prefer redline for a lot of reasons but Penzoil ultra and platinum are great choices and even Mobil 1 is good. I don't know why but my truck takes 8 qrts, most take 7. So have 8qrts, it is always good to have an extra. A great choice is to get a Royal purple oil filter, they are not paper like most others. Use a plastic bag once the filter gets loose, and when he filter drops into it hold it up for a minute and let it drain. Always do your filter first, then if there is a problem you can drive somewhere and have them do it. When you put your filter back, you should apply some of the clean oil to the rubber top of the filter, and only hand tighten but make it tight. You need a big drain pan, don't get the 5qrt. Use card board.

Hey bud, that is a nice fuggin truck.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a drain pan that can hold 2 gallons because 7 quarts of oil is going to come out, and a one gallon ziploc bag to spin the filter off into.

Your truck looks high enough to just crawl under it, so no need to lift or use ramps.

Locate the drain plug under the engine on the oil pan. You will need to remove that plug with the drain pan under it to catch the oil. Let it drip for a while until it is as empty as possible, then replace the plug.

Now locate the oil filter on the front passenger side of the engine.

Use your hand, or a filter wrench if necessary and get the filter loose so you can spin it by hand. Then place the ziploc bag over it and continue to remove it. It will be full of oil, and the idea is to have the ziploc bag catch the oil. Make sure the rubber gasket comes off too.

Wet the rubber gasket on a new filter with oil and install.

Refill 7 quarts of oil thru the oil fill on top of the engine. Start and check for leaks.

Do a search on hear for oil and filter recommendations. There are many.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Quigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be ready when that plug comes out. I wasn't expecting my oil to shoot back as far as it did and almost got a face full of used 5W20.

OP
OP
U

UgaSux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey bud, that is a nice fuggin truck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'm moving up to 37's next month

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think it looks perfect as is, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like Amsoil but thats what I like, it quieted down the noisy eco boost engine in my wifes car and the Ram just loves it. Spend the extra 5 bucks or so on a full synthetic filter like recommended and you shouldn't have to worry about oil for quiet some time.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm amazed at 41 you have never changed oil before. Not that it's bad or anything.

Don't tell if you are a ******...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some guys never did a brake job and 95% like me never took out an engine, gotta start somewhere.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as he doesn't take pictures of his quarts of oil and oil filter laying uninstalled in his driveway, I think he's good.

That was funny.

Lhemi made me do it....

Actually, my apology to the op. I'm not a very good comedian...

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

UgaSux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help guys it was pretty easy, seems like they could've found an easier place to put the filter.

OP
OP
U

UgaSux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm amazed at 41 you have never changed oil before. Not that it's bad or anything.

Don't tell if you are a ******...

My father passed when I was very young so I missed out on learning a lot of things a boy should learn, it's always been pretty even in cost just to take it somewhere, but wanted to learn and teach my son now because tomorrow is never promised.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My father passed when I was very young so I missed out on learning a lot of things a boy should learn, it's always been pretty even in cost just to take it somewhere, but wanted to learn and teach my son now because tomorrow is never promised.

Now I really feel like an ass.:025:

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No I get it, I wish I'd learned earlier just never happened till now, I also just recently field dressed my 1st deer

Never done that.I would shoot one but no way I'm gutting one!!