I never planned to do this, but might need to...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So before you read this and leave, this isn't your typical muffler question. I know what sound I want and I know what sounds I will get with different options. But in my searching for answers all I've found are sound threads. Not performance based. I've caught the performance bug and would really love to add as much as possible. I've always been a muffler delete guy because I like the redneck loud exhaust. But after getting a tuner and seeing the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I feel like my deleted muffler is hurting me. I'm not getting the low end power I need to get a strong start. So here are my questions. Which muffler would you recommend to get strong low end power, but also keep the high end power of the deleted muffler (free flowing exhaust)? Will I even see enough gains in going from deleted muffler to muffler?

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
If your still running with cats, the muffler delete shouldn't have much effect. The cats would be more restrictive than almost anything else in your system. I don't think adding a muffler will gain you anything but weight.

I think your next step should be long tube headers, no cats, and a decent cat back exhaust system and have Sean go over some data logging again afterwards.

Top 3 IMHO on the performance side would be Corsa, Stainlessworks, and Solo.

For me, performance comes first and sound is secondary.

The Corsa is proven in other Mopar applications. In my other ride I picked up 8 hp and 12 tq with just the cat back over stock. Then again, I might have seen the same results with a muffler delete set up like you have, but I hate the redneck sound.

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heywood's right. If the rest of your exhaust is still stock, the muffler delete (or any muffler) is not going to change much. The cats, and the y-pipe are both restricting flow quite a bit. If you like the sound, keep it. Unless you change other things the delete isn't a big factor.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I disagree with the 2 gents above.
Your stock catalytic converters are incredibly efficient.

Yes, new headers, especially a long tube design will show large benefits, but replacing the cats will show little gain.
Unless you are willing to run w/o cats, you're not going to see much change between stock and / high flow cats.

It is possible you've lost a touch of low end grunt with the straight pipe, but with a full length exhaust, you should have an acceptable amount of back pressure / no real gains to be had with a muffler.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. We've got a couple sight vendors selling different brands of long tubes, go custom from there back with an X pipe and see. Of course, you'll need the engine to breathe easier too to maximize the benefits!

Last edited:

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not that they are not efficient, but Cats (no matter how good) are going to restrict flow. They have to by nature. The exhaust has to flow through a TON of very small passages. Even with high performance cats, race cats etc, we would see decent HP gains with removal and tuning. (I used to work on/build/sell parts for high performance Subarus). My point here is that cats will be a restriction to flow. And with them there, anything behind them doesn't change a whole lot.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I disagree with the 2 gents above.
Your stock catalytic converters are incredibly efficient.

Yes, new headers, especially a long tube design will show large benefits, but replacing the cats will show little gain.
Unless you are willing to run w/o cats, you're not going to see much change between stock and / high flow cats.

Your not really disagreeing with us per say.

He has no muffler now so the only restrictions left in his exhaust system is the exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, and resonators.

The long tubes will give you more power but will also move your torque curve down a bit as well.

To the OP, shoot Matt @ Moe's a PM about what you've found and ask him what he thinks. He has a lot of experience and dyno time with different set-ups. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've thought about contacting Matt. I've ordered pretty much every mod I have from him. I did send Sean an email to see what he's seen in this department.

I do plan to get long tubes in the future, but one thing about where I love is that cats are required to pass emmissions testing. We have to pass the testing to get our vehicle tags renewed. So I will have to have cats. I just wanted to see if paying $90 for a muffler would give me any gains. Thanks for the help y'all.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heywood's right. If the rest of your exhaust is still stock, the muffler delete (or any muffler) is not going to change much. The cats, and the y-pipe are both restricting flow quite a bit. If you like the sound, keep it. Unless you change other things the delete is a 0 factor

Fixed.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For low end you need gears: 4.10+ with a LSD and/or a torque converter!!

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was planning to wait on gears and go to 4.56 when I get a lift and tires. I didn't want to spend the money now on 4.10s and then spend money again when I add the extra weight. I haven't decided if I'm gonna get a LSD yet or not. I may get one anyways since I'm getting the lift and tires. That way 2 wheels spin while mudding instead of 1. I do want a TQ though. Is that something I should wait to get when I have gears? I don't want to tear up my axle with extra torque and not have low enough gears.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What gears do you have? Is it 4wd?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do the TC now and with 4wd you might get some traction.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it would cost a bunch to do gears. The TC would be your best bet. An Edge 2800-3000 from Moes for 550 would put a smile on your face. Are you running in 2wd or 4wd for you times? 4wd would help with the launch.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you don't have the upgraded transfer case with a 4-Auto setting
(I think the express Ram 4x4's only have 4hi/4lo 2hi options)
and have an open rear diff/3.55's , You should not use 4WD for traction on the street.

So put that torque converter plan on hold until have a limited slip rear diff.

I rely heavily on 4-Auto with my 4x4 Sport
(also have 4x4 with 3.55's and open rear diff behind a 500WHP supercharged Hemi)

AWD.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah, it won't be cheap to go up to 4.56s since I will need a new carrier. I can probably go up to 3.92 or 4.10 and be okay. I run my times in 2wd. I don't feel comfortable running in 4wd in speeds up to 90 mph. I know 4H can, but I just feel weary about it.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are LSDs gear specific? Could I get one for my 3.55s and continue to use it with 4.56s later? It would be pointless to not go ahead and install gears if I'm gonna open the diff for a LSD. But just curious.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it looks like LSD and TC for about 2k. The gears would add a lot more. I dont even know what you need for the front end.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
BTW, You don't go through all the expense of a gear swap without replacing the rear open carrier with a locker or limited slip of some sort.

..and for a 2012
there's a crap load of extra cost in re-gearing the rear and front differentials.
You need to swap your front diff to a 2010 model I believe.

Ask Ethan (Grey Chevy) and/or Josh (fastehemiram12)

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/detroit_tru_trac_2011_zf-46567/

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I new to research front gear swaps for this as it has an IFS system.