Left rear speaker was working fine but quit as I may have touched the two wires together while music was playing. Is this fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeleb501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m installing a subwoofer and was connecting the high input to my amp from my left rear speaker. I had music playing while I was making test. I think the speaker wires accidentally touched and I have no more power coming from stereo system. Speaker works as I tested it from another source. Did I blow up something in my original sound system? Is this fixable??

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There could be multiple fuses. You said you were hooking up a high level input to an amp. That amp you were putting the input on, does it only drive the sub or does it drive other speakers? There is also a fuse in the under dash fuse box for the radio. I believe there is also one in the engine compartment fuse box. If you have an aftermarket amp there is probably an inline fuse up near the battery terminal for the aftermarket amp power wire. There is also a fuse on the factory head unit on some versions of radios. You don’t specify if your original sound system is OEM factory or aftermarket. I’m assuming you mean it’s the original factory radio but some folks that buy used vehicles will refer to the radio that came in the vehicle as the original radio when in fact it was replaced by the previous owner. Can you tell me if the radio that is in the truck illuminates and displays any info?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see in your profile that you have a 2019. Is it a classic or the new 5th gen? Are any speakers presently disconnected? The newer radios must see resistance from the speaker to power the amplifier output.

OP
OP
M

Mikeleb501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It’s original radio. I did a quick research and looks like I blew that part of the amplifier in the original radio.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s original radio. I did a quick research and looks like I blew that part of the amplifier in the original radio.
Probably not. Your factory radio has several protections. Does it illuminate? Meaning does it display anything when the truck is on?

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Your radio is more than likely fine. As mentioned, all the newer radios required to see resistance on a particular speaker channel or else the radio will shut down that channel. Same thing goes for any short or anything on each channel. Your radio will not send any signal to the speaker. If it sees a short which is exactly what you did on the channel. You will get no sound until The radio has been shut down and restarted. I have seen some of them actually require you to disconnect the battery under the hood and either leave it for a few hours or get in and press your brake pedal dissipate any residual power before reconnecting the battery and starting your radio back up.

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
Hopefully anyone reading this will learn from the OP's situation. DO NOT connect speaker wires, power cables or even ground cables to an amplifier while running your stereo. Simply disconnect your neg terminal from the battery before installing audio products.

The risk of amp damage, stereo damage and potentially a fire increases dramatically when failing to disconnect power from the system.

I have done this myself (stupidity because I was in hurry) and ruined a $700 amp. I'm sure plenty of folks have done it without issues but, why risk it.