I never planned to do this, but might need to...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I new to research front gear swaps for this as it has an IFS system.

IFS has nothing to do with it.

in 2011 Ram switched to ZF differentials/axles from the standard 8" Chrysler (front) and 9.25" Corperate (rear) they have been using for the last dozen years.

and no one in the aftermarket was making gear sets for the new diffs.

The rear carrier has to be machined to accept older gear sets, if you want 4.56's
and the entire front end needs to be swapped on a 2012 4x4 to a 2010 model front axle assembly

For a 2WD Ram , you could get a 2012 ZF 4.10 rear (part # from an R/T)
...but there still is no matching Mopar 4.10 gear set available for your front diff on 4x4's

read this link http://www.ramforum.com/f44/detroit_tru_trac_2011_zf-46567/

Your only other option for direct swap over is to use 2012 and up Mopar 3.92 gears and LSD.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've thought about contacting Matt. I've ordered pretty much every mod I have from him. I did send Sean an email to see what he's seen in this department.

I do plan to get long tubes in the future, but one thing about where I love is that cats are required to pass emmissions testing. We have to pass the testing to get our vehicle tags renewed. So I will have to have cats. I just wanted to see if paying $90 for a muffler would give me any gains. Thanks for the help y'all.

What kind of emissions tests do you guys have to run? Sniffer, visual, electronic or combination ?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the deal with the rear diff. You have a ZF diff. You can go up to 3.92 or 4.10. If you want to go higher on a ZF diff your would have to have new holes drilled to accept after market 4.56 gear. Or you could get an aftermarket diff and gears but then need to get a new axle on one side. The ZF carrier will accept 3.55, 3.92 or 4.10 gears.

I see you found the thread.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yup thats what we call a sniffer lol
Also called a 5 gas, this measures the amount of hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides, carbon dioxide and monoxide and last but not least oxygen!
So not much cheating to be done.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yup thats what we call a sniffer lol
Also called a 5 gas, this measures the amount of hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides, carbon dioxide and monoxide and last but not least oxygen!
So not much cheating to be done.

So the newer vehicles use the OBDII sensors to check emissions. I have a question about it. Since I have the Diablo Trinity and a custom tune installed, will having the emissions tested screw up the tune?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You wanna definitely return it to stock before testing. Plus, I am sure HF tune changes the sniffer readings, and may or may not pass emissions.
This is why most tuners are illegal in California. Bullydog GT, DS all models are illegal in Cali.

Last edited: