I think I have figured out watch is causing the blue smoke on start up for both 6.4 & 5.7 hemi's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys!
I have been paying attention to the times when this happens. If you let one of these trucks sit in the same spot and don't drive it but just start it and let it run then shut it off and restart it. It will produce the blue smoke.
If you drive the vehicle and from work to home and get out and park it. The next morning no blue smoke! But if you start the truck (that has sat in the same spot and not been moved for 2 or three times it will produce this blue smoke!) Think about it if it was the valve stem seals it would do it all time no matter what!
I think that this is the result of the PVC valve on these vehicles! If you have ever watched them take them off the intake. You can see oil running out of the intake runners on these trucks! Not all intake runners but the ones around where the PVC line goes into the intake! Now when you drive your truck it keeps that oil sucked out of the intake and burns it while you drive! It is not enough that you would notice while driving. So you don't see it. Don't forget while your motor is warming up in the morning it is producing water vapor and oil both so this would make it easier for the oil to run into the head and be burnt up! I can't help if they say they have fixed the problem of oil soaking the intake. This is not true!
Now all this I have said above is true unless you have a problem with rings causing excessive oil consumption or valve stems seals causing excessive oil consumption!
I'm talking about an engine that don't use a lot of oil! I have done a lot of studying about this!
These trucks do this when left sitting in the same spot because the oil accumulates in the intake manifold and runs down into the head and this makes it smoke! If you drive it all the oil is sucked out and it will not do this!

The Ram 6.4 hemi needs a catch can for sure!

Thats why mine doesnt idle for 20 min b4 i go anywhere...On a cold stat she gets to idle till rpms drop then go but gentle..Even if i go to the store for anything,90% of the time i go for a 10 min drive then store n home..Saves life on the oil and engine..

Last edited:

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my '18 PW is the first new vehicle I've had to show smoke or burn an appreciable amount of oil. I've owned several 5.7 HEMIs a 6.1, car 6.4, all the 6's except the 3.5.. In an '08 Daytona I figured out the SOPUS varieties burned off faster as does the PUP in my PW. Switched to M-1 in the PW on 2nd change and does not burn off as fast but occasionally can see blue smoke on start. M-1 in the car 6.4 stays put. Never saw a need for a catch can in any I have owned. On another related topic, I have used MOPAR filters for many years with NO problems. The PW builds oil pressure immediately after sitting several days with no noise...