i wanna loose the smog baggage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Hey guys, I'm a new Ram owner now. Its an 1987 red d150,with only 84k miles. I'm the third owner. Its all original, everything on her right down to her stock stereo .
My ish is the power robbing smog weights, that I don't need. I'm in a not so strick. State so no legalitys about that.
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO ELIMINATE THE SMOG EQUIPMENT. AND RETAIN A 2 BARREL CARB AND REGAIN HORSE POWER.???

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

After doing a little digging, I found this info:

"If you're wanting to remove the smog pump, just take the belt off. It is possible to gain 2-3 horsepower with the pump belt off, which would be hard to feel in the seat of the pants.

Just pull the pump and related hoses, etc. You'll have to block off the holes in the exh. manifolds where the smog piping bolts to them.
Duel exhaust would give a better benefit for seat of pants acceleration and gas mileage.

However, if you install an msd ignition, msd coil, msd 8.5 plug wires with new plugs, the truck will have much better response and run fine without the air pump. You won't gain much more power without other upgrades."

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hey guys, I'm a new Ram owner now. Its an 1987 red d150,with only 84k miles. I'm the third owner. Its all original, everything on her right down to her stock stereo .
My ish is the power robbing smog weights, that I don't need. I'm in a not so strick. State so no legalitys about that.
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO ELIMINATE THE SMOG EQUIPMENT. AND RETAIN A 2 BARREL CARB AND REGAIN HORSE POWER.???

I'm in the same boat with an 86 D250 5.9 gas with a 4bbl Rochester. It's been upped by Calverts Precision Engines out of Denton, TX. Only a moderate cam profile and bored over
.020 and I'm going to run the original carb, intake and headers for now. It will be a workhorse and fun ride but I'm in dire need for elimination of the smog crap. No need for it in this part of TX. How to do it? I sure hope this bumps up. Any folks out there got suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963