IBS reset for battery change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I just replaced the battery on
my 2019 1500 Classic (5 years old, been drained dead a few times due to trailer wiring issues, can’t seem to hold a charge , etc) Just recently read stuff about having to reset the IBS sensor when you do this. WTF?! What is this and how do you do it? My Uconnect has been acting wonky but then again it often acts wonky.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A reset or battery registration in the IBS isn't necessary on RAM vehicles. Other nameplates have requirements for IBS resetting and IBS battery registration. The RAM charging system is capable of maintaining proper charge and charging rates of lead acid and AGM batteries. RAM uses the IBS to detect a low-charged battery thus allowing the BCM to conduct load management by shutting down non-essential electric services (heated seats) in order to keep vital electrical systems running (ignition).

There is a detailed discussion of the IBS and load shunning in the owner's manual.

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2019 1500 Classic (5 years old, been drained dead a few times due to trailer wiring issues, can’t seem to hold a charge , etc) Just recently read stuff about having to reset the IBS sensor when you do this. WTF?! What is this and how do you do it? My Uconnect has been acting wonky but then again it often acts wonky.

Where did you read the stuff?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I will post this from what I was told by the Lead Mechanic at dealership ref IBS reset. I did a lot of reading and some brands require a specific tool to reset them, some they do through OBD like Mercedes. This is what the LEAD MECHANIC at dealership told me: And FTR, cleared up my issues. NOW, do not beat up DIS Boird, what I wrote is almost verbatim what I was told. NE way, I AM NOT a MECHANIC, do at your Own Risk.

1697568734257.png

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Too many to list. Do a search for IBS and there are a bunch of posts. Some say you have to reset the IBS and others say you don’t ‍♀️.
I would think if the IBS needed special attention when a battery is replaced, it would have been discussed in the owner's manual and the owner's manual doesn't mention it.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the service manual:
U147B-IMPLAUSIBLE BATTERY TEMPERATURE RECEIVED FROM IBS
For a complete wiring diagram, refer to appropriate SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS article .
WHEN MONITORED
The Body Control Module (BCM) sends configuration information (size and type of battery) to the
Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) at every key cycle. The IBS learning process requires approximately 2
to 5 vehicle starts and 8 to 12 hours of key-OFF, non running time, and will repeat every time battery
power is removed and restored. IBS learning will be achieved in approximately 2 to 4 days of normal
vehicle use and operation.
SET CONDITION
If the installed battery is different than the BCM supplied configuration data, the IBS will ignore the
configuration data and report data based on the installed battery. No faults will be set, but a mismatch
will be displayed on the scan tool.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No faults will be set, but a mismatch will be displayed on the scan tool.
Interesting. I fail to understand how the system would know if, for example, an H8 battery was used as a replacement unless the IBS does more than just monitor and report the amount of power received and sent. Maybe it also functions as a battery analyzer.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. I fail to understand how the system would know if, for example, an H8 battery was used as a replacement unless the IBS does more than just monitor and report the amount of power received and sent. Maybe it also functions as a battery analyzer.
Don't have an answer. My post was a direct quote from the service manual.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The purpose of a "Battery Monitor" on modern cars is to report capacitance in percent to the ECM. The Alternators are controlled by the ECM's these days in order to preserve energy and to aid in extending the life of the alternator by reducing excessive heat.
When the old battery dies, the ECM "sees" the last capacitance monitored (usually near zero, most often somewhere about 30% or so) When the new battery at, say 98% capacitance is installed, the ECM is no longer synchronized (on a monitored system), thus, the ECM commands too high of a charge rate from the alternator due to it's memory of the charge state of the old battery. According to my service information, you are required to connect a scanner and check for and clear battery disconnect codes. Apparently, battery capacitance compensation is automatic on your truck! Cheers!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just looked up my BCM configuration file and found this under "2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat:" They are all programmable. Just tried it alfaOBD and they do change..

Battery:
IBS Activate MWU: No
Battery Type: Battery ID 4
IBS Quiescence Current Limit (‐250‐0 mA): ‐250.000 mA
IBS Minimum Voltage Limit (0‐25.4 V): 5.000 V
IBS Minimal Charge Limit (0‐125 Ah): 10.000 Ah
IBS Standby Time (0‐7620): 7620.000 sec
IBS Minimum Charge Limit (0‐2500mA): 600.000 mA

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A customer of mine installed his own new battery in his Wife's Ford Escape. In order to do this, he had to remove both wiper arm assemblies and remove the cowl cover. Afterwards, he called me and said his wiper arms were running askew like 2 drunk sailors; the passenger one would run off the outer edge of the windshield, and sometimes they collided. Inasmuch as the wiper arms each have their own motor, they must be calibrated. Moreover, the battery had to be registered to the vehicle's ECM.

After he brought it over, I had him all fixed up in short order, thanks to my professional level scanner with bi-directional controls!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
On my 2018 I didn't have to do anything. Dead factory lead acid and dropped in a larger than stock AGM. Truck has been fine for 3 years or so. I could see the system being able to sense battery size easily as it would see draw on the battery during starting and how fast/how many amps it takes to recharge and the length of time it takes. A larger healthy battery takes less of a hit on start as it has a larger pool of capacity to pull from (lower voltage drop), charge time could increase or decrease as well.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A reset or battery registration in the IBS isn't necessary on RAM vehicles. Other nameplates have requirements for IBS resetting and IBS battery registration. The RAM charging system is capable of maintaining proper charge and charging rates of lead acid and AGM batteries. RAM uses the IBS to detect a low-charged battery thus allowing the BCM to conduct load management by shutting down non-essential electric services (heated seats) in order to keep vital electrical systems running (ignition).

There is a detailed discussion of the IBS and load shunning in the owner's manual.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had to do some serious battery rewiring on my truck,when i relocated the battery and went with a big ole Group 34 AGM battery,to make the truck NHRA legal.To get the truck to shut down via the bumper mounted kill switch,i had to kill power to the fuse box under the hood,and also run heavy duty battery feeds up to the front,i also added more grounds to the truck then Carter has pills,and i've never had any issues with the truck or the battery.One thing i did discover,is upping the grounds seemed to make the headlights brighter and the heater fan to work better,plus it also fixed the issues i was having with the tailgates remote lock not working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN4090.JPG
    DSCN4090.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN4147.JPG
    DSCN4147.JPG