I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielTee1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Rav3Ncroft

Where did you get the shifter Rotory Knob from? I love it. Do they have other selections?

I am new to the rotary knob, I like it, one less thing to obstruct my vision and reduce cluter. I am still able to do all the shifting from the steering wheel from my Limited, but if you feel that you want a column shifter, you could have bought the 2500 / 3500 series as they come with it, well at least the 2021 models did, not sure of the 2022 models.

You could have to a F&#D F150, and pay for the shifter to hide in a box. Making things more complicated. Bells and whistles and eye candy for something that could have been achieved by using a buttons, or switches. Hate to see what happens when the shifter fails in the box.

Ram gives you the ability to overide it should it fail.

RAM KISS mentality. Turn a switch, or push a button like a Honda. Most every vehicles have electronic transmissons. I don't need worrying about shfter linkages. Though Electroncis do have their own issues.

Just my preferance, as with everything in life. It's a choice.

A Rhodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I get it everyone has preferences in what they like in their trucks/vehicles, but still don't get the hate that the rotary shifter gets. Like others have said it is out of the way and gives you more space versus a console shifter in the early 4th gens. Not a huge space saver versus the column shifter but the rotary dial is pretty easy to use nonetheless. Those mentioning they might accidentally put the truck in park adjusting volume or blower speed, that's a stretch the knob is quite a bit bigger and it's obvious what it is. If you can't figure out how to work the shifter just park the truck. It always make me laugh seeing grown men get upset at how the rotary dial isn't manly, it's still a truck nonetheless. But yeah these millennial trucks that are constantly getting more efficient and powerful, we should just go back to a 3 on the tree and rev the dog **** out of our trucks to do anything with them.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 is the rotary dial, my 98.5 is on the column, the 15 Subaru is in the console, the work truck is a 5 speed and the two work vans have the shifter built into the dash.
I can't count the amount of times I had to stop and think how to shift the vehicle I was currently driving! Don't get me started on windshield wiper activation!!! :oops:

-LjH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with you !
The "new technology" is pitiful. More troubling is the service people can't even preform simple tasks. Unless the computer can fix it they are lost.
Of course I'm still mad about power windows, but that's just me..

wlbjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel. For some stupid reason, Ram decided to install a stupid electronic gear shift knob in-place of the column shift lever, and a push-to-start button instead of keys. I decided to give it a try, but was so disappointed with the performance that I traded in my Ram for a Chevy. I was so excited to hear the 2022 Ram was gonna provide the option of a G/T package that would eliminate that stupid millennial gear shift knob. Unfortunately, they are staying with the push-to-start button, and supposedly they will be going to a push button parking brake as well.

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake?
So you think automobiles should stick with 100 year old technology? Really? Hand cranks instead of starters? Manual transmissions only? Points instead of electronic ignition? I'm 64 years old and think the newer tech such as shift by wire and push button start are a huge improvement. I don't long for the days of having to pull over, pop the distributor cap and file my points with a matchbook to get where I'm going...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I do think in the owners manual there’s a section on how to start the truck without the key flob due to a dead flob battery etc.
Use the key fob to push the start button in, there is an RFID chip in the fob that the WIN module can read and allow the truck to start.
I hate the electronic gear shift knob. I have to be careful to make sure I'm not throwing the truck into park when attempting to turn the blower motor down.
The transmission won't shift gears if it's unsafe to do so. You can put the gear selector in park/reverse while traveling down the freeway, the worst that happens is the dash will tell you to shift back to drive. If you don't the transmission will go into neutral.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel. For some stupid reason, Ram decided to install a stupid electronic gear shift knob in-place of the column shift lever, and a push-to-start button instead of keys. I decided to give it a try, but was so disappointed with the performance that I traded in my Ram for a Chevy. I was so excited to hear the 2022 Ram was gonna provide the option of a G/T package that would eliminate that stupid millennial gear shift knob. Unfortunately, they are staying with the push-to-start button, and supposedly they will be going to a push button parking brake as well.

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake?
Well feel lucky that ram has only been in use since 1980. Some of us still have old junker dodge trucks out near the barn. And dodge has used a non wire operated brake many times before ram was born. It barely worked tho, and was only found in the motorhome chassis. It was just as bad as the gm P30 chassis non wire parking brake. Both used hydraulic pressure off the power steering pump to disengage the brake itself. No pressure and you were not going anywhere. Imagine the power steering belt breaking while driving your RV on the hwy. Huge drum brake attached to the transmission. A few had
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel.
You would have liked a real dodge power wagon, but it wasn't a ram. In 81 in became a power ram. All the way to 93. A real dodge power wagon could walk circles around the current variety.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no retrofit for electronics without custom work and pricey...
My biggest concern when purchasing mine was that I'd be driving down the road and some Taylor Swift song would come on radio and I'd all of sudden be parked in middle of hwy....

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
So you think automobiles should stick with 100 year old technology? Really? Hand cranks instead of starters? Manual transmissions only? Points instead of electronic ignition? I'm 64 years old and think the newer tech such as shift by wire and push button start are a huge improvement. I don't long for the days of having to pull over, pop the distributor cap and file my points with a matchbook to get where I'm going...
So did ya miss the push button shifter on dodge cars over 50 years ago? I almost bought a new dodge but Packard was closing and bought a clipper in 56. But years later my dodge dart gt convertible had a push button shifter. Worked very well too. Dodge had push button shifters starting in 56.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
So did ya miss the push button shifter on dodge cars over 50 years ago? I almost bought a new dodge but Packard was closing and bought a clipper in 56. But years later my dodge dart gt convertible had a push button shifter. Worked very well too. Dodge had push button shifters starting in 56.

Have to add, dodge and chevy motorhome chassis had autopark brake system where there was a huge drum brake on the back of the tranny. Now those darn things would fail going down the hwy and engage the emergency brake and stop ya in the middle of the road.

Jevinrude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I’m amazed how easy it is to full the public, that electric knob has been traded out for a giant switch there is no mechanical linkage it’s all electric switching transmission. Don’t be thick about it it’s just amazing not trying to be a troll or anything but stating the clear obvious ..

Small rotary switch big throw switch….

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
I traded in a 2014 Silverado LTZ for a 2021 Ram Longhorn Limited in Dec 2020... has the rotary gear selector knob and push button start. It took me no time to adapt to the rotary shift and push button start. It may have been so quick because my wife drives a 2013 Lexus with a push start, and we had a 2009 Rav4 with push button start. Both of those vehicles did have the shifter on the console... no knob. I actually love the push button start because I don't have to have keys out to start the vehicle and then listen to them jingle while hanging in the truck. Could never understand why GM trucks seemed to be years behind the competition in this area.

motorbreath

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Guy wants to complain about dial shifter and push button start but is totally fine with pushing a button for 4x4. Ahyuck hyuck stoopid millennials!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
PXL_20201223_232735718.jpg
I'm not a millennial either but I don't hate any of the shifters. I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the column shifter, 2014 Durango with a center console rotary shift button and a 2012 Ram 1500 with a center console shifter. My favorite is the center console shifter because of looks. I enjoy driving it and having my arm resting on the center console and using my finger to push it sideways to shift up or down. I don't have a problem getting use to any of the 3 shifters in a matter of minutes which ever one I'm driving. Don't understand why any of them is an issue except buying any of them that bothers you that bad. That, I don't understand! Be happy with what you have and let others drive what they have! I'll have to say that key fob you see in the center of the dash..... I hate that gigantic thing, would much rather have a push button or even an "Old school" key. Yes I'm Old school and would prefer a manual over them all if given a choice. Much more fun to drive in "my" opinion!

Last edited:

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
It is all in the positioning of the drive by wire LEVER
The Rotary knob is for people who don't mind that they have to keep taking their eyes off the road to shift up/down reverse Park

The lever was right there, my eyes did not have to look away from the windshield. I just barely moved my right arm & the palm of my hand just naturally fell onto the Lever.
The design was perfect for my style of driving
After 10k miles, I switch gears by touch. Doing a 3 point turn, I don't look at the knob. The first week I think I did tried to shifty with the volume knob...

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake

I have had my Long Horn for over 2 years now. Love the push button start. Still cannot get used to the rotary gear shifter. To damn many knobs close together. I keep grabbing the wrong ones. I am 62 now and cannot get rid of all those years of muscle memory!!

jarhead vf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Switched from a F150 to Ram after 25yrs. Wasn't sure about the *** shifter but now like it. The push start not to thrilled with. Could lock keys in F150 and go hunting and use key pad to get in now have to take keys everywhere. Plus the cost of programing extra fobs

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All this stuff is still semantics over which switch style is favored for a completely electronic system.

What was truly amazing back in the day was the 3-on-the-tree steering column stalk shift lever. Could they have possibly made anything more complex? While it was a work of art, the challenge for engineers is to make the complicated simpler - not the other way around.

Ram was my first push button start vehicle. After 3 years I now see how it is simpler for someone without 40+ years of key rotational starting burned into their noggin.

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I took me a couple months of getting used to, but since everything is automatic transmission these days, it doesn’t seem to matter. I just love how much space I gained by it. Definitely not a reason to buy a Chev (or Ford)!