Immobilizer problem....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys
I'm Michele, i'm a new member and i write from Italy, so i'm sorry for my bad english
I need help for my baby, a 2003 dodge ram 1500, that have a problem with the immobilizer, i think
Sometimes, when turn on the engine, after a few second it turn off and the red led between the gauges
I have a video on YouTube, can i link it here?
Thanks for your help

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A screenshot of the fault would suffice. Is it the red lightning bolt?

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a video
I transfer it from phone and can post it
Thanks

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes. Do you have a code reader? See what codes are on the ecm. That's a really low mileage truck. First thing is to identify the source of the problem. I would check the battery terminals and ecm connector for no corrosion and good contact.

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my town, is very difficoult to make a simple ecm read
No one have the instrument for this job
So, there is a cheap code reader on ebay or similar?
The battery terminal is ok
Sorry, the ecm is the pcm?

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another detail
When i have this problem if i turn the steering in the moment i turn on the engine the problem disappear
So, i dont understand
I think, there is a contact on the rear of steering wheel?

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I make a video and i put on YouTube
This is the link

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today, i saw another problem
When turn on the engine, the head light switch on for a few seconds
I don't understand

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do you have another key? Could be a bad chip in the key not communicating with the ecm.

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really ....
So I can't do anything myself?

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have two keys and with both make same problem

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since the motor shuts off so fast upon starting it, I can’t tell if your check engine light is staying on purposely to indicate a fault, or if the motor is just shutting off too quick before the computer has a chance to get done with the initial sequence of the check engine light. What I mean by that is, if you’ve noticed every time you start your truck, the check engine light stays on for a little bit after you start it and if everything checks out, it’ll go out or it’ll stay on if there’s a fault so, if there’s no one around with a code reader to retrieve stored codes if there are any, you can do what they call the “key dance” on those trucks to check for codes that will read out where I have the green circle in the bottom pic. If there aren’t any codes, you’ll see a series of dashes in that display along with the word “done” but if there are stored codes, it’ll be a 4-digit number that begins with a “P”. 37e8bb791935006f92dcb218728e6c89.jpg

Starting with the key in the ignition, turn the key to the on(but not start) position, then back to the completely off position(the one where the cylinder will let you take the key out). Do this two or three more times fairly fast ending with the on but not start and if you did it right, and if there are codes, they will display in the screen below your PNRD12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok
Thanks
I do it and then I tell to you the codes
Another thing that I look when turn on the engine is the headlight turn on and the display of odometer come out the code bussoff for a few seconds

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it “buss off” or “no buss”? I did some googling and saw that when other people had that no buss message in their display that it meant your dash has lost communication to your truck’s PCM(computer).

You might check that fuse for that in your under-hood fuse box- I can’t remember which one it is. If that fuse is fine, or if all your other fuses are good, you could have a bad computer. Also check your battery cables for breakage and corrosion. Also check the battery terminals-tight, clean...

I’m not sure where the computer is in them trucks but it could be a bad connection to it/from it. There could be corrosion or water intrusion in the connections.

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mmhhh...
It is possible
It make this problem more time when rain or are bad weather
I check the battery connection and the pcm junction
Thanks very much for help

OP
OP
mimble

mimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The right message is no buss
But today for example, it do it one time and then all are ok
So if the pcm are bad why do this?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The right message is no buss
But today for example, it do it one time and then all are ok
So if the pcm are bad why do this?

I don’t know if your PCM is bad, I’m just saying that from what I Googled, if you’re seeing a “no buss” message, that it supposedly means your dash, or in other words your instrument panel cluster has lost communication with your truck’s computer. That could be either in bad wiring somewhere, or a bad connection somewhere either from your pcm or from your cluster, or you could have a bad computer. Also I read that the connection harnesses at the computer itself were supposedly prone to corrosion inside the connectors.

I would start at the computer and check connections. Make sure you unhook both battery cables first, and cycle your ignition on and off, and turn your headlight switch on and off after you unhook the battery to make sure you depleted all residual power before you go messin with those computer connectors because if you didn’t have a bad pcm before, you might then. And once you let the magic smoke out, it’s toast.

Last edited: