In case you are looking for a Throttle Body spacer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I do like to get the most out of my Hemi. So I ordered this; AFE Silver Bullet Throttle Body Spacer . Naturally I was thrilled when it arrived quickly and it looks great, but I noticed it looked smaller than my throttle body opening. So I took it to a machinist friend of mine and it measured 77mm at it's widest point. So that's no good because the stock tb is almost 79mm which means this thing is nothing more than a air restrictor. So my game plan is he is going to punch it and my tb out to 87mm to actually enhance my airflow. Be aware if you buy this or any other one if it is less than 79mm it is an air restrictor NOT something to enhance airflow. BUT it does look good LOL

Jacker55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I just found this thread, and youre correct. I recently bought the same TB and measure it out to 77mm as well... Did you ever end up porting that tb spacer to 87mm? if so did you end up keeping all the ridges and swirls and etc? And would your friend be able to do one for me as well? i dont mind paying if its reasonable LOL

OP
OP
jagman_xjs

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I just found this thread, and youre correct. I recently bought the same TB and measure it out to 77mm as well... Did you ever end up porting that tb spacer to 87mm? if so did you end up keeping all the ridges and swirls and etc? And would your friend be able to do one for me as well? i dont mind paying if its reasonable LOL

He has done done mine yet, so if you are not to far away PM me and he can do them both. I told him on mine just punch it out I do not care about the swirls or the "spikes" as they are restrictions.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So ,you are actually serious ? The only way this is doing anything performance wise is making your wallet lighter . Spacers might help with a carburetor, but do nothing for fuel injection . Snake oil nowadays .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Throttle Body Spacers are only good for holding down papers, so they won't blow away
Drag Racers use them on throttle body engines for one thing, they drill a hole in the side of the spacer & tap threads into it, so they can plumb Nitrous into it

Are throttle body spacers a gimmick?

An additional test was run after removing the spacer, resulting in a return of the lost horsepower. Proving that some spacers can actually rob power from an engine. After seeing the results, it was clear that throttle body spacers were simply gimmicks and provided no real performance value.

Carbureted and throttle-body-injected engines can indeed benefit from a bit of extra fuel atomization, since fuel tends to drop out of suspension in the plenum and go into the cylinders in droplets instead of in a fine mist.
But modern multi-point injected engines don't inject fuel until the end of the intake runner -- far away from the tornado in your plenum. In this case, wasting kinetic energy by needlessly swirling air in your plenum is likely to result in a loss of power, fuel economy and torque.

Last edited:

Jacker55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Honestly i just want the whistle noise LOL. Im assuming if i punch it straight thru without the swirls and etc ill prob wont get the whistle when speeding up huh

Jacker55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Throttle Body Spacers are only good for holding down papers, so they won't blow away
Drag Racers use them on throttle body engines for one thing, they drill a hole in the side of the spacer & tap threads into it, so they can plumb Nitrous into it

Are throttle body spacers a gimmick?

An additional test was run after removing the spacer, resulting in a return of the lost horsepower. Proving that some spacers can actually rob power from an engine. After seeing the results, it was clear that throttle body spacers were simply gimmicks and provided no real performance value.

Carbureted and throttle-body-injected engines can indeed benefit from a bit of extra fuel atomization, since fuel tends to drop out of suspension in the plenum and go into the cylinders in droplets instead of in a fine mist.
But modern multi-point injected engines don't inject fuel until the end of the intake runner -- far away from the tornado in your plenum. In this case, wasting kinetic energy by needlessly swirling air in your plenum is likely to result in a loss of power, fuel economy and torque.
thats interesting i didnt know that it would actually cause a loss in power