Incessant problems with 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Terrible Ownership Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Crew Cab - Flame Red
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I got my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie in December. Right from the day I took delivery, I've had issues. 30 minutes after leaving the dealer, I realized the passive unlock on the passenger front door didn't work. Took it back to the dealer a few days later, which was over and hour away and they discovered it was missing a magnet from the factory in the door handle....they ordered the part and scheduled me with a dealer close to my home as a favor. Turned out, they ordered the incorrect part after diagnosing it correctly, so after sitting at the next appointment for 2 hours, I was told I'd have to come back. 3rd time, right part...that problem was fixed after a month with it.

From day 1, my brakes squealed under medium pressure and still haven't stopped. They also groan like Chewbakka when backing up after my truck sits over night. These issues still haven't been fixed and the dealer told me they ordered a TSB parts kit that won't be in until some time in July. My wife is furious because it's really annoying to go anywhere in my truck with screeching brakes, and it's an expensive vehicle that nobody wants to ride in.

I've had a vibration in the floor and steering wheel since the first day. Wheels have been balanced, and the last time my truck was in they didn't even look at it...they said they'd get to it when the brake parts come in. I have to drive it for another month this way!

The hood fluttered up and down at highway speeds. Finally fixed from a TSB.

My drivers side ventilated seat icon showed as off at the middle setting on the UConnect screen. Took two days of software updates and fiddling for the dealer to figure it out after filing a STAR case.

I have a high pitched whine intermittently on the highway that sounds like I'm driving over a bridge grate. Finally ascertained that it seems to be coming out of the speakers??? It switches rapidly from left to right and only between 70 and 80mph. Again, super annoying and impossible for me to show the dealer.

Passenger side front and rear doors were not flush with each other or the body from day 1. Was told by Dealer 1 that I'd have to live with it. Dealer 2 says "we can fix that" and adjusts it. I pick it up and the front passenger side door barely opens and you have to really slam it to shut it. When my wife tried to get out of the car, she couldn't open the door until I got out and opened the rear door first. Dealer says bring it back at lunch one day. Service manager adjusts it himself and doesn't even write up an RO. Two days later....back to the same thing....front and rear doors are binding. At this point it's been fixed twice. Last time it was in, they promised me it would be fixed, and it was for about a week. Now it's back to sticking again which means the front passenger door is loose. This sure seems like a safety issue.

Today, I go out to my truck and put my 2 year old son in his car seat. I start backing out of the driveway and my son starts yelling to me. There's water pouring in over him out of the headliner!! It rained overnight, but not even a bad storm. Upon looking at it closer, I see that the rear window frame has a crack in it!! Now my wife will not put my kids in my truck at all, and we're expecting our third by the end of next week. I cannot have a newborn baby in the back seat with water pouring in on him if it rains. My wife is also concerned about mold in the headliner that has now been saturated, and it's right where the rear curtain airbag is, so that can't be good either.

I called the dealer at 745am, the service write is apologetic, but doesn't know what to do. He said he thought the brake squealing was fixed and the TSB parts were for the groaning in reverse. He doesn't know what to say about the water and window frame and simply told me to call FCA. Big help!

I emailed the service writer, service manager, Mike Manley (CEO of FCA) and Reid Bigland (Head of Ram Brand). Dealer responded that I'd hear from them by the end of the day, and of course....nothing.

I really like driving my truck, but it turns out mine was a very early production unit that happens to have a lot of issues and more keeps popping up. At this point all I want is FCA to swap it with an equivalent more recent build that doesn't have all these issues. I'd love for it to be amicable, but I suppose I'll have to get attorneys involved. What a horrendous customer experience. :-(

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
start a Lemon LAw incidient for your state.

Mass Production , some junk is going to slip through.
simpel as that
too bad you got one.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
start a Lemon LAw incidient for your state.

Mass Production , some junk is going to slip through.
simpel as that
too bad you got one.

This is pretty much where I’m at, but am hoping FCA will work with me so we don’t have to go that route. If they work with me to get it replaced I’ll be happy to drive another Ram. If I have to use lawyers to force a buyback I won’t get another FCA vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Guess he won’t be responding. Lol. He was blind copied anyway.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
wow...sorry to hear, why I don't buy first Gen anything, I had the chance to buy a brand new truck, glad they made the Classic for 2019. Tried and true"r"

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Perhaps, although my dad has a 2019 Sierra Denali and the problems are minimal compared to mine. That being said I’d still much prefer the RAM to the GMC but if my ownership experience doesn’t improve I don’t see how I could purchase another FCA product.

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This is pretty much where I’m at, but am hoping FCA will work with me so we don’t have to go that route. If they work with me to get it replaced I’ll be happy to drive another Ram. If I have to use lawyers to force a buyback I won’t get another FCA vehicle.

I highly suggest you consult a lemon law attorney ASAP. Doesn't cost you anything and they'll get you every penny back that you spent. For various reasons I won't go into I know exactly how you feel and therefore don't trust any mfg to do the right thing unless forced. I agree with what was posted prior, mass produced mechanical items sometimes have flaws that don't mean ALL are bad. I'd give 'em another shot and buy again.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lemon law that bih.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FCA corporate called me today. I guess my email to the CEO got somewhere. Def way above RAM Cares. All of a sudden the dealer was able to get it in tomorrow and give me another 1500 as a loaner instead of a Journey two weeks from now. FCA wants an engineer to look at it and try one more time to fix it, but I’m really unhappy about water coming into contact with an airbag and associate wiring.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good luck with the upcoming inspection. Make sure you get a copy of all dealer actions, services, engineering report, etc...for your files.

A lemon law incident may, or may not, be a good avenue to follow depending on 1) How FCA treats your case, and, 2) your state's law.

Oregon’s Lemon Law only applies to new vehicles: As indicated by the Oregon Department of Justice, within 2 years or 24,000 miles from the purchase or lease of a new vehicle, the owner of that vehicle may be eligible for compensation if all of the following conditions are met:

• A part of the vehicle that is covered by a manufacturer warranty is not working and this malfunction would significantly affect operation, safety or value of the vehicle.
  • The malfunction is reported to the manufacturer or dealer, so that the manufacturer or dealer can fix the malfunction.
  • There have been at least three unsuccessful attempts by the dealer or manufacturer to fix the malfunction, unless the malfunction could cause "injury or death," in which case only one unsuccessful attempt needs to be made. Alternatively, the vehicle may qualify for protection if it takes a dealer or manufacturer 30 or more business days to fix the malfunction.
As you can see, there are conditions that have to be met to qualify under the law. There is nothing wrong with consulting an attorney regarding the laws in your state. You are consulting, not pursuing a lemon law buyback at that point. It's always good to have options.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
FCA corporate called me today. I guess my email to the CEO got somewhere. Def way above RAM Cares. All of a sudden the dealer was able to get it in tomorrow and give me another 1500 as a loaner instead of a Journey two weeks from now. FCA wants an engineer to look at it and try one more time to fix it, but I’m really unhappy about water coming into contact with an airbag and associate wiring.

Not going to lie but I would of just said hold on the loaner. Replace my MF truck with another one this is madness. No way were they giving that thing back to me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not going to lie but I would of just said hold on the loaner. Replace my MF truck with another one this is madness. No way were they giving that thing back to me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That’s the plan.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
NEVER MIND MY POST. I WAS LATE TO THE PARTY.

- The Blue Mule

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you contacted @RamCares here on the forum?
They actually get **** done and pretty fast too

- The Blue Mule

They are 100% useless. I emailed Mike Manley, CEO of FCA. An executive assistant called me within 2 hours and magically the dealer who couldn’t see my truck for 2 weeks or provide a loaner is loaning me another 1500 tomorrow morning. Doesn’t matter...the issues are not fixable.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They are 100% useless. I emailed Mike Manley, CEO of FCA. An executive assistant called me within 2 hours and magically the dealer who couldn’t see my truck for 2 weeks or provide a loaner is loaning me another 1500 tomorrow morning. Doesn’t matter...the issues are not fixable.

If you think the solution to one truck’s problems is to email the CEO of the company you’re mistaken. He gets thousands of emails a day, and your email is not only going to someone who can’t help you, hate to put it this way but your issues are below him. There are much more efficient ways of getting your problems handled. What you did was like emailing the president over a burnt out red light in a town of 200 people. Not the most efficient way to go for sure, and I wouldn’t recommend it. There are procedures and departments set up for issues like this.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depends on the CEO. No doubt it didn't even hit his desk and was vetted by an executive assistant, but something was in place so it wasn't ignored (which is what i think most of us think would likely have happened) or that EA is earning their pay. I don't think it hurts to try. Worst case scenario it got ignored, but you could at least say the effort was made by the OP to get this issue addressed at the highest level possible. Especially if he ended up going to a lawyer to try to take this further. Too often you can go through all the correct procedures and nothing gets done. I don't see anything wrong with this myself:)

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you think the solution to one truck’s problems is to email the CEO of the company you’re mistaken. He gets thousands of emails a day, and your email is not only going to someone who can’t help you, hate to put it this way but your issues are below him. There are much more efficient ways of getting your problems handled. What you did was like emailing the president over a burnt out red light in a town of 200 people. Not the most efficient way to go for sure, and I wouldn’t recommend it. There are procedures and departments set up for issues like this.

I'm not naive....I know he'd never get it himself, but CEO's do have assistants that read their email....sometimes teams of people. The fact is that Ram Cares takes 48 hours for each call turn around...the last time I worked with them it took a month to get a simple answer that was unsatisfactory anyway. I sent this email at 9am today, and had a phone call to me at 10:42am....I didn't even provide my phone number! The dealer wouldn't return my calls to schedule another service and the last time I talked to them they threw up their hands and said they didn't know how to fix it. After I got off the phone with the woman from FCA corporate, she called the dealer who then called me and immediately set up service for tomorrow with another Ram 1500 loaner....they'd previously only loan me a Dodge Journey. So, if there is a more efficient way to handle it, I'd like to know what it is.

When you call Ram Cares, they first call you back and take notes, and then tell you they'll escalate it and it will be 48 hours before you hear back. Then they call you and you have to reiterate your issues again, and then they tell you another 24 - 48 hours to hear back again, and this goes around in circles until (as far as they're concerned) you hopefully go away. If you don't go away, this will continue for another few weeks and the dealer will putz around and tell you they can't get parts, they can't diagnose, etc and you'll never get anything resolved. That sounds way more efficient.

I work for a large consumer electronics company as a product manager, and when a dissatisfied customer emails the CEO's office, they basically have the support team prioritize that person ahead of all other support cases and make sure that person has a positive experience. It's rare the CEO himself will ever read customer emails unless his admin pushes it to him, but it does get the right attention anyway.