Increasing tow capacity of 2018 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 HO cummins diesel
I've posted before about searching for a 5th wheel and the truck to tow it with. After much research I thought I'd found the truck that would tow anything we found, a 2018 3500 mega cab with the Aisin transmission and 3.74 rear, as we were looking at RV's in the 16-17k lb range. Recently, though, I came across New Horizon RV's and they are a bit weightier being in the 18k lb+ range. Fully loaded this puts them in the 22 - 24k lb range. So, my question here is increasing the tow capacity to 30k (per the towing table) as simple as changing the rear drive to 4.1? From the table all other specs are equal.

Tom

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
So, my question here is increasing the tow capacity to 30k (per the towing table) as simple as changing the rear drive to 4.1? From the table all other specs are equal.
I've looked at this too...I have 3.73 gears and my max tow for my truck is 13792lbs. (21500lbs GCVWR) because of the 3.73 gear ratio. If I had the 4.10 ratio gear, it would increase my GCVWR to 25000lbs., netting a 17292lbs. tow rating, an increase of 3500lbs. The problem is, that once the truck is made, the payload and towing capacity is it. It doesn't change on the trucks specs/paper.

If you have a 4x4 you would have to change both front & rear gear sets.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The part about the vehicle GVWR and GAWR are set from when it's built and without recertification can't be legally upgraded. Depending on your state the vehicle GCVWR can be changed on what it's plated for. Some states have hard limits depending on the truck's Class rating which is based on the GVWR.
A trailer in the +20K lbs range is pushing the dually territory

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
With the towing table...(I am guessing you have a diesel)4.10 gears are only available on a dually. So the large increase is also because of the dual rear wheels

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Short answer: Changing the gearing increases the towing capacity.
Long answer: Different limits apply, but manufacturer towing capacity is not one of them. In most if not all jurisdictions a class C drivers license limits the combined weight to 26000 lbs. Depending on state there might be all sorts of obscure exemptions for RVs but then you might need to argue with troopers in other states.
Law enforcement checks the vehicle and axle ratings, obviously you can't exceed any one of them, and tow vehicle plus trailer GVWR need to be under 26000 lbs unless you have a CDL. Tow ratings merely state what the truck can pull without overheating, stalling out or premature failure. Commercial hot shot operators often register their vehicles for gross combined weight exceeding the manufacturer rating.

OP
OP
T

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 HO cummins diesel
Thanks for the replies. I neglected to mention the truck is a 4x4 dually. I'll check on the recertification. Shouldn't be too big a deal, hopefully. I forgot about the CDL license requirements due to the weight. Have to look into that.

Researching how the frames are built on 5th wheels the New Horizons seem to be the best, especially since they reinforce the front platform with plates between the high-beam and vertical pillars. Anyway, don't want to hijack my own thread.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Making sure your truck is registered for the weight, don't exceed Axle weight ratings, and don't exceed the tire weight ratings are the rule of thumb and is all you get checked for in a scale house DOT inspection. The manufacturer max towing is a suggestion. There's plenty of guys running commercial Hotshots and they will tell you the same. I follow one guy on YouTube that has been all over the country hotshotting a Ram 2500 that he swapped for a dually rear and gets DOT inspected often never having an issue. He is non CDL so he stays below the 26k combined for that reason. And he is based out of PA.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I've posted before about searching for a 5th wheel and the truck to tow it with. After much research I thought I'd found the truck that would tow anything we found, a 2018 3500 mega cab with the Aisin transmission and 3.74 rear, as we were looking at RV's in the 16-17k lb range. Recently, though, I came across New Horizon RV's and they are a bit weightier being in the 18k lb+ range. Fully loaded this puts them in the 22 - 24k lb range. So, my question here is increasing the tow capacity to 30k (per the towing table) as simple as changing the rear drive to 4.1? From the table all other specs are equal.

Tom
The key number is the payload capacity.

Yours is bout 4,200.

You need to know the pin weight of the 5th; fully loaded.