Installation of Amp Research Power Steps on 5th Gen help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Has anyone installed Amp Research Power Steps themselves on a 5th gen 2500? I have the two purple trigger wires pulled in through the firewall into the cab. Those go to the matching two purplw wires on the supplied OBD interface plug. However, there is a two wire plug coming off that OBD interface plug that they say to plug into themdual row "green header" in the truck. The diagram they provided in the instructions formwhere that green header is located is pretty useless.

Anyone know where the "green header" is?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
This is the same as my 2018. Look slightly to the left of the OBD port and up a little. It maybe be right behind a thick wire harness. Just plug it in an empty spot.

7409A2DD-176D-43A3-A0D2-C3481C2DF485.jpeg

Matthew Sawyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I'm having an issues as well. I completed the install on a 2500 Cummins crew cab. Amp power step XL. Followed every step. They look great. They retracted when I inserted the fuse. They will not deploy when the doors, any door, opens. No LED either. Now it says to plug that little connector in to "ANY PORT" on the "GREEN" Connector. ... Well there are two Green connectors side by side, Not sure if they are really one in the same as its super tight fit up there. ME being me... Choose the Easy port.. The Green connector on the right, closest to the pedals.. and one up high all by its self.. and now I can not get the damn thing out to try a different port.... The Truck is not telling the controller that the doors opened.. All I can guess... I've pulled both motors, reinstalled with the steps extend.. the doors are closed.. Insert the Fuse... Steps retract.. Open door. NO JOY!! I've hard wired the purple wires with together, Following the color code with the Purple and black to the purple and black. Reinstall the fuse.. NO JOY...

Not sure where to go from here.. I cant see how there tiny little connector is held in to try the other side or even a different port... Anyone have any insight into this issue? I seems to have everything connected correctly...

Matthew Sawyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Neverminded. I got it.. Had to take my lower dash apart to get the the "2" green connectors... Work like heck to remove them from the mounting bracket... Then use a tiny Allen wrench to compress the little plastic keep on the little plastic connector...

THEN! Plug the little tiny connector into a port on the "Green Connector" "Closest" the the "Driver" Thank AMP... one simply little sentence.... I've read it 5 times... CLOSEST THE THE DRIVER!!! THE GREEN CONNECTOR CLOSEST THE THE DRIVER!!! LOL... Damn..

But I have full Joy now.. All doors work.. All lights come one. JOY JOY..

Maybe this is just for 2101?? Doubt it.. Closest to the driver... The Green one... OR your taking your lower dash apart for a 5 sec mistake...