Installed LockPick CHR558

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed the Lockpick CHR558 in my truck yesterday. I like all the features, but so far the best is the front camera. My PowerWagon has an additional 3" lift beside the 2" it came with. So, it's hard to see over the hood when I'm parking or offroad. The front camera comes on under 7mph then turns off and goes back to Navigation or Radio as I accelerate. I'm going to install turn signal cameras soon. It also streams movies from my ipad and plays the sound through the trucks speakers. So far a good purchase.

imagejpg1-3.jpg

imagejpg2-4.jpg

Last edited:

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also installed it in my 2013 Ram. The harness is way overpriced in my opinion. I have a front and extra rear camera for towing. the GPS feature is nice but i'm already tired of the front cam blocking out the radio under 7mph and it can't be turned off. The ipod hookup is useless to me since I have the stock hookup for that. The rca jacks to hook up a dvd player is nice though.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
That is so cool! I didn't know you could do that! Going to get one when I buy my new truck, thanks for the post!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Riskwriter101

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also installed it in my 2013 Ram. The harness is way overpriced in my opinion. I have a front and extra rear camera for towing. the GPS feature is nice but i'm already tired of the front cam blocking out the radio under 7mph and it can't be turned off. The ipod hookup is useless to me since I have the stock hookup for that. The rca jacks to hook up a dvd player is nice though.

It was expensive, but since the unit integrates the cameras and streaming video from my 30 pin iPad, I like it. You can turn off the auto front camera and use the remote to manually switch to it. I haven't hooked up a DVD player or headrest monitors, but I guess I might eventually.

lifeofelove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was expensive, but since the unit integrates the cameras and streaming video from my 30 pin iPad, I like it. You can turn off the auto front camera and use the remote to manually switch to it. I haven't hooked up a DVD player or headrest monitors, but I guess I might eventually.

What front camera did you install?
Was the camera installation easy?

OP
OP
Riskwriter101

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What front camera did you install?
Was the camera installation easy?

I installed a tiny Sony 480 TVL HD camera. It's not really true HD I have real HD cameras around my house, but for a front camera on a vehicle it definitely serves it's purpose. It was very easy to install. I mounted the camera first, then ran the RCA and power wires under the winch bracket. Zip tied, then the power went to a fuse that only has ignition power and I took the RCA through the fire wall to the LockPick unit which is mounted under the radio. In all the camera took about 1 1/2 hours to complete. IM trying to figure the best way to hook up the turn signal cameras so it looks clean.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't played with mine much yet. How do you turn the front cam off so it stays off without reactivating when you slow down below 7mph? I've turned mine off when stopped but it comes back on again the next time I stop.

OP
OP
Riskwriter101

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't played with mine much yet. How do you turn the front cam off so it stays off without reactivating when you slow down below 7mph? I've turned mine off when stopped but it comes back on again the next time I stop.

I thought when you turn off the automatic camera function (second camera menu) it would not turn on under 7 mph. I could be wrong I haven't tried that yet.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The instructions they provide aren't very detailed but I've tried turning the cams off with the remote. It will turn mine off but they reactivate again next time I slow down under 7mph. Maybe my module needs an update or I have to do something else besides hitting the camera off button.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I loved that front camera feature on the lockpick. Unfortunately, I had to remove the lockpick because of issues. I use my USB port in the glove box all the time and the lockpick kept causing the USB port to drop and switch back to radio.

I now have my front and rear cameras displaying in a dual screen rearview mirror. Plus I put a video jack by my hitch so when I hook up my camper, the camera on the back of the camper displays on there.

Let me know if any of you have the USB port issue with the lockpick. I'm curious to know if others have the issue. The company admitted to me that they've had a few with Rams that had the issue, and there was no fix.

Ray

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Does the CHR558 allow the viewing of video on the 8.4 while in motion using the USB or SD card media input? I have a Galaxy S4 or the media will have to come from USB or SD cards.

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone still interested in doing side mirror cameras? I have the lockpick in my 2014 RT Sport and I just read over this link, the work seemed great, but I don't know since I have power mirrors- anyone done this with power mirrors? also, is there a better place to put a camera than in the mirror?

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/turn_signal_camera_install-64870/index2.html

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My customtronix front cam is installed in the emblem, I may switch it to where yours is..The point of view from the emblem isn't very helpful IMO.

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the turn signal install thread referenced above. My mirrors are power, no problems with the install and they work great.

And yes you can stream video to the head unit from your phone while driving.