Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
LOOKING FOR SOME HELP

I just installed an OEM backup camera in my 2017 2500 using a custom harness from M2Mods. I rented an AutoEnginuity to turn on the camera in the BCM. I have set the settings I think that are needed in the BCM but apparently I am missing a setting. When I shift into reverse I am only getting a blue screen that states "Camera Unavailable". NOTHING ELSE (like check your surroundings which should show up). I also do not have a "Camera" button on the CONTROL screen. There should be one that shows up in the middle of the control screen (under the Rear View Mirror button and between the heated seats controls that are on the left and right). My best guess after checking the connections is that I am missing a setting in the BCM that needs to be set and that is why no CAMERA icon on the control screen and getting a blue screen as mentioned. If anyone here has done this with an AE tool PLEASE post up the settings/menu that you used to activate the backup camera............thanks

Jeff Rappleye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Jeff,
To keep from spending the whole day ... Go to post 10 where you will find relevant post links to help you track down your issue ...

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/974372

You will need to verify every wire at each connector that you worked on. Check them against pictures from others linked at post 10. It's also possible that you have a bad ground? or didn't fully seat the pins.

Post pictures of each connector clearly showing where you installed each wire and someone will be able to verify it again the directions/others' pictures.

M² Mods.

Thanks, went to the dealer to activate and they said the issue was a ground. After rechecking and making sure all connections were good, eventually determined that the issue was with the plug to the radio. As I was checking I found that the ground wire for the harness was not sleeved and was actually touching the support plate behind the radio. Now that it is wrapped, no more issue.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOOKING FOR SOME HELP

I just installed an OEM backup camera in my 2017 2500 using a custom harness from M2Mods. I rented an AutoEnginuity to turn on the camera in the BCM. I have set the settings I think that are needed in the BCM but apparently I am missing a setting. When I shift into reverse I am only getting a blue screen that states "Camera Unavailable". NOTHING ELSE (like check your surroundings which should show up). I also do not have a "Camera" button on the CONTROL screen. There should be one that shows up in the middle of the control screen (under the Rear View Mirror button and between the heated seats controls that are on the left and right). My best guess after checking the connections is that I am missing a setting in the BCM that needs to be set and that is why no CAMERA icon on the control screen and getting a blue screen as mentioned. If anyone here has done this with an AE tool PLEASE post up the settings/menu that you used to activate the backup camera............thanks
Good luck Sir , wish I could help . I got the dealer to flash mine maybe someone will chime in [emoji1303]
I think RicksRam has an AE tool?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
LOOKING FOR SOME HELP

Ricks Ram has a buddy that also needs to activate the camera via the AE tool and may be able to report back once he gets the chance.

As a reference here are the settings mjf6175 (Mike) has Identified so far that don't seem to be working fully ...

1) ECU Config 03
-Rear Camera Present

2) LIN Module Customer Programmable Features
-Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled

3) Vehicle Config 1
-Rear View Camera

4) Vehicle Config CSM1
-Rear Camera Customer Settings Menu
-Rear View Camera Guidelines Settings Menu

5) Vehicle Config CSM2
-Rear View Camera Delay Customer Settings

M² Mods.

Fontaine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

First off I want to say great thread, lots of great information.

I’ll be installing the OEM camera in just a few hours and have a quick question, this may be a stupid one but I’ll ask anyway. At any point throughout the installation procedure is there anywhere were I can’t stop and turn on the truck without damaging anything? For instance if I’m splicing into the C5 connector and I need to use the truck for something, is there any harm in stopping and using the truck? I can’t imagine there is, but I’d just like to ask people who have already competed this, just as a reassurance.

Thanks in advance.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,

First off I want to say great thread, lots of great information.

I’ll be installing the OEM camera in just a few hours and have a quick question, this may be a stupid one but I’ll ask anyway. At any point throughout the installation procedure is there anywhere were I can’t stop and turn on the truck without damaging anything? For instance if I’m splicing into the C5 connector and I need to use the truck for something, is there any harm in stopping and using the truck? I can’t imagine there is, but I’d just like to ask people who have already competed this, just as a reassurance.

Thanks in advance.
You would obviously need to have the C-5 reconnected , and that pretty much goes for anything else as well . So long as you tidey up the area and reconnect such as the PDC , C-5 , radio and tailgate disconnect you would be fine using the truck Imo [emoji1303].
Make sure you disconnect the neg battery terminal while doing any part of the install !

Let us know here how it goes & good luck Sir .

Fontaine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would obviously need to have the C-5 reconnected , and that pretty much goes for anything else as well . So long as you tidey up the area and reconnect such as the PDC , C-5 , radio and tailgate disconnect you would be fine using the truck Imo [emoji1303].
Make sure you disconnect the neg battery terminal while doing any part of the install !

Let us know here how it goes & good luck Sir .

Pretty much what I figured, thanks for the reply. Time to start!

Fontaine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So how do you actually get the casing off the C5 connector, that’s where I’m at now and can’t figure it out.

Lundy37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great thread so much information! Where did you guys get the pin connectors for re routing the wire to the harness?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
LOOKING FOR SOME HELP

Ricks Ram has a buddy that also needs to activate the camera via the AE tool and may be able to report back once he gets the chance.

As a reference here are the settings mjf6175 (Mike) has Identified so far that don't seem to be working fully ...

1) ECU Config 03
-Rear Camera Present

-Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines Enabled

3) Vehicle Config 1
-Rear View Camera

4) Vehicle Config CSM1
-Rear View Camera Guidelines Settings Menu

5) Vehicle Config CSM2
-Rear View Camera Delay Customer Settings
Small bump/update ...

Determined Mike's 17 Ram Reg Cab/8 ft bed is also missing 1 wire for camera power from connector behind the left front wheel to the PDC F95. Sent him the additional wire today.

But he still doesn't have all the needed camera settings/buttons active on the radio using the AE tool. If anyone can confirm the settings they have used before for him please reply back.2eb0c39d1275963b6c2c206cd705a822.jpg

M² Mods.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Finally, mostly success. Got the additional one wire harness from Mpgrimm/M2Mods (I must say their harnesses look BETTER than OEM) installed and bingo I got a backup camera (pic below). BUT........I have tried all the settings I can think of with the AutoEnginuity and cannot get the camera icon on the CONTROL screen, nor can I get the camera listed in the SETTINGS menu. The only camera function I have on the 8.4 screen is the "Camera Delay" of the screen when shifting from reverse into drive. I have no way to turn on the camera from the screen. Unless someone here has the magic answer of what settings are needed I just may have to buy an OBD Genie which I of course would rather not do.

I must mention the tremendous help I received from Mpgirmm and DeereGuy. Without their support and being patient with my noob questions, I would not have been able to do the camera (and the heated seats, heated wheel, etc, etc). If you are thinking about doing these mods you should reach out to them.

Below pic shows Mpgrimm's harness (the shiny one on top of the 2) and the factory harness (lower one, dull black) just before the C322 connector. The pic is taken while under the truck looking toward the front, the front left wheel is just in front of it.

405161[/ATTACH]']rdvD1pgl.jpg

405163[/ATTACH]']9Y4hgxjl.png

Attachments

• rdvD1pgl.jpg
    rdvD1pgl.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 9Y4hgxjl.png
    9Y4hgxjl.png
    503 bytes · Views: 0

shady360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. I've been reading through and there is a TON of info. So, I have a 2009 Dodge Ram with the RES radio. Doesn't have Uconnect and doesn't have a backup camera. Is this is doable, and has anyone done this? Thanks so much in advance.

Jay

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all. I've been reading through and there is a TON of info. So, I have a 2009 Dodge Ram with the RES radio. Doesn't have Uconnect and doesn't have a backup camera. Is this is doable, and has anyone done this? Thanks so much in advance.

Jay
Hey Jay , this kit is for the 2013 & subsequent year models...

I'm not sure about the RES radios , maybe someone will chime in [emoji1303]

Welcome tho the Forum Sir [emoji16]

Fontaine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just got the camera activated at the dealer, and I got the blue screen “camera system unavailable”

What did I mess up? Haha

EDIT: Never mind, got it figured out, the connectors in the plug under the dash weren't fully seated in the clip, and I never had the grey terminal moved into the correct position. Camera now has life! Thanks to all the contributors in this thread!

Last edited:

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Just wanted to update my last post and provide maybe helpful info for anyone else who installs an OEM backup camera in their Ram. As a point of reference, my Ram is a 2017 SLT 2500 (Cummins) and added an OEM backup camera using the custom harness made by M2Mods. After installation the camera has to be activated and there are 3 ways to do this: visit the dealer and have the sales code added; use an AutoEnginuity (AE) and make the BCM changes needed; buy an OBD Genie.

I first went with using the AE. I found the following settings in the AE menu that pertained to the backup camera:
1) ECU Config 03
-Rear Camera =Present

-Rear View Camera Dynamic Grid Lines =Enabled

3) Vehicle Config 1
-Rear View Camera

4) Vehicle Config CSM1

5) Vehicle Config CSM2
-Rear View Camera Delay Customer Settings Menu

After applying the above settings in the BCM with the AE the backup camera was activated for the most part. It turned on when shifting into reverse and I had the dynamic grid lines as well. But what I did not have was the ability to turn on the camera from the CONTROLS screen (there are 2 ways to turn on the BU camera=shifting into reverse or using the CONTROL screen). Posted below is a screen shot of what the CONTROL screen looks like in a Ram with the BU camera;

405805[/ATTACH]']aZ70f63l.jpg

Here is a pic of my screen:
405807[/ATTACH]']MjpSpdol.jpg

After attempting several other settings in the BCM with the AE and not being successful I went with Plan B to get the function on the CONTROL screen. Plan B was using the OBD Genie. I figured that I was somehow missing a setting(s) that would turn on the function. So I contacted Infotainment and specifically asked if their backup camera Genie would give me the same functionality as OEM and be able to turn on the camera by either shifting into reverse or using the Control screen. They advised "YES". So I ordered one and loaded the Genie up. NO JOY. Called them up and advised that it did not do as promised, it did not give me the CONTROLS screen icon. After some additional phone calls and emails I sent back the Genie for their inspection. So either they loaded the Genie wrong (possible) OR they were unaware about the CONTROLS screen function and never addressed this which I think is the more likely answer. At this point they said they will advise me if they are able to correct/add the Controls screen function.

Attachments

• aZ70f63l.jpg
    aZ70f63l.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MjpSpdol.jpg
    MjpSpdol.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic information sir and thanks for taking the time to help others [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Potatoehemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know if this has been posted anywhere, but is there a reason why my power locking tailgate doesn’t work after getting my camera installed?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I don’t know if this has been posted anywhere, but is there a reason why my power locking tailgate doesn’t work after getting my camera installed?
Nope. It should work. Maybe they forgot to hook it back up.

M² Mods.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out this connector just above and aft of your spare tire .
It's sockets #7 & #8 for the tailgate lock wires . If they are installed maybe they reinstalled them backwards .

f93d429f17eb42ce6c03565e796a460b.jpg30bf62fe548ca690944112e4e5a2394d.jpg76e9fb105417ce17f8bfa1d3c2cb2d28.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
And inside the tailgate (remove panel) check to make sure they hooked the new "Y" harness back up to both the camera and the locking solenoid...0a2676b6255b4838d10fc12cdc6f1c59.jpg

M² Mods.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca