Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zany91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately I'm past a $500 dollar total investment at this point, both dealers charged me 120 bucks each for their time, so I'm at 240 dollar loss and have nothing to show for it. Tonight I updated the RA2 software to version 07.03.05.00 hoping that would fix it but no luck. I also read that some RA2 units are non compatible with the reverse camera, is there a way to tell which are and which are not?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, first post on this forum, I'm looking for guidance. I have a 2013 1500 Express vin (1C6RR7KT8DS531803), RA1 Factory, with power locking tailgate. I bought a RA2 off ebay from a 2015 2500 Removed from VIN (3C6UR5DL0FG526861) I got the security pin from the dealer and hooked it up, everything good, about a month later i added steering wheel controls with the steering harness, hooked right up no problems. I then installed the Mopar factory Reverse camera kit 82214240AB. I installed the kit exactly how the instructions said. Ive read about 70 pages worth of this post and my brain is fried. I took the truck to the dealer and had them flash the XAC code. After 2 hours they came out and said something isnt working. The code is in the truck but the camera isnt working. When put in reverse NOTHING happens, no blue screen no "check surroundings", Nothing. Everything else works. From the reading ive done this means that the code insnt flashed correctly. So with me doubting the dealers ability to flash a code and paying them $125 I went to another dealer. Same story with a bit more detail, they told me yes the code was already there like the previous dealer said, they also attempted to flash it again, once again they said it wasnt working. I questioned the technician about if it could possibly be the Newer Radio. He said that he could not add the RA2 to their system because my truck was originally only RA1 and they cant add what wasnt listed to the VIN. I trippled checked all my wiring. I verified continuity from radio to rear camera and 12v to rear camera using a giant jumper. Also verified voltage at fuse 95. Gray blue wire 31, Gray orange 32, bare 33. Im at a loss and need some help please!!

**forgot to mention, my power locking tailgate is working correctly with the new body harness. Just nothing related to the reverse camera

@Zany91
message me your phone number and I will give you a call tomorrow when I get back up.

A separate possibility may be the software version on the radio (though unlikely if its a 2015 ra2. What's the PN?) Also, post pictures of the backside of every connector so we can see pictures of the wires you installed in relation to the others. Might be something you are overlooking that myself or others may catch.

Zany91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinking it could be the software I updated it last night, from 7.0.x.x to 7.3.5.0, attached are pictures of the radio I'll get some of the connectors too

20180306_191443.jpg

20180306_191426.jpg

20180306_191435.jpg

Zany91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a picture of the connections except inside the tailgate and the purple wire spliced with the blue orange since it's just for lines.20180307_102352.jpg 20180307_102900.jpg 20180307_102426.jpg

20180307_102434.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You definitely have a 2015 Ram ra2 radio. The connections I see in the pictures look good.

After 2 dealer visits and no display on the RA2 when in reverse, it sounds to me like the XAC code is not properly loaded. (especially when it doesn't show up on the Mopar.com owners page under your dealer installed options).

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Deleted

Zany91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: The issue has been resolved. The problem was the with RA2 Unit itself. For whatever reason it was not pulling the XAC code from the BCM. I bought a older style RA2 off a 2014 model with the long back not the flat back. After I installed this new .. older unit the camera fired right up. With the Grid lines working. Now I would still like to know why my newer 2015 RA2 was not able to pull the XAC code from the BCM.. a question maybe someone else can one day solve. But my wiring was 100% correct. I guess im out the cost of a Radio and 1 extra 125 dollar trip to the dealer. At least I can sell the other RA2 unit,, with the disclaimer that the Backup camera did not work in a 2013 1500.

Zany91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I want to to say thanks to Mike and Rick both. You guys helped me narrow it down to the Radio and find a suitable replacement RA2, plus the added useage of the microphone mirror that I needed anyway, can't thank you guys enough for your time!!

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Finally got to work on installing the Mopar backup cam with a twist. Sometimes I'll have a cabover camper in the bed which means ... no tailgate! So I removed the camera from the tailgate handle and mounted it just above the license plate. Last thing to hookup was the red power wire to the PDC and of course my ruck doesn't have that fuse populated. I did put +12volts to the red wire to confirm the camera works and presto it does ;-) The grid lines are a bit odd as they curve towards the ends? still move with the steering wheel but they never point straight back?!?! Once I get Power from the PDC wired up I'll take pictures. Also I still have to come up with a clean "cover" for the camera but for the time being it'll work. Whatcha guys think?

backup cam cropped 2.JPG

backup cam cropped 1.JPG

lost honda pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just wanted to throw a huge thanks out to all the folks in this thread (and many others, including JeepGuy for making his findings so accessible) who provided the info needed for me to get this installed, integrated, and fully functional.

I have a '16 2500 crew SLT with the Cummins, and i saved ~$80 over buying the Mopar kit and was able to install it much cleaner than the Mopar methodology. A few part numbers here & there, a trip to the junkyard for some Dodge Caliber harness plugs, and a few hours of reading and I'm good to go. Now I can stop backing into my flatbed to find the hitch :banana-mario:

Jonny Walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1955AADA-FAD4-4835-8E38-FB7FC884C599.jpeg Need a check .... have an RA-2 and installed the backup camera. This is the view I am getting. The grid lines work but not sure about blank screen on the sides. Does this look right to you (See pic)?. I have double, tripple, and quadruple checked wiring. Picture seems off to me. If I could just get confirmation I will be able to sleep tonight. Thanks in advance.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Need a check .... have an RA-2 and installed the backup camera. This is the view I am getting. The grid lines work but not sure about blank screen on the sides. Does this look right to you (See pic)?. I have double, tripple, and quadruple checked wiring. Picture seems off to me. If I could just get confirmation I will be able to sleep tonight. Thanks in advance.

Looks the same as @R.L.K. 's RA2 before upgrading to the Ra4. See his post 423...
http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1098810.

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

Jimdoug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding C5 connector. Just finished the install of backup OEM camera (not flashed yet) and had to rework the C5 connector a few times to find that like Jkelb09 notted, the cam latch on the C5 connector is now my problem. The cam latch gear after removal and installation is now not as tight as before due to plastic fatigue on the gear.
Dose anyone know a sorce for replacing the plastic housing the C5 connector. I don't believe I would reccomend the OEM backup kit due to the need to tap into the C5 connector

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding C5 connector. Just finished the install of backup OEM camera (not flashed yet) and had to rework the C5 connector a few times to find that like Jkelb09 notted, the cam latch on the C5 connector is now my problem. The cam latch gear after removal and installation is now not as tight as before due to plastic fatigue on the gear.
Dose anyone know a sorce for replacing the plastic housing the C5 connector. I don't believe I would reccomend the OEM backup kit due to the need to tap into the C5 connector
I believe M2mods a vendor here on the forum may be able to point you in the right direction Sir [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There may be a connector repair kit on the Mopar dcc tools connector site, if not I may be able to chase it down. I may have saved the connector sheet with my 2013 schematics that had the yazaki PN. It will be a bit before I have the free time to chat or down though. I will post back it I do.

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

Jeff Rappleye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Without spending all day reading the whole thread, can someone help me. I did the install and screwed up with the radio connections and got the Uconnect lockout screen, took to dealer to activate and had radio replaced under extended warranty. So that is good and I get the grid lines and functionality but the screen is distorted. I rechecked all the wiring, tightness of the ground, resoldered the connections at the PDC and BCU, but no change. Could it be since I had to swap out the pins from the 1-3 to the 31-33 or should I open up the tailgate and check all of that wiring as well cause im pretty sure that is good.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Jeff,
To keep from spending the whole day ... Go to post 10 where you will find relevant post links to help you track down your issue ...

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/974372

You will need to verify every wire at each connector that you worked on. Check them against pictures from others linked at post 10. It's also possible that you have a bad ground? or didn't fully seat the pins.

Post pictures of each connector clearly showing where you installed each wire and someone will be able to verify it again the directions/others' pictures.

M² Mods.

Last edited: