Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Also, post a picture of the back of your radio connectors as linked in post 10. My money is on 31,32,33 being swapped with pins 1,2,3 (can bus & airbag deployment signal).

Add rear view pictures of the rest of the connectors you worked on as well.

M² Mods.
Will go and take some pics shortly

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Looking at the front of the C-5 Connector sockets 31,32&33 are the lower right , looking from the backside of the C-5 connector they are the lower left .

Look on the radio male pins side , on my RA2 pin 31 was clearly marked , this helped me determine where to populate the C-5 connector.
Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
confirming they are on the lower right on the front side. Pictures to follow.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
From Post 26 (from link list on post 10)...

240adf100aff79878cd582ea69b977c5.jpg

2063f815793d13e232030134dc30ed51.jpg

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Ok here the pics... Starting from the back moving forward.

1) Tailgate Connector after I installed the two wires for the lock

Tailgate.jpg

2) PDC PK/YL at position 13

PDC.jpg

3) C5

C5.jpg

4) Connector under kick panel (both sides)

KickPanel_1.jpg

KickPanel_2.jpg

5) The moment you have all been waiting for the 31, 32, 33 Radio connection

On the next post.....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank You I was so second guessing myself.
I believe all of your connectors are correct ?
I have no idea why your radio is inop ?

Are you certain the in line radio fuse is good ?
Make sure all the sockets within the Radios C-1 connector are fully installed and all other fuses are good .
Other than that , I'd say try another radio ?

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
I believe all of your connectors are correct ?
I have no idea why your radio is inop ?

Are you certain the in line radio fuse is good ?
Make sure all the sockets within the Radios C-1 connector are fully installed and all other fuses are good .
Other than that , I'd say try another radio ?

Thank You for confirming my connections. I was really wondering if they were correct.

I have checked the inline fuse for the radio. In fact even changed it with a known good fuse and there is no change.

Tomorrow morning I will re-seat all the BCM connections with battery disconnected and then try again. Regrettably I do not have a radio I can swap with.

Stay tuned and I will report back.

Many Thanks for your help!

Peter

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
I re-seated all the BCM connections and there is no change. :(

I think I will be calling the dealer to make an appointment. When it is fixed I will write an update here what the problem was.

Thank You all for your suggestions and listening ears.
Peter

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
I could not give up this easily and take my truck to the dealer. My back ground is fixing computer main frames, so I have a good understand wiring and electronics. I have 20 years experience shooting bugs and tracing circuits. Problem is, I have not found a circuit diagram for a 2016 ecoDiesel. So I thought I needed to step back and think about this in order to isolate this problem. I was going at this thinking everything that was sold to me was operational. Not saying it isn't, but it is possible that the harness or a part therein is bad. I am going to take another run at this. If the truck gets fixed today or tomorrow or next week it is not a worry as I have another car I can use. This has become a quest for me to fix!!!

I am thinking I need to isolate where the problem is.... Is the harness good or bad. Is the radio good or bad; or ultimately the BCM good or bad.

Here is what I think I may try.... Please chime in if you think I am taking the wrong approach. I don't offend easily ...so criticism is most welcome.
  1. Disconnect the harness at the tailgate, and the radio. Check the continuity of the grey/blue wire, grey/orange and ground (bare) wire
  2. Check if there is a short between any of the above mentioned wires.
  3. Disconnect the three wires to the radio (31, 32,33) and see if the radio shows any sign of life.
  4. Is the bare wire actually grounded to the vehicle or battery (thinking it may be a floating ground)
  5. Question: Is there a way to test the radio when it is removed from the vehicle ? A basic test screen would suffice. Any semblance of life would be great.
  6. Question: Is there a service test for the BCM?
  7. Question: Where does the purple wire originate from and where does it terminate?
  8. Question: Where does the red wire from the PDC #13 go to? Is it just a 12 v line?
  9. Question: Is there a schematic for a 2016 or should I just assume that 2013 - 2018 is the same?
  10. Question: Is there a pinout diagram for the BCM to test the logic?
Many Thanks for all the people who chime in and take the time to read and criticize. I have gleaned so much good information from this forum and I thank you all for your contributions.

Peter

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@retep
There's a schematic you can use in post 10 that I made awhile back showing the connections for the kit.

Pm me your number and I will give you a call at 8:30pm est during my lunch break and try to answer your questions.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
@retep
There's a schematic you can use in post 10 that I made awhile back showing the connections for the kit.

Pm me your number and I will give you a call at 8:30pm est during my lunch break and try to answer your questions.

M² Mods.

Hello All

Had horrible weather here yesterday so I waited out the thunder and started today.

1. Disconnect the harness at the tailgate, and the radio. Check the continuity of the grey/blue wire, grey/orange and ground (bare) wire
    • Continuity of each wire is good
  2. Check if there is a short between any of the above mentioned wires.
    • No Shorts between the wires from camera to radio
  3. Disconnect the three wires to the radio (31, 32,33) and see if the radio shows any sign of life.
    • No change. Radio still dead
  4. Is the bare wire actually grounded to the vehicle or battery (thinking it may be a floating ground)
    • yes the bare wire has continuity to ground.
  5. Question: Is there a way to test the radio when it is removed from the vehicle ? A basic test screen would suffice. Any semblance of life would be great.
    • No test found
  6. Question: Is there a service test for the BCM?
    • No test found
  7. Question: Where does the purple wire originate from and where does it terminate?
    • Found in schematic mentioned in Post #10 in this forum
  8. Question: Where does the red wire from the PDC #13 go to? Is it just a 12 v line?
    • Found schematic mentioned in Post #10 in this forum
  9. Question: Is there a schematic for a 2016 or should I just assume that 2013 - 2018 is the same?
    • Found schematic mentioned in Post #10 in this forum
  10. Question: Is there a pinout diagram for the BCM to test the logic?
    • None found
So there you have it. Re-seated the 31, 32, 33 connections to be sure they are tight. and touch the radio. Made sure wires tied back (old 31,32,33) are not touching.

I am out of ideas. Going to call and make an appointment. I will let you know what the fix is when I have it.

Really need to call out M² Mods and R.L.K. and thank them for their time and guidance. This forum would be know where without the two of you.

Kindest Regards
Peter

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@retep
Just a thought. Do you have any wires in pins 1,2,3 at all? You mentioned old wires at pins 31,32,33 which I wouldn't expect you to have and wanted to check...

Post 26 (from link list on post 10)...
If it was pins 1-3 that you swapped with 31 - 33. Here are the colors that are supposed to be there...
Pin # / ID# / Color / Description
1 D75 __ GY __ CAN C (+)
2 D177 _ DB __ CAN IHS (+)
3 R41 __ LB/VT AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT SIGNAL

Hopefully it didn't do anything too bad to the Radio, Can Bus, or BCM.
May try disconnecting the battery for a while, reconnecting, and seeing if it does anything. RLK had his screen go blank, disconnected Battery for 8 hrs, and it came back up.
Rear Layout
cd79b7d8e7658c258abf7ed13820f6b8.jpg
Your Connector
9c575547eaa4c5e64e3cf12212f54e4a.jpg

And Factory Connector w/wires at 1,2,3
**Look carefully & you can see the embossed '10' at the end of the row**
3d5e7f95a16c0d0fc71f4e34b1a4a210.jpg

Last edited:

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
OMFG!!! I am so humbled! That was the fix!!! I don't know what I would do without you guidance MPGrimm2.

I owe you a beers. lots of them!

Stuck the pins in, plugged it all back together, reconnected the battery and Bada Boom Bada Bing away it went. Everything works, radio, A/C friggin everything!!!!

I bow to you sir! You are a genius!

I can not wipe the grin off my face right now.

Thank You Thank You Thank You
Peter

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is awesome !! So glad you got it fixed Sir .
I've said it before and I'll say it again ..... Mpgrimm2 is terrific !!!!!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You Both are amazing at your craft.
I'm just glad you didn't go to the stealership yet , those jackwagons would have never figured this out and it would've co$t you dearly !
I've actually found a good deal with sharp techs , so they all aren't bad [emoji106]

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
I'm just glad you didn't go to the stealership yet , those jackwagons would have never figured this out and it would've co$t you dearly !
I've actually found a good deal with sharp techs , so they all aren't bad [emoji106]

Couldn't agree more! I have worked on cars all my life and refuse or resist going to the stealer unless it is absolutely required.