Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't worry about pin 33 shield. It's a non issue and is just to reduce possible engine/signal nose on the video signal.

It won't prevent a blue screen being activated on the radio by the BCM

M² Mods.
I agree on the shield wire , but why would it be missing from the OEM harness ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any new clues as to why the radio won’t let the signal in? Still going with configuration?
I'm thinking yes it's a configuration issue .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully the new dealership is as good as they say they are with troubleshooting [emoji1303]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure that shield does nothing ? Then maybe I am missing the ground wire? Only 2 wires (yellow and black) go to multipin connector in back of radio. One sends, the other returns. But no gnd?

ECD17F09-F64E-497D-81EC-1D40B1F3B91E.png

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You're over thinking this (not sure what yellow and black wire you mean). There's is no reason to suspect the harness.

Without having a diagnostic tool of your own to check the BCM settings, you will have to wait till Wednesday to see what the other dealer says.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The shield is not a ground . The shield wire runs from the camera to the radio normally . The shield is there ONLY to reduce electronic interference from other electrical items like the electronics of the engine , the air conditioner , the alternator ect ect... Essentially the shield wire reduces static in the video feed .

The shield is a non issue , your video feed is already protected by a shield wire from the factory video feed to the mirror and now with the infotainment harness to the radio your shielded .

Your issue is your trucks BCM is configured improperly to allow the radio to accept and display the complete video signal your currently receiving from the infotainment harness . You will not receive the video of the bu cam untill the BCM is configured to do so .
You can reinstall your video capable mirror and receive the bu cam video there , and when you get the BCM configured properly you will have back up cam video on both the 5" RA2 radio screen and the mirror , which is pretty cool [emoji1303]
At that point you could just remove the mirror and reinstall the mirror with microphones or not .

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sitting at another dealership. They just told me 3 hours to diagnose and chase wiring. They codes at it and still nothing. So here we go tearing no I apart again. Wonder how much this is going to cost me? Geez, it rains, it pours.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sitting at another dealership. They just told me 3 hours to diagnose and chase wiring. They codes at it and still nothing. So here we go tearing no I apart again. Wonder how much this is going to cost me? Geez, it rains, it pours.
Pretty sure it's a radio configuration issue .

Maybe the wire that sends that signal ??? Less likely a wire imo .

I'd make sure there's no charge if they can't fix it , my dealer charges $95 her hour per tech ....adds up fast .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since we know your last dealership had the radios C1 connector off and apart to install the Bluetooth I'd make sure they make sure every wire within the C1 connector is installed properly and in the correct slot .

It's easy to have multiple wires come completely loose when the C1 connectors lock is released to remove or install wires like they did for the Bluetooth upgrade [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are checking to see if sales code for video mirror is different than radio? Then they are going to call Chrysler?

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So they are keeping the truck overnight. Tentatively saying it’s a corrupt bcm as there are no codes in the bcm that they can find. So with any luck, warranty issue.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So they are keeping the truck overnight. Tentatively saying it’s a corrupt bcm as there are no codes in the bcm that they can find. So with any luck, warranty issue.
Thanks for the update Dave.
Definitely something weird going on.

M² Mods.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the update Dave.
Definitely something weird going on.

M² Mods.
I agree with Mpgrimm2 [emoji1303]

So they don't know that the back up cam code for the radio / the mirror are both the same sales code XAC ????

Well good luck Sir

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with Mpgrimm2 [emoji1303]

So they don't know that the back up cam code for the radio / the mirror are both the same sales code XAC ????

Well good luck Sir

Thank you. They can’t read any codes at all at the bcm, it’s empty, notta. The instrument panel screen between the tack and speedo (digital screen) use to flash for no reason if I was just sitting in the truck with everything off, I didn’t think anything of it. But I read today that is a symptom of malfunction bcm. Has no codes in it (or stored) and won’t accept any new codes. So the dealer is starting there. Let you know more tomorrow when they get done.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody heard of a recall on these bcm snack in 2013? Apparently mine didn’t get fixed, at least not from the dealers point of view, they can’t find evidence it was fixed due to no codes being present

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody heard of a recall on these bcm snack in 2013? Apparently mine didn’t get fixed, at least not from the dealers point of view, they can’t find evidence it was fixed due to no codes being present
I've not heard of a BCM recall ?

So are they gonna change the BCM and put in all the codes for ya ? If so you should get them to install a few extra codes for future mods

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've not heard of a BCM recall ?

So are they gonna change the BCM and put in all the codes for ya ? If so you should get them to install a few extra codes for future mods

TSB #08-018-13
Did a basic search and found the above tsb was related to the BCM & Driver Door Module for issue with outside air temp.

M² Mods.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will ask if they can throw in extra codes for future mods. Thanks Mpgrimm2 for researching the recall. Hopefully I get truck back today, if not they are going to get me loaner car